Singapore Expats

Too fat to fly

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Too fat to fly

Post by ozchick » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:37 pm

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainmen ... est-flight

Well, having read about the American flight where an overweigt passenger was told to leave the flight, I can only ask why this hasn't happened sooner. The reason given was that the man posed a risk to other passengers. The airline should simply say that you "cannot fit in one seat and unless you want to purchase 2 seats then we can't take you".
Like many who who are reading this, I have also occasionally had an overweight passenger beside me who is using all of their seat and part of mine. This just isn't on. Airline seats are too small as it is. And there's the next point. Would an overweight passenger be kicked off if the plane had normal size seats? But that's never gonna happen.....

Can't open that link on this site so have posted some of it here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Silent Bob' actor Kevin Smith has spoken of his humiliation being kicked off a commercial airline flight for being too fat.

The 39-year-old indie filmmaker was already seated on a Southwest Airlines flight on Saturday night (local time) from Oakland to Burbank — both cities in California — when a flight attendant told him his size posed a "safety risk" to others, according to Smith's own tweets.

"What, was I gonna roll on a fellow passenger?" he said on Twitter.

The plane's captain determined that Smith, who was holding a standby ticket, was too big for one seat in what was a full plane and he was put on a later flight.

He was given a $100 voucher for his troubles.

Now the link works. - moderator
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 2:32 pm

AS a former fatty, I agree that they should be kicked off of planes that are full OR unless they have purchased two seats. I have to admit however, I never had a problem fitting into a single seat as I was not THAT big. And yes, an oversized person could conceivably block a row in a emergency or for that matter block an entire aisle if they were to be, for some reason immobilized.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 5:33 pm

A380's seats are a fraction bigger on some airlines

However, if a person needs a full seat to accommodate a single butt-cheek, they should either book the extra seat, or travel by cruise-liner.

I've always wondered why airlines don't have a weight cap for obese passengers. eg 150kg and under are only allowed on flight.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 6:25 pm

KLM Air France is now charging two seats for obese passengers. Rightfully so.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 7:24 pm

Superglide wrote:KLM Air France is now charging two seats for obese passengers. Rightfully so.

technically they are making it mandatory to book 2 seats for an obese passenger, 2nd seat being charged 75% of the price

however they reimburse that second seat in case the flight isn't full.

some other companies don't charge the second seat, but when the flight is full refuse the obese passenger and book him on a less full flight

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 9:02 pm

Are swa seats that cramped? Kevin smith ain't that fat.
:???:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 9:10 pm

it's not just about buying 2 seats and any fatty can fly. it's about safety as well. during an emergency evacuation, can the fatty move fast enuf? or the fatty gonna be blocking or get stuck? during a real emergency evacuation, passengers not gonna be evacuating the plane in an orderly fashion!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 9:34 pm

durain wrote:it's not just about buying 2 seats and any fatty can fly. it's about safety as well. during an emergency evacuation, can the fatty move fast enuf? or the fatty gonna be blocking or get stuck? during a real emergency evacuation, passengers not gonna be evacuating the plane in an orderly fashion!
Two sides to the coin, old lard arse would be perfect as a block and seal for a ruptured fuselage.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 6:58 am

Fair enough, if they physically need two seats to fly then buy two tickets otherwise stop moaning - People come in all shapes and sizes.

This thread sounds like a skinny arsed love fest.

Just like smokers, fat people are easy targets. Well guess what, I don't like politically correct poeple, global warming zealots and femme nazi cows. But hey, I ain't gonna try and kick you off an aeroplane

You ever think that some people don't like sitting next to a stuck up imbecile that bemoans you when you wnt to go to the toilte or stretch your legs, or behind an instant recliner. Pity we can't charge an extra seat as a barrier against such entitled flyers. Or the young fools that internet check in to cradle seats for extra leg room whilst a family holds a crying baby refusing to move until the Flight Manager comes and shifts them.

There are plenty of A-Holes on Aeroplanes and judging by the responses we just found a lot of them right here. If you want a lounge chair ride go book Business or First Class. Economy is Economy. You get what's given.
Be Like Water

Hugo_R

Post by Hugo_R » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 9:58 am

When I play regular fare I expect a tiny seat and a shitty meal. Not half another human rubbing against me. Fat people should either purchase seats they can fit in or buy 2 so that they can fit into those 2.

Alternatively the flight carrier should cater to their clientele and offer an in-between size that could cost 50% more.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:13 am

Hugo_R wrote:When I play regular fare I expect a tiny seat and a shitty meal. Not half another human rubbing against me. Fat people should either purchase seats they can fit in or buy 2 so that they can fit into those 2.

Alternatively the flight carrier should cater to their clientele and offer an in-between size that could cost 50% more.
Taking it to the other extreme to make a point, then an anorexic teenager should pay only half the fare, as she uses less space, fuel and food?

If your private space is important then get a business class seat, or find which airlines have the most generous seating layout ( they are all different) I traveled on a Greek airline and the economy seats are almost as spacious as some other airline business class.

How about buses? everyone pays the same fare and are all packed like sardines. You get what you pay for and it can only get worse as airlines try and squeeze every last penny out of a flight.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 1:15 pm

Bafana wrote: This thread sounds like a skinny arsed love fest.

There are plenty of A-Holes on Aeroplanes and judging by the responses we just found a lot of them right here.
Ouch Bafana. Didn't know you were so sensitive over the topic.

For the record, I have a teddy-bear physique and weigh in at 133kg. And I just fit into SIA seats on regular boeing flights. Going to try the A380 this april.

gotta agree with you regarding the annoying instant recliners - especially when I am trying to watch a movie and the little screen wont fold out far enough for me to get a good view whilst in the upright position.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 1:28 pm

This cracked me up in another article, where the guy tweeted:

"You f****d with the wrong sedentary processed-food eater."

:D

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 3:55 pm

durain wrote:it's not just about buying 2 seats and any fatty can fly. it's about safety as well. during an emergency evacuation, can the fatty move fast enuf? or the fatty gonna be blocking or get stuck? during a real emergency evacuation, passengers not gonna be evacuating the plane in an orderly fashion!
So where does it end? Do you screen passengers for mental illness who might freak out during an evacuation? Or a physical impairment? People with crutches can't fly? Eye glasses? A slippery slope...

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 5:08 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
So where does it end? Do you screen passengers for mental illness who might freak out during an evacuation? Or a physical impairment? People with crutches can't fly? Eye glasses? A slippery slope...

Kevin Smith was in a middle seat, I just don't know the configuration of the airline but technically then if a single isle it means he was blocking the exit of the window seat in an emergency.

Smith normally books and pays for two seats, so he already knows he's big but in this case he went on Stand-By they would only allocate one seat to him because, being on stand-by, it is clear the flight was full and hence with late confirmation of a seat being made available was placed in a centre seat.

It's all so obvious. If i go on stand-by i know for a fact it will only be middle seats left.

The issue in this case, however, is that despite the fact he normally books two seats he can, in one seat, latch the seatbelt and have both the arm rests down....... so he's not that huge yet they still threw him off. The main question is, then only.........where and how do you set the limit?

Bigshot actor/director like Smith..... book Business Class next time, and no more problem!