Singapore Expats Forum

Forget all the fancy bars, nothing beats $5 XL beers

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
aster
Manager
Manager

Forget all the fancy bars, nothing beats $5 XL beers

Postby aster » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:38 am

Slowly getting tired or keeping track who has happy hours and when, and definitely not up for paying $18++ for a pint of Tiger outside of promo hours. :(

Behind Boat Quay, on Circular Road (west end of street, corner of South Bridge Rd), there's a small open air mini food court that's great for downing beers as well. 3 extra large (0.66L I think) Tigers for just $15.

What's startling is that at Meidi-Ya, my local supermarket in the basement of Liang Court, they sell these bottles at... $5.70 each. I guess that drinking at home means paying extra...

Hope I'm not spamming as I just wanted to share this little gem with you guys, especially since the place is open 24h and the price is fixed - not some HH special or anything of the sort. It's nothing fancy, just a poor man's place with several cheap food outlets & good (and cheap) beer. :)

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:50 am

go to fairprice instead;p

sure its cheaper than Meidi-ya

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:50 am

Fairprice rocks, but when it comes to sushi you cannot beat Meidi-Ya. :)

One thing I truly don't get is why the worst beef I have ever seen carries the highest price that I have ever seen. You can get some great, lean Australian beef for around 8 bucks/100g... and then there's this marble Japanese beef that has more fat than meat... at $35/100g. Cannot fathom why someone would pay so much for something that I wouldn't want to eat for free...

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:03 am

aster wrote:One thing I truly don't get is why the worst beef I have ever seen carries the highest price that I have ever seen. You can get some great, lean Australian beef for around 8 bucks/100g... and then there's this marble Japanese beef that has more fat than meat... at $35/100g. Cannot fathom why someone would pay so much for something that I wouldn't want to eat for free...

Because you don't know how to cook it right -- farmers in Kobe would commit mass harakiri if you slapped their shimofuri wagyu steak on the barbie, charred it until well done and then ate it with dead horse and a plastic fork. :o

But then, I don't know how to cook it right either, and at $35/100g I'm not going to take any risks. I'll leave it the professionals at a good restaurant and try to get somebody else to foot the bill :P
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 1:07 pm

In Germany and Poland (and fine places elsewhere) you can get some great steak tartare, nothing beats super fresh beef... eaten raw. :)

I agree that grilling a steak till it's well done is a crime, and as you mentioned if someone from Japan is paying premium $$$ for Wagyu beef then it has to be cooked properly.

The only think I don't get is why they would like beef that's 20% meat and 80% fat. I would pay top-dollar not to see an ounce of fat, and these guys cherish a slice of something that is almost completely white... with just traces of red. :)

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 13 Feb 2010 4:38 pm

aster wrote:I would pay top-dollar not to see an ounce of fat, and these guys cherish a slice of something that is almost completely white... with just traces of red. :)

Are you serious? Go ahead, go to the butcher and ask for a USDA Select rump steak, the leanest cut there is. And because it's all fiber, it's also as tough as a leather shoe... :???:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Feb 2010 5:23 pm

Good reasonable lean I Round is pretty good and very lean as well. I have it 2-3 times a week. Ate it the whole time I was on my diet due to it's leaness. Also made my mince from the same. It's also good for steat tartare as well.