Singapore Expats

Book Lovers Club- Singaporeans and PRs only?????

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:50 pm

Yeah, we get to be the rose amongst the thorns! :mrgreen: I been the token Ang Mo in the last two companies I've worked for (total of around 12 years now) I don't even speak mandarin but I always get trotted out to any bigwigs visiting our MD. :cool: Sometimes it gets old but you get used to it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 1:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I been the token Ang Mo in the last two companies I've worked for (total of around 12 years now)
Hey, SMS, this question is off topic, but do you find other staff always refer to you as "ang mo" when talking amongst themselves, rather than use your first name? I've found that the colleagues I've worked with.... even my own mother-in-law does this.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 1:39 pm

Yeah, but it's a different tone of voice so I don't let it worry me. However, outside it grinds because of the difference of tone. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 3:31 pm

Splatted wrote:this question is off topic
Given that the original topic was setting up a book lovers' club, we've already veered pretty far off :cool:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 4:36 pm

jpatokal wrote:
Splatted wrote:this question is off topic
Given that the original topic was setting up a book lovers' club, we've already veered pretty far off :cool:
Well obviously someone's been stirring the pot with unusual vigour :P :P
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

jessie11

Post by jessie11 » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:JP, re the voter demographics......

Ever wonder....... in the over a quarter of a century that I've been here the racial percentages of the population have never changed substantially? Interesting if you consider that Malay's have the highest Fertility Rate of the 4 "races" that are counted here and the Chinese have the lowest and totally it's only around 1.23 per family. That means, what we all know anyway, that they are using immigration to maintain the demographics in order to ensure the overwhelming majority. :-|
and what makes you think the govt is trying to ensure the overwelming majority? are you racist? or just plain stupid?
Last edited by jessie11 on Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jessie11

Post by jessie11 » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
SunWuKong wrote:
It amounts to wide scale exclusion based on race.
When I first came here a quarter of a century ago the papers openly advertised for Chinese only. It wasn't until the mid-90's that enough noise was made that the main bird cage liner here started insisting on not using race. Therefore, they started using language as a means of racial profiling for jobs. This was taken to task in the past 10 years or so and the answer was that they "needed" Chinese speakers because they either dealt with PRC/Taiwan or their primary customers were Chinese speaking. (contrary to what crocss22 said though :P )

The problem with this is that the Government here (which is governed by which race? :roll: ) will not enact laws with teeth, instead, preferring to say "best practice should be based on job ability". Without teeth, the employers just do as they damned well please.

However, there is one interesting facet that breaks the mold. If you are Caucasian (regardless of your home country) and you speak Mandarin, you are already one step higher than a Chinese speaker who's Chinese - more face having a whitey working for your company I guess. :o
another racist comment.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:30 am

jessie11 wrote:
SunWuKong wrote:
When I first came here a quarter of a century ago the papers openly advertised for Chinese only. It wasn't until the mid-90's that enough noise was made that the main bird cage liner here started insisting on not using race. Therefore, they started using language as a means of racial profiling for jobs. This was taken to task in the past 10 years or so and the answer was that they "needed" Chinese speakers because they either dealt with PRC/Taiwan or their primary customers were Chinese speaking. (contrary to what crocss22 said though :P )

The problem with this is that the Government here (which is governed by which race? :roll: ) will not enact laws with teeth, instead, preferring to say "best practice should be based on job ability". Without teeth, the employers just do as they damned well please.

However, there is one interesting facet that breaks the mold. If you are Caucasian (regardless of your home country) and you speak Mandarin, you are already one step higher than a Chinese speaker who's Chinese - more face having a whitey working for your company I guess. :o
another racist comment.
Jessie11,

I agree with you 100%. It is a racist comment for a racist practice. However, like most Singaporeans like to say, it's pragmatic to call it what it is. A racist practice. Are you insinuating that what I'm saying is not a fact? Or are you just hurling names because the truth hurts?

As to the latter, I've been the token Ang Mo in two companies for the past dozen years so I know how much face "I" get. :wink:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:32 am

jessie11 wrote:
SunWuKong wrote:

another racist comment.
Oh dear. New account, and all posts in reply to SMS.

I wonder whether the IP address will match another person obsessed with SMS lately? Oh, that's right SMS is a moderator - he can actually check this. :oops!: :lol: \:D/

jessie11

Post by jessie11 » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:38 am

we will see how much "face" you get when you are convicted in court for racism, your pr revoked and you get a fine/jail term.
Last edited by jessie11 on Tue, 02 Mar 2010 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

jessie11

Post by jessie11 » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:41 am

Splatted wrote:
jessie11 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: When I first came here a quarter of a century ago the papers openly advertised for Chinese only. It wasn't until the mid-90's that enough noise was made that the main bird cage liner here started insisting on not using race. Therefore, they started using language as a means of racial profiling for jobs. This was taken to task in the past 10 years or so and the answer was that they "needed" Chinese speakers because they either dealt with PRC/Taiwan or their primary customers were Chinese speaking. (contrary to what crocss22 said though :P )

another racist comment.

I wonder whether the IP address will match another person obsessed with SMS lately? Oh, that's right SMS is a moderator - he can actually check this. :oops!: :lol: \:D/
here let me reply to you as well because i can see you "splatted" on my screen as well. lol.

is "splattered" the same "splattered" when you squish a cockroach? which "splattered" are you son?

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:46 am

jessie11 wrote:
Splatted wrote:
jessie11 wrote: another racist comment.

here let me reply to you as well because i can see you "splatted" on my screen as well. lol.

is "splattered" the same "splattered" when you squish a cockroach? which "splattered" are you son?
clip clop clip clop.

Must suck always losing.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:50 am

jessie11 wrote:
we will see how much "face" you get when you are convicted in court for racism, your pr revoked and you get a fine/jail term.
Go for it crocs22/jessie11. Give it all you got. Surely you can do better than that. Who know, seeing this old dog has restored your earlier posts, you might go down with me for inciting....... :P :lol:

C'mon Croc, quit peeing like a puppy. Grow up. Get some cojones. Ask your maid for them, she's probably got more than you do. The way you are panseying around here, I've started think that maybe you don't have any at all. Is that why you got so upset on the other thread about sammyboy's? :wink:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 9:47 am

SMS's Asian, Singaporean wife and children might find your accusation amusing, but the authorities won't. It might even qualify as defamation of character.

The race card is a two-edged sword.

You should know this already from your stalking of SMS. That's right - stalking - you can now add 'stalker' to your childishness.
jessie11 wrote:
and what makes you think the govt is trying to ensure the overwelming majority? are you racist? or just plain stupid?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

crocss22andjessie11

Post by crocss22andjessie11 » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 6:19 pm

EADG wrote:SMS's Asian, Singaporean wife and children might find your accusation amusing, but the authorities won't. It might even qualify as defamation of character.

The race card is a two-edged sword.

You should know this already from your stalking of SMS. That's right - stalking - you can now add 'stalker' to your childishness.
jessie11 wrote:
I am crocss22 and jessie11. I had to re register a new moniker because my first one was blocked and my second one, i deregistered it myself.

what accusation? that SMS made a racist comment and is racist?

here are his own words and admittal. "I agree with you 100%. It is a racist comment".

i find it quite disturbing that people here are behaving like that to be honest.

it is one thing to bash singapore and singaporeans. you can say singapore sucks because the weather is hot, singaporean schools suck or singaporeans are kiasu, kiasi, etc. that is legal and it appears all the time in the newspapers etc. tourists do that. singaporeans themselves do that. it is a right under the constituition.

for eg, you can say america/uk/peru/botswana or any other country has sucky weather, kiasu people, sucky schools or drug problems. that is legal

it is another(illegal and morally wrong) thing to single out a particular race (not nationality or country but race) like what he did above and bash them.

these are just my views. personally i let such things slide but i believe some people might be offended by such words. i just think it is wrong to say such things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

another matter i wish to address is the misrepresentation of me - namely my previous monikers "crocss22" and "jessie11".

when every user registers on this forum, they see an "edit" and "delete" button on their posts. therefore, users know that they can publish drafts and edit them later on to a final version they are satisfied with. a final version that reflects what they intend to convey.

it is only reasonable and morally right to allow users to "edit" their posts any way they want to correct any errors and ensure their true opinions are reflected.

it is just like a writer submitting his drafts to a publisher with the publisher telling him that it can be edited later and only the final version of it will be published.

imagine the horror when a writer submits a final version of the script only to find out that the drafts were published instead of the intended final version. what more, they were published without his permission under his own name as if he had intended for it to be so.

i find it rediculous and maligned that my posts are edited and posted by the moderators under my own name. there was no mention in my posts that they were tinkled with by the moderators but almost all of them were tinkled with by the moderator. and there wasn't even any "edited by moderator" comment.

i have edited and deleted all of my posts here (http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic67928.html). imagine my horror when the moderators discarded the final edits of my posts to restore them to their previous versions.

like all normal users, i have edited the posts within a day and within mins of posting them because i felt there were errors in them or that i shouldn't have bothered to type them at all; and yet the moderators restored them to the previous (inaccurate) versions even after i had edited them. i felt terribly misrepresented and maligned.

some of the posts were rude (because i was provoked) but they were not illegal. but i edited and deleted them anyway because i felt they were rude and did not convey my views accurately. instead of leaving my posts the way i had intended them to be (which reflected my true views), the moderators edited my posts and passed off my drafts as my final version.

i would like to express my apologies for any rudeness to anyone affected (including the moderator) but please be aware that the moderators have edited my posts without my permission. these are the views that the moderators want to convey, not me.

i formally request the moderator to delete all my posts under the monikers ""crocss22" and "jessie11" because they misrepresent me. do not misrepresent me. that is not right.

even the posts on this thread made on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:38 am and 12.13am were misrepresented. i edited the posts less than 10 mins after making them because i decided the original versions were too harsh and a tad rude. i didn't want to appear rude. after i had edited these posts to the words of my liking, the moderator shockingly restored the posts to how they were 10 mins ago, trying to misrepresent me once again.

the moderators left no indication that they had edited my posts. they did not leave a comment that my posts have been edited by them and this was not the way i had intended my posts to be.

i feel maligned and misrepresented.

once again, i would formally object to these misrepresented posts. i hope the moderator can fufil his legal and moral obligations; and delete all posts under "crocss22" and "jessie11". respect the rights of the users, act morally and do the right thing.

i reiterate my request. please delete all the posts under "crocss22" and "jessie11" as they do represent my views correctly at all.

thank you in advance. and sorry for any inconvenience.