Singapore Expats Forum

Any remedies for on/off headache?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

lingli

Any remedies for on/off headache?

Postby lingli » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 1:55 pm

with nowadays stress lifestyle, often feel headache on and off. And also stiff shoulder due to sitting posture in front of the computer. Anyone any solutions?

the_playful_prince

headaches

Postby the_playful_prince » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 3:05 pm

hi lingli, headaches are secondary symptoms. you need to identify the primary cause of headaches. is it due to prolonged exposure to computer screen? then you need to take a break on -off from your computer screen.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 3:16 pm

Panadol works for me.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 1:49 am

i use aleeve or aspro clear. the latter is pretty fast acting.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

utopia
Regular
Regular

Postby utopia » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 3:51 am

Masking the pains with medication doesn't resolve the underlying issue(s).
If it were me, I would seriously consider getting a reputable acupuncturist to look at the issue.
(My guess is that the should is probably due to imbalance or posture related issue, which in turn has been known to give rise to headaches. )

If you rather stick with drugs, for pain relief I find ibuprofen (
BRAND NAME: Advil, Nufufen, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever etc. ) to work pretty well. If you get Advil Rapid in the blue liquid gel caps it almost feels illicit !

-> http://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:50 am

Shotgun

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 1:17 pm

Beer or a glass of wine. I would take that over any synthetic, tablet-sized remedy. Unless you need to be behind a steering wheel anytime soon...

rachelsyuan

Postby rachelsyuan » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 2:49 pm

try eating some apples and drinking at least 2L of water and a well rested sleep :D

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 6:50 pm

rachelsyuan wrote:try eating some apples and drinking at least 2L of water and a well rested sleep :D

After 2 liters of water the last thing I get is sleep, have to wake up top go to the loo every five mintes

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:16 pm

QRM wrote:
rachelsyuan wrote:try eating some apples and drinking at least 2L of water and a well rested sleep :D

After 2 liters of water the last thing I get is sleep, have to wake up top go to the loo every five mintes

or end up having a very wet dream... :P :D

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carolynW » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:29 pm

Drink lots of water, I read somewhere if you are dehydrated your grey matter shrinks and that causes a headache... works for me or its a placebo effect, in either case it beats taking medication.

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 8:50 pm

Maybe you should go to a chiropractor. It could be your posture and long hours on the computer.

eagle357

Postby eagle357 » Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:36 am

Try drinking lime or lemon juice, pure if possible, if unbearable then add a little honey to it.

Do it on a regular daily basis, maybe twice a day. Not only does it purify the body, ie take the toxins out of the body, it eases tension headaches and is also a good prevention for colds and coughs. Stops snoring at night too as it clears the unwanted mucus in a person's respiratory system.

Overall, good for the entire body.

Only thing is, remember to rinse your mouth with water thoroughly after drinking the lime/lemon juice because it is rather acidic for the teeth to cope.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: Any remedies for on/off headache?

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 18 Feb 2010 3:53 pm

lingli wrote:with nowadays stress lifestyle, often feel headache on and off. And also stiff shoulder due to sitting posture in front of the computer. Anyone any solutions?

Yes. Go to the Doctor.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 18 Feb 2010 9:52 pm

eagle357 wrote:Do it on a regular daily basis, maybe twice a day. Not only does it purify the body, ie take the toxins out of the body, it eases tension headaches and is also a good prevention for colds and coughs. Stops snoring at night too as it clears the unwanted mucus in a person's respiratory system.

:roll:

Over millions of years, Mother Nature (and step-dad Darwin) has designed two excellent methods of getting rid of toxins from your body: they're called sh*t and p*ss. If you start purposedly drinking acids, you're just going to throw your stomach out of whack and make things worse, not better.

As a more realistic solution, I'd start with buying a better office chair. You're doing something wrong if you've got stiff shoulders.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague