Singapore Expats

Packing it all in and heading to Singapore - Need advice

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
AnnaKin

Packing it all in and heading to Singapore - Need advice

Post by AnnaKin » Sun, 07 Feb 2010 2:29 am

Hi

My EPEC application was rejected 3 months ago but I have decided to pack up and move to SG anyway as I believe London has lost it's mojo. Flight is on Monday 8th Feb.

Question is, can I apply for jobs on a regular visitor's pass? Would an employer generally be happy to submit an employment visa on my behalf?

Thanks

jpatokal

Re: Packing it all in and heading to Singapore - Need advice

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 2:44 pm

AnnaKin wrote:My EPEC application was rejected 3 months ago but I have decided to pack up and move to SG anyway as I believe London has lost it's mojo. Flight is on Monday 8th Feb.
#-o
Question is, can I apply for jobs on a regular visitor's pass? Would an employer generally be happy to submit an employment visa on my behalf?
Well, I'm glad you're doing your research well ahead of committing yourself ](*,)

Yes, you can search all you want... but you'll have a tough time finding jobs and an even tougher time finding a company willing to sponsor you for an EP.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 4:28 pm

:wink: just in time for you enjoy the chinese new yr hoildays here

do find sometime for yourself to enjoy.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 7:05 pm

singapore is not like UK where anyone coming in can freeload on the country or just get a job flipping burgers or mini cabbing with cash in hand pay. no job = no work permit = you just a tourist visiting singapore.

so before you pack your bags, make sure you done your research.

blued3838

Post by blued3838 » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 7:06 pm

AnnaKin wrote: Hi

My EPEC application was rejected 3 months ago but I have decided to pack up and move to SG anyway as I believe London has lost it's mojo. Flight is on Monday 8th Feb.

Thanks
HI Anna,

Welcome to Singapore. If you need advice on anything, just let me know. Im a local who likes English and English football. Not sure if you can pm, just pm me anytime.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 8:43 pm

you like english or english rose? :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 8:53 pm

blued3838 wrote:
HI Anna,

Welcome to Singapore. If you need advice on anything, just let me know. Im a local who likes English and English football. Not sure if you can pm, just pm me anytime.
Sounds like a hustler to me. Are you a Buaya by chance?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Thu, 11 Feb 2010 4:19 am

Check if you meet the criteria for a working holiday visa. You need to be from Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States, 17-30 yo, be enrolled at or a recent graduate from a good university there.

http://www.contactsingapore.sg/students ... programme/

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... ramme.html

kittikani

Post by kittikani » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 7:01 am

Wow, has londres really lost it's mojo?

Welcome to Singapore though! I don't think it's impossible for you to get a company to apply for an EP on your behalf, but it might take time.

Personally, it took me a while (6 months) to get an employer who was willing to apply and process my first EP application and about a month's wait for that EP to come through.

What's your niche, what are you offering that can't already be found here? If they want you and your skills bad enough, they'll apply for you, no doubt about that. I hope you've come prepared and got some spare $$ to keep you going though, it might not be as easy or as fast as you think.

Good luck with your job search and all the best!