Singapore Expats Forum

Calling Aussies. Work permit for EU?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Calling Aussies. Work permit for EU?

Postby ozchick » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 1:03 pm

Everyone will know the answer to this except me I think. Sorry. So here goes.
Can one apply for a work permit via an embassy, say to Spain or France and THEN search for a job there? I do understand the 'sponsorship' thing but that's as rare as hen's teeth.....
I'm well-qualified in my field but can't get jobs in Europe because of my Aussie passport. There is a real reluctance from potential European employers to deal with the work-permit hassle that we Aussies present. They're always very nice about it but basicall say, "Oh, you're from there" :cry:
Presume the answer's a resounding 'no', but hoping there may be some if's and but's to temper it!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Calling Aussies. Work permit for EU?

Postby Splatted » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 1:29 pm

ozchick wrote:Everyone will know the answer to this except me I think. Sorry. So here goes.
Can one apply for a work permit via an embassy, say to Spain or France and THEN search for a job there? I do understand the 'sponsorship' thing but that's as rare as hen's teeth.....
I'm well-qualified in my field but can't get jobs in Europe because of my Aussie passport. There is a real reluctance from potential European employers to deal with the work-permit hassle that we Aussies present. They're always very nice about it but basicall say, "Oh, you're from there" :cry:
Presume the answer's a resounding 'no', but hoping there may be some if's and but's to temper it!

I could be off the mark here, but isn't it supposed to be easy for Aussies to go to UK and work?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 4:19 pm

I think she's referring to the European Union and not the UK. :-|

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 4:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think she's referring to the European Union and not the UK. :-|

I thought UK was a member of the EU

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 4:48 pm

First to clarify a possible misunderstanding there is no work permit for the EU or EEC as it is more often called; people living in member states have the right to work in the respective countries without such. Please note there are one or two exceptions, Latvia being one such example at present.

Ozchick, I don't know how it works but even if that's permissible you would probably be wasting your time unless you speak fluent French not to mention Spain's current unemployment rate of around 14%! You would probably have more success in the UK as plenty of Aussie doctors either pass through or work here. I don't know about teachers and again I don't know how you would go about it, best to contact somebody in your profession living here is a possible start in the right direction.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 6:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think she's referring to the European Union and not the UK. :-|

Yes sms I am. I've tried to find people who've been down this path but can't find anyone. Most people just say to give up on the idea. My best bet would probably to get into Britain where sponsorship seems to be a bit easier and from there maybe I'd already have the work permit to then try for jobs in mainland Europe. Meanwhile think I'll just call some embassy here and ask. I see there's a French and Spanish embassy here. One can only ask. They can always say, "Oi bugger off!" :o

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 7:00 pm

Plavt wrote:First to clarify a possible misunderstanding there is no work permit for the EU or EEC as it is more often called; people living in member states have the right to work in the respective countries without such. Please note there are one or two exceptions, Latvia being one such example at present.

Ozchick, I don't know how it works but even if that's permissible you would probably be wasting your time unless you speak fluent French not to mention Spain's current unemployment rate of around 14%! You would probably have more success in the UK as plenty of Aussie doctors either pass through or work here. I don't know about teachers and again I don't know how you would go about it, best to contact somebody in your profession living here is a possible start in the right direction.

Nah my Spanish/French is far from fluent BUT it's the English that the International Schools want. They want English speakers for their expat schools. But are you saying that people living in member states ONLY have the right to work in THEIR own country, with no rights to other member states? (Excuse my ignorance but I'm just not up with this). If so they also would have to be applying for a work-permit to a neighbouring country if they weren't happy at home yeah? If so I gather that these permits apparently aren't a complicated procedure like they are for non E.U.citizens.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 8:34 pm

ozchick wrote: But are you saying that people living in member states ONLY have the right to work in THEIR own country, with no rights to other member states?

No, Seems I was a little careless with my choice of words; EEC nationals can work in the various member states without the need for a work permit the exception being Latvia and maybe one or two others.

Although Internantonal schools want English speakers you may well find your well to have good French spoken ability as when it comes to any dealings with the French away from teaching English you may find a problem. I have been told that although I could work legitimately in France and wouldn't need to speak French it would be much easier if I need (that might imply they prefer there own).

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 8:42 pm

ozchick wrote:My best bet would probably to get into Britain where sponsorship seems to be a bit easier and from there maybe I'd already have the work permit to then try for jobs in mainland Europe.

You have an Aussie passport so the permit you will get will be for the UK only, as I said earlier there is no universal work permit for Europe.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 07 Feb 2010 12:20 am

Plavt wrote:
ozchick wrote:My best bet would probably to get into Britain where sponsorship seems to be a bit easier and from there maybe I'd already have the work permit to then try for jobs in mainland Europe.

You have an Aussie passport so the permit you will get will be for the UK only, as I said earlier there is no universal work permit for Europe.

OK....think I've got this now. IF I can get a work permit to any country, e.g England it will only allow me access to that ONE country. Mm....right then. So a country's work -permit doesn't give me the same work-opportunities/ rights throughout the EEC as the citizens there have. That's fair enough...well except that they won't get the best person for the job! :wink: Anyway, I've emailed the Spanish embassy and am awaiting a reply. Might now email some others and see if they're all reading from the same hymn-sheet. Getting an edumacation here I am! Muchas gracias Plavt!

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Sun, 07 Feb 2010 9:35 am

If you make the move to the EU, stay there and don't come back until you have a second passport. :)

Don't you have any family ties to some European country that might aid in that attempt and speed things up a bit?

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sun, 07 Feb 2010 1:40 pm

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 07 Feb 2010 4:00 pm

aster wrote:If you make the move to the EU, stay there and don't come back until you have a second passport. :)

Don't you have any family ties to some European country that might aid in that attempt and speed things up a bit?

That might not mean anything; South Africans for example are granted the right to work in the UK on the basis of family ties but should they lose their job they have to return home if they cannot find a replacement occupation within a year. However, I would stress I do not know the full details as I am not South African.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 6:34 pm

aster wrote:If you make the move to the EU, stay there and don't come back until you have a second passport. :)

Family ties? I wish! I'm a 6th generation Aussie. Got more aboriginal blood in me than I have European! Nah...only chance I've got is land rights...mm...now there's a thought! Then I wouldn't need.....oops! :wink:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 6:43 pm

VERY helpful thank you x9200! Better than wondering why my email to the Spanish embassy was 'undelivered'.......
OK so very clearly stated all over the place there that one can't apply for a work permit without a job offer.......jolly good then I'll just have to try some other countries, worse could happen.