Singapore Expats

Expat restrictions

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Expat restrictions

Post by ksl » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:40 am

According to a newspaper report yesterday, expats will not be allowed to exceed, one third of the Singapore citizen population.

For the last couple of years, it was over one third, hence the cut back! Decided by ministers and the immigration authority.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 11:22 am

I feel what they mean is those construction workers..

because IR and sentosa resorts these two big projects already been build finished by now.

so there will be not much construction workers to be needed.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 6:01 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:I feel what they mean is those construction workers..

because IR and sentosa resorts these two big projects already been build finished by now.

so there will be not much construction workers to be needed.
Actually Singapore's productivity for the last 10 years has only been 1%, the government is kicking butt, from now on, and higher foreign labour levies, are on the books.

Singaporeans will have to work for their money, that means upgrading there skills, within the companies, in stead of companies taking advantage of cheap labour! Innovation and productivity is the way to go and many Companies do not adapt to the technological know how which is available.

These companies will die a certain death, if they do not become more efficient.

I don't think it will effect those talents that can contribute, however I suspect the wisest thing to do is tighter controls on all industries... Those that are seen to blossom, will be allowed to do so......

My thoughts are not enough Singaporean companies are getting involved with the grants available, to upgrade business efficiencies. They will find it harder having to pay higher foreign labour levies, in stead of training their own people

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 6:27 pm

Unfortunately, they still aren't addressing the basic problem of menial labour. There is nothing you can do to upgrade the menial labourer short of buying mechanical means to do it. Even then, It's hard to get a local to do menial labour or work outside in the hot sun. Until you can figure out how to get around that one, the dependency on foreign labour will remain. Or until the Union actually becomes a union and tradesmen get paid like they should instead of slave wages. A coded welder in Singapore makes SGD4~5K/month and coded Welder from the US or AU or UK makes SGD8-12K/mo in Singapore. Go figure.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 8:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, they still aren't addressing the basic problem of menial labour. There is nothing you can do to upgrade the menial labourer short of buying mechanical means to do it. Even then, It's hard to get a local to do menial labour or work outside in the hot sun. Until you can figure out how to get around that one, the dependency on foreign labour will remain. Or until the Union actually becomes a union and tradesmen get paid like they should instead of slave wages. A coded welder in Singapore makes SGD4~5K/month and coded Welder from the US or AU or UK makes SGD8-12K/mo in Singapore. Go figure.
I agree with you SMS, though its front page reading today in the local rag :-| looks like companies have started hiring again :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 8:44 pm

Yeah, I saw it. But then again, we all know that that rag is nothing but a government mouthpiece and time and time again, they have stuck their foot innit. Hell, every quarter for the past umpteen years they have had to revise their projection downwards ("seasonally adjusted" and other silly BS that they use for excuses of not being able to tell the public the honest truth).

I wonder how much truth there was in that article as well regarding unemployment. If it like the US, it's gotten better because a lot of folks have given up looking for work. However, if it is true, then they are going to have to start hiring foreign workers again aren't they? You do see the irony there I hope. :wink: If it's only 2% as they are claiming, then what happened to the "Structural Unemployment" that they said was 2.5% and would never be able to go below? Who's BSing Whom?

Oh, we never stopped hiring or paying bonuses throughout this whole recession. We couldn't get enough employees of the "local" flavour and when we did hire them, they'd leave after a week or after a day (just had two today pick up their final).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 1:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, they still aren't addressing the basic problem of menial labour. There is nothing you can do to upgrade the menial labourer short of buying mechanical means to do it.
That's what they mean by productivity improvements -- if you can buy a machine that's operated by one guy and does the work of two, you've just increased your productivity per person by 100%.
Or until the Union actually becomes a union and tradesmen get paid like they should instead of slave wages.
Or pigs learn to fly...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 4:22 pm

jpatokal wrote: That's what they mean by productivity improvements -- if you can buy a machine that's operated by one guy and does the work of two, you've just increased your productivity per person by 100%.

Or pigs learn to fly...
Yeah, kinda bad sentence there. What I actually meant was you can buy mechanical means to do the job, but you still need foreign labour to operate the machines (unless you can figure out how to aircon the area around the machine and get it out of the hot sun so the locals don't "tan")

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Expat restrictions

Post by intellectualsmuse » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:28 pm

ksl wrote:According to a newspaper report yesterday, expats will not be allowed to exceed, one third of the Singapore citizen population.

For the last couple of years, it was over one third, hence the cut back! Decided by ministers and the immigration authority.
Wow, does this mean my search for a job has ended before its even begun? *sobs* Just landed here a couple of days ago...
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:50 pm

so does that mean singapore doesnt care anymor for its no.1 business location slogan?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:58 pm

morenangpinay wrote:so does that mean singapore doesnt care anymor for its no.1 business location slogan?
Personal preservation takes precedence. It's an election year too from what I gather. :P
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 9:02 am

Aren't they planning on forming the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) by 2015? Won't this do away with a lot of the protectionism that countries embrace today (even though most of us here would still be from outside the new bloc)?