Singapore Expats Forum

Book Lovers Club- Singaporeans and PRs only?????

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 7:48 pm

:-k

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 8:58 pm

Actually our whiner friend is only partially right. Administrators can set forums to allow user edits for as little as 1 minute (the other board that I am an Admin on is set that way for exactly this reason. It's been determined that once you post something on a public board, you no longer own it. I believe it's been tested several times already. Forums have those measures available to prevent a poster from making lengthy threads worthless due to the deletion of content, thereby rendering the thread worthless.

If you notice, you can edit this board at any time but as long as you edit it BEFORE somebody makes a subsequent reply it does not show up as edited. However, once someone makes a reply and a poster goes back to edit the original there is the distinct possibility the the subsequent posters posts are now no longer relevant. We don't want to curtail the ability to do minor edits like punctuation, spelling, grammer etc, but we reserve the right to stop someone from the mass deletion or complete changing of a message.

Therefore, Jessie is a croc and can go whine in a corner somewhere. His idea of morality is so totally warped that he's nothing but a comedy now. Changing ones text to something not even related is not "Editing" therefore his whole argument is flawed just like everything else he's posted so far. Editing is rewriting or correcting the original expressed thoughts. Not writing a new book.

What is interesting is he quoted "only" my single comment and not the whole thread he quoted when he replied "another racist comment" which started with a comment by SunWuKong. So his comment was originally directed at either his or my comments. Unfortunately neither of which are racist in nature but just factual in content. :wink:

As far a deleting his posts, he can forget it. We wouldn't do it for other, we are not going to start now. They are part of the public domain. They don't misrepresent him at all. In fact, if we knew who his friends were they would probably tell us they are spot on. Oh, wait, I forgot, with the blackness he carries around in his heart, I doubt if he actually has any friends. And yes, any subsequent registrations by this troll will be summarily locked as well. :-|

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Sun, 04 Apr 2010 7:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually our whiner friend is only partially right. Administrators can set forums to allow user edits for as little as 1 minute (the other board that I am an Admin on is set that way for exactly this reason. It's been determined that once you post something on a public board, you no longer own it. I believe it's been tested several times already. Forums have those measures available to prevent a poster from making lengthy threads worthless due to the deletion of content, thereby rendering the thread worthless.

If you notice, you can edit this board at any time but as long as you edit it BEFORE somebody makes a subsequent reply it does not show up as edited. However, once someone makes a reply and a poster goes back to edit the original there is the distinct possibility the the subsequent posters posts are now no longer relevant. We don't want to curtail the ability to do minor edits like punctuation, spelling, grammer etc, but we reserve the right to stop someone from the mass deletion or complete changing of a message.

Therefore, Jessie is a croc and can go whine in a corner somewhere. His idea of morality is so totally warped that he's nothing but a comedy now. Changing ones text to something not even related is not "Editing" therefore his whole argument is flawed just like everything else he's posted so far. Editing is rewriting or correcting the original expressed thoughts. Not writing a new book.

What is interesting is he quoted "only" my single comment and not the whole thread he quoted when he replied "another racist comment" which started with a comment by SunWuKong. So his comment was originally directed at either his or my comments. Unfortunately neither of which are racist in nature but just factual in content. :wink:

As far a deleting his posts, he can forget it. We wouldn't do it for other, we are not going to start now. They are part of the public domain. They don't misrepresent him at all. In fact, if we knew who his friends were they would probably tell us they are spot on. Oh, wait, I forgot, with the blackness he carries around in his heart, I doubt if he actually has any friends. And yes, any subsequent registrations by this troll will be summarily locked as well. :-|


--- I applaud Jesse11. Never mind the complexity of past problems he or she might have had; but he has a heart and is anti-racist.

--- SMS has no right to block any member's enjoyment and chats in this forum. Now, I can't blame you, SMS, living in a tiny but successful dot in Singapore has spoilt you. You need to stop regressing into a little brat with a big body. You are posting threads with contradictory views showing you must be frustrated, but don't regress; think of your children who need to look up with you. They might be reading the Singapore Forum. Try to have more class like Vaucluse.

---In retrospect, the discussions in this thread are all valid; in fact; damned good. They really show your concerns and interest in Singapore.
But it's stupid to get het up in political discussions. So one's outrightly arrogant and preening with pride to be a 'superior' racist. But if he finds himself amongst a group of facist nationalists, he will not be so. What I want to press on you is not to go about hating each other. I had respected this forum as a platform for free speech, what the world needs more than wars. So there, I had had hard exchanges with you before, SMS, but I respect that as no one killed each other or 'pariahed' them out, keep this forum FREE or I will make a gigantic complaint.

--I welcome Jesse 11 back and I was pleased to read little David against the Goliath. So chill out and keep politicking. lol
Last edited by anneteoh on Sun, 04 Apr 2010 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Apr 2010 7:10 pm

I see you have once again crawled out from under your rock. Welcome back. =D>

Oh, as an afterthought, I actually do have that right. Whether you like or dislike it, is irrelevant. :wink:

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Sun, 04 Apr 2010 7:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I see you have once again crawled out from under your rock. Welcome back. =D>

Oh, as an afterthought, I actually do have that right. Whether you like or dislike it, is irrelevant. :wink:


---Thanks old man. No, I was with a firefly.
But you will not abuse your right because that's how I learnt to respect this forum in the first place. And you might be glad to know that I can understand what you said - there is a contradictory attitude towards whites in SE Asia ; one half being of a hatred that was bred from past history or jealousy and the other half, a kind of condescension that they are more skilled technologically. Bah to all that. To each his own, I would say. I have yet to read your thread 'I'm a changed man." Giggles.

anneteoh

Re: Book Lovers Club- Singaporeans and PRs only?????

Postby anneteoh » Sun, 04 Apr 2010 7:44 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:Just came across this full page ad in the paper day before yesterday for a Book lovers get together and related events at the public library. Some of these were paid events, however on reading the fine print it said you had to be a Singaporean or PR to attend! :mad: Just wondering if this is the norm here or something...I mean am already sick of seeing this on all the job sites anyways!


Hi
Thanks for posting this. Yes, I am shocked at this discrimination at literacy level. All the great teachers of the world would gladly teach any student who wants to learn - name them, Confucius, esp Lao Tze, Jesus, Mohamed etc. In those days, they would not charge a fee either. Yet all our learning in the cilvilized world is handed down from these sages.

How differently is our world constructed today if you take the example illustrated here.

I might have reasons to understand why the Singapore National Library might seek to limit attendance at their events to citizens and PRs only. But nothing can make it feel justified in the literary world. As you said, esp when the events require payments too. It does sound bad in my eyes, for a country I have so admired.

Here, the present economic downtown in the West and the plunging of the pound, I am pleased to say, has not turned any British politician except the BNPs ( British Natioal Party ) fearful or dictator-like. It would be unthinkable if any events organised by the British Library is limited to British only ( though we are multiracial here ). Imagine the Iranian professor, the Tongan Prime Minister or plain Jack, Ali or Ming were present and were turned out.

All great thinking/teaching is about universal truth, beauty and love. They are free and they are the pillars of our civilization. This event above, I'm afraid to say, really turns me off.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 04 Apr 2010 8:18 pm

anneteoh wrote: have yet to read your thread 'I'm a changed man." Giggles.


Don't bother. It's not what you think. Unless you are into weight loss and the ad hoc health benefits that that can bring...... :)

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 12:14 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
anneteoh wrote: have yet to read your thread 'I'm a changed man." Giggles.


Don't bother. It's not what you think. Unless you are into weight loss and the ad hoc health benefits that that can bring...... :)


Well, good luck.
But I don't think anyone can put on weight eating Singaporean food.
Due to the endless variety and choices, I normally eat wise -
- gingo nuts (in deliciouss leng chee kang sweet soup ) , salmon for the brain
-kangkong for iron, tomatoes and wood funghi for lowering blood pressure
- papaya, star fruit, pomegranate juice for vitamin C
- the rest of those delicious dishes, you can simply move them about on your plate.

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 1:14 pm

[/quote]

But I don't think anyone can put on weight eating Singaporean food.

- papaya, star fruit, pomegranate juice for vitamin C
- the rest of those delicious dishes, you can simply move them about on your plate.[/quote]

I have to agree :P :lol:
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 2:53 pm

Well, I managed to put on 26 kg eating local food. But it's all gone now! Actually, it's very easy to gain weight here as basically almost all meals are carb heavy. If it isn't rice, it's noodles or for the younger set, french fries and all sorts of UFO's (Unidentified Fried Objects) in various types of pastry or batters.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 3:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Well, I managed to put on 26 kg eating local food. But it's all gone now! Actually, it's very easy to gain weight here as basically almost all meals are carb heavy. If it isn't rice, it's noodles or for the younger set, french fries and all sorts of UFO's (Unidentified Fried Objects) in various types of pastry or batters.


One reason I constantly dream of getting back to Singa is the easy availability of health food; so here're some tips:
- when eating char koay teow, find the best stall . One I favour is on Killick road, a few doors down the famous kaya kopitiam. Here they cook it fresh, without salt on order, lots of seafood stuff and beansprouts,veges etc all for $5!
- poh piah is mainly carb free, satay, rendang - the Four Seasons at end/behind Orchard road does fantastic buffets from $28 up lunch/dinner where you can select the nutritionals from the carb - and eat as much as you like.
- Durians are power food, toasted chestnuts amazing for vit. E
- lots of clean freshly cut fruit on the counter - papayas, guavas, pineapple etc all over 4 times the amount of vit c in oranges .
All these food one either can't get over here, or they are imported at expensive prices and taste horrid and unripe.
I noticed how slim most Singaporeans are - did you say your wide's local?
Perhaps women there like fat men. lol

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 4:12 pm

Been awhile since you've been here obviously. You would be shocked at the numbers of local women who are "obese" or very near to it at the upper end of "overweight". That's why the slimming spas are doing such a big business with the local female population here. Matter of fact, a local teacher here finished the programme I was on. in January. She lost 33 kg. She looked as old as I am before she started, but now, at around 50+ kg she looks like one of her secondary school students! Also, the number of 'fat' slim girls here is amazing. They appear "slim" but are, in fact, fatties with absolutely no muscle tone under the slim exterior.

Yes, I will agree that it IS possible to eat healthily here, but one must make a conscious effort to do so. Too much of the hawker centre stalls use garbage ingredients and cover up this fact with heaps of MSG, oils, sauces, soy, etc. to make it healthy in the long term. Yes, there are some that will use less oil if you ask, or give more vegetables if you pay, but they are still the minority.

Yeah, she's local, but I was a fighting fit 72kg when we got married, not the obese 94kg I was when I decided to go on the diet in Jan 08.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 4:25 pm

anneteoh wrote: I noticed how slim most Singaporeans are - did you say your wide's local?


This is a common misconception resulting from a different body structure of different races. Check out some data (i.e. from WHO) on the overweight and obesity in Singapore. You will be surprised.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 4:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Been awhile since you've been here obviously. You would be shocked at the numbers of local women who are "obese" or very near to it at the upper end of "overweight". That's why the slimming spas are doing such a big business with the local female population here. Matter of fact, a local teacher here finished the programme I was on. in January. She lost 33 kg. She looked as old as I am before she started, but now, at around 50+ kg she looks like one of her secondary school students! Also, the number of 'fat' slim girls here is amazing. They appear "slim" but are, in fact, fatties with absolutely no muscle tone under the slim exterior.

Yes, I will agree that it IS possible to eat healthily here, but one must make a conscious effort to do so. Too much of the hawker centre stalls use garbage ingredients and cover up this fact with heaps of MSG, oils, sauces, soy, etc. to make it healthy in the long term. Yes, there are some that will use less oil if you ask, or give more vegetables if you pay, but they are still the minority.

Yeah, she's local, but I was a fighting fit 72kg when we got married, not the obese 94kg I was when I decided to go on the diet in Jan 08.


--- Gosh, you've been ogling at your female counterparts!

Or perhaps comparing standard sizes! I guess ' Bread Talk 'bakery - smashing as they really are, must be the forbidden temptation for lots of Singaporeans today.

I was there 1999 -2001, 2004 and 2007. The one regret in my life was not to have taken PR and lived there. It took me time to really appreciate the garden city; however good the money and work was. It was a blinding experience initially, to be assailed with mission vision every so often! I gave me the opposite effect! lol

If I'd found Singapore Expats then, I might have been able to have some advice but I'm returning for a holiday again soon.
Is FAT AN ISSUE in Singapore now? Some of the hawker centres offer outstanding food one can't find anywhere else e.g. leng chee kang and pungnat - my favourite nynoya desserts. Ask your wife to get you some - they're ambrosial food from heaven! Non-fattening, except for pungnat but then, you wouldn't want to eat lesser food.
I agree many stalls are disgraceful . Recently in London, I returned 2 dishes of char kway teow -charged at 7.50 pounds per dish and simply only noodles and 2 prawns! This will be a good thing to do - simply ask the man to take back his carb only dish and voice your disgust! But it's best to find the right places.
Oh, the spas - aren't they such a SE Asian thing nowadays? Singa's full of these pampering salons. Don't snide, they are areal treat and nowadays, I would like to go to a spa of whatever service - hair loss, massage, skin toning, weight loss etc.
Are there LASER TREATMENT FOR 20/20 vison clinics and what are the prices?
Ahh - lucky you all out there!

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 4:55 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:


But I don't think anyone can put on weight eating Singaporean food.

- papaya, star fruit, pomegranate juice for vitamin C
- the rest of those delicious dishes, you can simply move them about on your plate.[/quote]

I have to agree :P :lol:[/quote]

What I meant was that unfortunately I lack the ability to appreciate local fare :-( so I end up cooking at home a lot. No fried rice and dimsums for me.
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests