Singapore Expats Forum

How many Indian languagues in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

How many Indian languagues in Singapore

Postby ksl » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 8:48 pm

Is the translation correct in Hindi.

Brown rice fruit vinegar beverage भूरा चावल फल सिरका पेय

and how many more Indian languages used here in Singapore?

mayaray
Regular
Regular

Postby mayaray » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 9:48 am

hm..i guess existing Singaporean Indians would speak mainly Tamil as we know and other South Indian languages, malayali, telegu etc

Increase in Hindi usage is prob due to new expats from India in recent years

are you learning Hindi?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:04 am

Nah, he's ramping up his advertising campaign for his drinking vinegar. :wink:

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 5:54 pm

Here's a quote from wikipedia
Individual mother tongues in India number several hundred; the 1961 census recognized 1,652[5] (SIL Ethnologue lists 415). According to Census of India of 2001, 29 languages are spoken by more than a million native speakers, 122 by more than 10,000.

So there should be enough people in Singapore that speak atleast the 29 languages.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 7:01 pm

revhappy wrote:So there should be enough people in Singapore that speak atleast the 29 languages.

I guess you mean "that speak at least one of the 29 languages....

If not, tell me the secret!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nah, he's ramping up his advertising campaign for his drinking vinegar. :wink:

8-) भूरा चावल फल सिरका पेय translates Brown ावल head of fruit drinks :???: I'll stick with 2 Indian and count my blessings.

Thought I would ask all the foreigners here to translate "Brown rice fruit vinegar beverage" It's part of my integration into the Singapore community.....so go ahead folks, lets see how many different languages pop up. Ramping up his advertising cool! 8-) Now ya giving me ideas :P

Actually I'm trying to ensure the translation is not hysterical, failing miserably with some languages :roll:

I was in Brunie last week and discovered that Brunie Malay is not the same as Malaysia :o

hg
Regular
Regular

Re: How many Indian languagues in Singapore

Postby hg » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 9:00 am

ksl wrote:Is the translation correct in Hindi.

Translated word to word - its OK but on a whole it will make little sense to a native Hindi speaker like me. Its not your fault though, its just that "Brown rice fruit vinegar beverage" sounds weird even in English :-)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 9:35 am

ksl wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nah, he's ramping up his advertising campaign for his drinking vinegar. :wink:

8-) भूरा चावल फल सिरका पेय translates Brown ावल head of fruit drinks :???: I'll stick with 2 Indian and count my blessings.

Thought I would ask all the foreigners here to translate "Brown rice fruit vinegar beverage" It's part of my integration into the Singapore community.....so go ahead folks, lets see how many different languages pop up. Ramping up his advertising cool! 8-) Now ya giving me ideas :P

Actually I'm trying to ensure the translation is not hysterical, failing miserably with some languages :roll:

I was in Brunie last week and discovered that Brunie Malay is not the same as Malaysia :o

Brunei speaks more Bahasa Indonesia then Bahasa Melayu so be careful when ordering oxtail soup in Malaysia after spending long periods of time in Indonesia/Brunei. :P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: How many Indian languagues in Singapore

Postby ksl » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:37 pm

hg wrote:
ksl wrote:Is the translation correct in Hindi.

Translated word to word - its OK but on a whole it will make little sense to a native Hindi speaker like me. Its not your fault though, its just that "Brown rice fruit vinegar beverage" sounds weird even in English :-)
Even to an Englishman it's weird, maybe it should read "Fermented brown rice vinegar and fruit juice beverage"?

I'm looking for the easiest expression to visualise the beverage from a locals perspective, in many languages.

In the UK the majority do not drink vinegar at all, apple cider vinegar with honey, which is far from the best is available for alternative health remedies. Though apple cider is far less superior due to the lack of protein.

Heart

Postby Heart » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 4:33 pm

oh I wanna learn Hindi

namaste :D

agopal
Regular
Regular

Postby agopal » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 5:22 pm

ksl wrote: 8-) भूरा चावल फल सिरका पेय translates Brown ावल head of fruit drinks :???: I'll stick with 2 Indian and count my blessings.

सिरका in one word means vinegar. सिरका when split like सिर का means head of...

Happy hindi learning to all of you....!! :D
Monday is a hard way to spend one-seventh of your life...!!!