Singapore Expats

Too fat to fly

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 2:56 pm

nakatago wrote:I just realized something. What if you sat next to someone who clearly fit on the seat (i.e. not fat) but had really large arm muscles (think bulging biceps)?

You certainly don't argue with THAT!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 3:08 pm

Maybe compliment him on his fitness (or her - if shes a member of the WWE)?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 3:33 pm

It depends, does he/she hog the armrest? Then I am less than pleased. I can't stand when people take more than their fair share and make no apology for it. Some warped sense of entitlement. There's a common courtesy missing that is anything but common.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 4:05 pm

R.N.T. you bring up a good point. Who get the inner armrest? and if you are in the middle seat of a three seat row, do you get both inner armrests? I've always wondered about that? Is there a protocol involved? e.g., first come first served and if you scratch your head and the other guy usurps your position, how? :?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 4:16 pm

IMHO, it is a shared space, so no you don't automatically get it just because you're in the middle seat. Preference should be given to someone who needs it, like the person who is eating. Too many people treat it like their godgiven right.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 5:00 pm

Eating? That would be okay if they had staggered meal times. Or bring $80 worth of junk food for the 14 hr flight over to O'hara! :lol:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 6:17 pm

I just order a special meal so I always get fed first :)

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 6:31 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
nakatago wrote:I just realized something. What if you sat next to someone who clearly fit on the seat (i.e. not fat) but had really large arm muscles (think bulging biceps)?

You certainly don't argue with THAT!
Like this guy? Check out the scenes from 00:52 onwards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3KGjAQcQlA
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 6:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've always wondered about that? Is there a protocol involved? e.g., first come first served and if you scratch your head and the other guy usurps your position, how? :?
That's where the backup plan kicks in.

Eat lots of baked beans before the flight & let loose a few silent ones during. If there are any vacant seats at back of plane, you can be sure your elbow-rest-ursurping neighbour might consider relocating.

:D

changee

to sundaymorningstaple

Post by changee » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 6:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Eating? That would be okay if they had staggered meal times. Or bring $80 worth of junk food for the 14 hr flight over to O'hara! :lol:
Hi sundaymorningstaple: Possible for you to PM me? I need to ask you some stuff but I do not have enough posts to PM. If you see this message, do contact me or email me ya? Really appreciated.

devonsim (at) gmail.com

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 6:52 pm

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 7:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:R.N.T. you bring up a good point. Who get the inner armrest? and if you are in the middle seat of a three seat row, do you get both inner armrests? I've always wondered about that? Is there a protocol involved? e.g., first come first served and if you scratch your head and the other guy usurps your position, how? :?
I once sat next to a lady (only slightly overweight) who was so adverse to sharing the (admittedly narrow economy-class) armrest that she tried to put up a magazine and cushions as barrier and, when that failed (they simply fell from the armrest), noisily complained to the stewardess that I am so unreasonable and she wants me to be moved away. I said I have no problems with the arrangement and if she has any, she should be moved. That's what they then did (under her loud protests).
It was quite entertaining, really.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Fri, 26 Feb 2010 8:13 am

road.not.taken wrote:It depends, does he/she hog the armrest? Then I am less than pleased. I can't stand when people take more than their fair share and make no apology for it. Some warped sense of entitlement. There's a common courtesy missing that is anything but common.
I respect that.
Be Like Water

rattlesnake
Regular
Regular

Post by rattlesnake » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:17 am

How do you share the armrest? Seriously, they are thin and only one person can use it at a time. Do you have 20mins each or someone has the front whilst you take the back half?

Personally I think it is first in best dressed, but in a flight you have it, you lose it then you have it again - fidgeting etc means it is kind of informally shared over the course of a flight.

I do confess though, I am a serial recliner but then again have long legs so will trade comfort for an unwritten rule every time.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sun, 04 Apr 2010 6:56 pm

Splatted wrote:And I just fit into SIA seats on regular boeing flights. Going to try the A380 this april.

gotta agree with you regarding the annoying instant recliners - especially when I am trying to watch a movie and the little screen wont fold out far enough for me to get a good view whilst in the upright position.
For those that were wondering.. a little update.

A380 seats were actually quite comfortable. Once my wife and I lifted the armrest that was between us, we both had heaps of room.

Oh, and those annoying instant seat recliners.... Airbus had the forsight to allow the screen to fold out a bit further so you can still watch your favourite movie while the person in front of you is sleeping.

Screens are actually wide-screen as well, as an aside rather than square, and they moved the remote from the arm-rest to just underneat the screen... much more convenient.

edit: oh, and I forgot to mention.. heaps more legroom