Singapore Expats Forum

Just got an EP, want to change jobs to contract, help?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
snaw

Just got an EP, want to change jobs to contract, help?

Postby snaw » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 7:53 am

Hi All,

I've been in Singapore 7 weeks now, and had a job lined up before I got here. Started 4 weeks ago, with an EP. I'm hating it - made a big mistake.

I'm at the final interview stage for another role, which is right up my ally, and is something I know I will enjoy (Long story short the current job is a bit of a career tangent for me, and now I'm in it I realize it's not for me).

If I get an offer, which to be honest I'm expecting it's going to be for a contract position. Anyone give me advice on what my options are to transfer, my EP if I'm self employed and just got my EP. Can I set up my own company (Contracted in the UK for years through a LTD), do I have to go through agency etc?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 10:06 am

I am afraid your post isn't entirely clear.

Are you working for an employer here in Singapore? You mention you are self employed. If you are self employed are you an EP by virtue of an EntrePass?

In any case, the EP cannot be transferred. It must be canceled and a new EP applied for by the prospective employer. So, if you currently have an EP, it is no guarantee that you can get a new EP with another employer.

The other employer must show cause as to why they need to hire a foreigner for the role if there are sufficient locals to fill the positions. So it's always a gamble. I would think that it would especially so considering the recent tightening up of criteria AND the fact that you only recently obtained your current EP.

If you are planning on self employment you need to apply for an EntrePass, See the sticky at the top of the Business Forum for more information in that regard.

sms

snaw

Postby snaw » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 4:30 pm

I'm working for an employer, here in Singapore full time. Got my EP 4 weeks ago.

I'm looking like I could get an offer for another job, which would be contract based.

Skills wise I'm very specialized, so usually justification isn't ever an issue for a company (Only 200 locals have my qualification).

I'll look at the entrepass sticky, guess I could also work direct for an agency as well, get an EP that way?

Thanks.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 6:04 pm

snaw wrote:Skills wise I'm very specialized, so usually justification isn't ever an issue for a company (Only 200 locals have my qualification).

The Singapore government is kind of myopic in this regard -- the EP criteria only cares about your salary, your educational qualifications and work experience (in that order). You may be the world's #1 expert in heuristic widget optimization, but that doesn't tick any boxes in the application form.

I'll look at the entrepass sticky, guess I could also work direct for an agency as well, get an EP that way?

Only if you can find an agency willing to sponsor you for an EP...

BTW, have you asked the company potentially offering you the contract whether they'd be willing to apply for an EP for you? Or are they only willing to commit to a limited period?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

snaw

Postby snaw » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 8:29 am

Salary will be pretty high, by western or local standards I think, qualifications as I say are pretty specialized and experience wise I've been doing what I do for 18 years so got plenty.

I actually asked my agency yesterday, and they would be willing to. Guess I just want to know all my options, but seems like the entrepass would be too difficult for me to get just now. Assume that's pretty much it?

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:26 am

snaw wrote:Salary will be pretty high, by western or local standards I think, qualifications as I say are pretty specialized and experience wise I've been doing what I do for 18 years so got plenty.

Then EP shouldn't be a problem.

I actually asked my agency yesterday, and they would be willing to.

Great. Only downside to this is that you're tied down with them for a while, but you can probably get PR in a few years' time and then you're free.

Guess I just want to know all my options, but seems like the entrepass would be too difficult for me to get just now. Assume that's pretty much it?

Yup. With the new rules, Entrepass doesn't really make sense for a single consultant any more...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague