Singapore Expats Forum

Calling Aussies. Work permit for EU?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 7:24 pm

Ozchick
Should you happen to read this here's link;

http://spain.othercountries.com/pages/articles/index.asp?page=teaching

Seems a good website and has a lot information much will have been the situation before the current economic crisis. That on teachers pay doesn't make pleasant reading.............

User avatar
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri, 17 Aug 2007
Location: In a spacious appartment

Postby Superglide » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:11 pm

Plavt wrote:
Superglide wrote:
Sorry, but not true.


Excuse me! I did say: 'and maybe one or two others!' In other words I only had knowledge of one state with that requirement hence the 'maybe one or two other states.' Try reading what I said - what you like to tell me what to do if you remember. Besides as you already know I am not Dutch (fortunately) so I am not likely to know the requirements for Italians wishing to work in The Netherlands.

have already stated the work permit would be limited to the UK and the OP has already decided to ask the embassy. ...:roll:


I know little people (if any) more defensive than you are...

So.... What I was saying: All EU citizens need to apply for a permit when wanting to work abroad in one of the other EU members / countries. So, Brits wanting to go work in Italy, Spanish in France, Germans in NL, Polish in Uk etc etc.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:27 pm

Superglide wrote:So.... What I was saying: All EU citizens need to apply for a permit when wanting to work abroad in one of the other EU members / countries.


Rubbish! That apparently is true is of The Netherlands but EU residents are not issued with a permit although they are allowed to work there apparently this is to keep check on immigration. Could have let us have a few more details........


If you are a national of an EU member state that was a part of the EU before May 1, 2004 (these are: Luxemburg, Belgium, Ireland, Germany, France, Sweden, Spain, Greece, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, UK, Iceland) you should normally be allowed to live and work in any other of these countries. You will need a valid identity card or passport.


http://www.workpermit.com/european_union/european_union.htm

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:51 pm

Plavt wrote:
Superglide wrote:So.... What I was saying: All EU citizens need to apply for a permit when wanting to work abroad in one of the other EU members / countries.


Rubbish!


If you are a national of an EU member state that was a part of the EU before May 1, 2004 (these are: Luxemburg, Belgium, Ireland, Germany, France, Sweden, Spain, Greece, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, UK, Iceland) you should normally be allowed to live and work in any other of these countries. You will need a valid identity card or passport.


http://www.workpermit.com/european_union/european_union.htm
Actually it's not rubbish, one can transfer your unemployment benefit to any European Country to seek employment only for 3 months....all will have to go through each Countries application for a residence work permit, if those countries use them, most do.

You can however just take off with your passport and look for work, if you find a job, fine, though the Commune will inform you it will take several months 3 to 4 before they recieve your paper work, that's how i did it. They will also tell you you are not entitled for any social help, until your paperwork comes through. If you find work you must follow the local laws of that country with regards to work permits, in UK you cannot work until you are issued with a national insurance number, that is what allows you to work, and for foreigners the NI number is allocated by ethnic standing.

It's the way the police keep tabs on all foreign workers and you will not get permanent residence for example in Denmark until after 3 years, it is the same in most European Countries.

These residence permits allow you to get social welfare, and are normally handed into the police when returning to your own Country. However I never ever handed mine in, even though i returned to the UK in 1996 to take 2 A levels and 3 O levels.

On my return to Denmark I had a problem with the local immigration police, though they did let me keep the card after I had explained the union was still paying me while i studied. I was on my union pay roll while in UK and China at university.

All UK immigrants to Denmark for example have the same group of 4 numbers added to their births, it's quite an effective way of keeping control on peoples migration.

I also know some UK guys who had been sent back home several times, because they where social bums, eventually the guys married Danish so they could stay, though the police very often raided the homes, believing it was a marriage of convenience, which it was.

Though a transfer of all the European forms can take 3 months, Only when i went to Rhodes for 3 months looking for work, did i not get a work permit, because they are only given when you get a job, you then get permission to work. So 3 months you have to search for jobs in Europe, if you are from a member state.

Unfortunately each Country doesn't give a toss about European laws, they still apply local laws, and their is nothing you can do about it. Taking it to the European court will take a minimum of 5 years. The UK for example breaks every European law going.

And you will never ever get European legal representation in the UK, not through Citizens advice or any government body!

Shouting and screaming at your local euro MP is about the only chance you have, and they will just shrug their shoulders and say how screwed up Europe really is. Only people to blame are ones own politicians, who do not wish to give their constituents a too good a life, at the expense of the governments purse.

Though if you have a chance a barrister may take it on, if he can win 100% and make a name for himself, been there and done that, he told me straight, with a little giggle and after 3 hrs with him in his office and home he never even billed me.

This may help for Spain, it's the residence permit that allows you to work and you can only get one, when you are employed unless you transfer from another EU Country and you will not get one for the first 3 months, while documents are processed :http://www.spanishhouses4u.com/Property.htm
Last edited by ksl on Sat, 13 Feb 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 13 Feb 2010 12:31 am

Ksl,

Apart from the link I supplied, I have also spoken to some embassies if only to ask a question I already had the answer to; you do not have to go through each countries application for work permit if you are an EU resident, if that was ever the case it no longer applies in the majority of cases - read the passage contained in the link. In the case of The Netherlands EU nationals have to apply for work permit although they are not granted with one but as you would hope are allowed to work there. This as far as I can ascertain it to keep tabs on who is living there - not such a bad idea.

The rest of your post is either misinformed or out of date, the restriction you mention regarding Rhodes no longer applies. I have never heard of local laws being implemented in contradiction to EU laws.

:???:

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Sun, 14 Feb 2010 7:01 pm

Plavt wrote:Ozchick
Should you happen to read this here's link;

http://spain.othercountries.com/pages/articles/index.asp?page=teaching

Seems a good website and has a lot information much will have been the situation before the current economic crisis. That on teachers pay doesn't make pleasant reading.............

Gonna save this website cos it has some good stuff on it and thanks Plavt. Fortunately or otherwise I'm not an English teacher. Any job I get would need to be in an International School where most of the subject areas are required to be taught in English. They pay proper salaries with holiday pay, gratuities etc health benefits etc./ I'm finding heaps of jobs that are ideal for me and I've applied for quite a few. Thing is.... approx half of them state that the applicant must be an EU citizen due to 'difficulties with providing work permits' etc..... Many don't state it but they will then send me an email telling me the same thing.
The UK is known to be easier for Aussies and I will apply for some of those too but the cultural experience is what I'd prefer. Some school websites clearly show that they have Aussies on their staff...but whether these guys have 'ancestry rights' to dual passport etc is another question . I'm wondering if the 'time factor' involved in applying for work permits may be the reason why non EU citizens aren't wanted because of the fact that the intended employee could suddenly change their mind during the lengthy process ! That would be enough to deter any repeat efforts by employers on behalf of Aussies, Kiwis etc....OF COURSE IWOULD NEVER DO THAT! BUT I'VE TRIED TELLING THEM THAT I'M WONDERFUL AND AMAZING ETC AND IT'S GETTING ME NOWHERE! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sun, 14 Feb 2010 9:47 pm

Ozzie,
I think the UK would be your best bet there, perhaps because of our colonial past there is a better relationship between the two countries than other European countries. Should you get offered private work which is quite possible you will get more than enough chance to teach French and Spanish nationals amongst others. Easy to visit France by train, ferry or plane from the UK. You might enjoy other European destinations to, good luck. :)

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 1:16 pm

Plavt wrote:Ozzie,
I think the UK would be your best bet there, perhaps because of our colonial past there is a better relationship between the two countries than other European countries. Should you get offered private work which is quite possible you will get more than enough chance to teach French and Spanish nationals amongst others. Easy to visit France by train, ferry or plane from the UK. You might enjoy other European destinations to, good luck. :)


Muchas gracias Plavt and thanks for your efforts in all this. I've learned more than a wee bit here I can tell ya! Yeah the poms might just take a liking to me, ya never know. If I promise not to steal the cutlery I could be in like Flynn! And then there's those rainy places where a wee lass could end up.... like the emerald isle where my family somewhere on both sides escaped the potato famine or ....I could teach the kilted ones with their cute accents. We'd have a ball me and them- they wouldn't understand me and I wouldn't understand them! "Och eye the noo"- I'll find summit some place!
:)
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri, 17 Aug 2007
Location: In a spacious appartment

Postby Superglide » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 6:15 pm

Plavt wrote:
Superglide wrote:So.... What I was saying: All EU citizens need to apply for a permit when wanting to work abroad in one of the other EU members / countries.


Rubbish! That apparently is true is of The Netherlands but EU residents are not issued with a permit although they are allowed to work there apparently this is to keep check on immigration. Could have let us have a few more details........


If you are a national of an EU member state that was a part of the EU before May 1, 2004 (these are: Luxemburg, Belgium, Ireland, Germany, France, Sweden, Spain, Greece, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, UK, Iceland) you should normally be allowed to live and work in any other of these countries. You will need a valid identity card or passport.


http://www.workpermit.com/european_union/european_union.htm


Well, I guess all the expats I know must have been fooled by the various authorities all over Europe.

Strange, that my French and British colleagues had to go through the bureaucracy here in NL for their work permits. Strange, that I had to go throught the bureaucracy of obtaining a work permit, for working in London in a few months from now.

Coudl I get your phone number, to have the authorities call you, so you could explain to them, it is 'rubbish', as you say?

Or maybe, just maybe, you once again shout too early: Yes, it will be granted, but you do need to apply for a permit.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.

Pablo Picasso

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 6:54 pm

Superglide wrote:
Coudl I get your phone number, to have the authorities call you, so you could explain to them, it is 'rubbish', as you say?



You are obviously living in a fantasy and your statements merely a work of fiction. For the others reading this see the following;


http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/rightsandresponsibilites/#header4

User avatar
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri, 17 Aug 2007
Location: In a spacious appartment

Postby Superglide » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 4:26 am

Plavt wrote:living in a fantasy and statements merely a work of fiction.


excellent summary, it fits you perfectly.

I'd bet more than a handful of people on this and on another forum would shake hands in agreement.

Maybe try working abroad, you'd find out about reality.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.

Pablo Picasso

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 9:42 pm

Superglide wrote:
Plavt wrote:living in a fantasy and statements merely a work of fiction.


excellent summary, it fits you perfectly.

I'd bet more than a handful of people on this and on another forum would shake hands in agreement.

Maybe try working abroad, you'd find out about reality.


This is the so called contractors in charge of everything in UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8518574.stm

Decided to delete all the rest for the sake of an argument. But I stand by my word that UK breaks as many European laws has possible, to save money by changing the welfare state structure away from the agreements made before 1973. So that they could cheat the British public of their human rights and benefit claims! Only the British people cannot see it, because they have always lived a shitty life and think its normal in Europe, little do they know! Rip off Britain. Only 50% of the MP's cheated on their expense claims and none will be prosecuted for fraud!

Here is a few of thousands of links against the UK not applying European law, again the UK doesn't allow legal aid in UK for litigation, I wonder why!

http://www.europeanvoice.com/article/20 ... 64594.aspx

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3632944.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7266130.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ja ... ed-illegal


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests