Singapore Expats Forum

Damaged hire car

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sue1303
Regular
Regular

Damaged hire car

Postby sue1303 » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 8:37 am

Hi,

We have a hire car which we are due to hand back very soon. Yesterday I discovered it had been pranged in the condo car park and the front bumper has come away slightly. Obviously the culprit didn't leave any details and I think there is quite a high excess on the car hire company's insurance.

Does anyone know of a good (reasonably honest) garage I can take the car to so they can pop it back into place before I hand the car back....What worries me is if I hand it over as it is then suddenly the garage bill will amount to the whole excess amount, when it could cost me a lot less getting it done myself!

Also, would I have to inform the police or anything, wasn't sure as I didn't witness anything?

Thanks x

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Damaged hire car

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 9:41 am

sue1303 wrote:Hi,

We have a hire car which we are due to hand back very soon. Yesterday I discovered it had been pranged in the condo car park and the front bumper has come away slightly. Obviously the culprit didn't leave any details and I think there is quite a high excess on the car hire company's insurance.

Does anyone know of a good (reasonably honest) garage I can take the car to so they can pop it back into place before I hand the car back....What worries me is if I hand it over as it is then suddenly the garage bill will amount to the whole excess amount, when it could cost me a lot less getting it done myself!

Also, would I have to inform the police or anything, wasn't sure as I didn't witness anything?

Thanks x

When you signed up for the car, did you pay for the insurance coverage. There will be an excess you have to pay. So ....if you go to Yishun Industrial Park or Eunos Industrial Park or any body car repair workshop and asked for a quote. Compare........a few quote
If the quote you got is more than the excess on the insurance that you are covered , then it is best to let the rental car repair themselves and you just pay the excess.
You will need to go to police station though as the insurance claim will definitely needs a police report.
If you find this is hassle , just repair it. No need police report too.

Hope this helps
Mad Scientist(':)')

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 9:44 am

Contact the insurance company and ask them what the case is when the damage is not yours. I know in my own country (and SG is usually different) that if you file a police report and claim it as not your own they will assess whether or not to charge you the full excess.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Damaged hire car

Postby Saint » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:14 am

sue1303 wrote:

Not sure what car you have but if the bumper has just popped out and no other damage it's a very easy and quick job.

As for a reasonably honest garage, pop down to Paya Ubi Industrial Park at 51 Ubi Avenue 1 which is where a lot of garages are, the ones that I can recommend from personal experience are FabulousX, McWells and RaceTech.

As for price, if you are a westerner turning up you will stick out like a sore thumb and they will quote you a 'special price' but if the bumper just needs to be popped back on it should cost more than 50 bucks.

sue1303
Regular
Regular

Postby sue1303 » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:46 am

Thats great advice, thanks very much for the replies, I'll check out a few quotes.
This was only a temporary car that we pay monthly for, we were supposed to get a specific car but they then couldn't come up with that so we are handing the temporary one back and going down other avenues. I was told it was company insurance and I was covered and shown insurance document from the company (showing the excess) but the insurance isn't, I presume, in my name as it was the temporary car?

Bloody typical this happens when it's due to be handed back!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 12:08 pm

Happens all the time in car parks, many drivers just don't care, and they have big problems judging distance! I feel safer on the dodgem cars at the fairground :)