Singapore Expats Forum

How long is the employment pass wait?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

ceej1979
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu, 03 Sep 2009
Location: Bristol, England

How long is the employment pass wait?

Postby ceej1979 » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 3:42 am

Is the 4-6 weeks they state for pass decisions, pretty uniform in general?

I'm happy to wait. Just wondering if you ever get shorter decisions - like within a week, or a couple of weeks or something like that?

I'm just planning on going away for a 2-3 weeks, and may or may not be in e-mail contact with the company.

If I got a positive decision, I'd have to act straight away with my company, in regards to notice. I'm picturing me going away, and then getting the fastest decision of all time, and having waisted a week or so with it sat in my inbox.

Worth bringing the blackberry, and staying on contact. Or can I safely assume that I won't hear anything for at least, say 2 weeks?

thanks!

Tas Burrfoot
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue, 10 Nov 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: How long is the employment pass wait?

Postby Tas Burrfoot » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 3:45 am

ceej1979 wrote:Is the 4-6 weeks they state for pass decisions, pretty uniform in general?

I'm happy to wait. Just wondering if you ever get shorter decisions - like within a week, or a couple of weeks or something like that?

I'm just planning on going away for a 2-3 weeks, and may or may not be in e-mail contact with the company.

If I got a positive decision, I'd have to act straight away with my company, in regards to notice. I'm picturing me going away, and then getting the fastest decision of all time, and having waisted a week or so with it sat in my inbox.

Worth bringing the blackberry, and staying on contact. Or can I safely assume that I won't hear anything for at least, say 2 weeks?

thanks!


4-6 weeks is pretty long... My gf got hers in 1 day, this was in mid December.

You can proceed with your vacation but just probably make sure you tell your prospective employee that you will be out of the island. And make sure you have email access. :)
My Misadventures... - trips in and around Southeast Asia

ceej1979
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu, 03 Sep 2009
Location: Bristol, England

Re: How long is the employment pass wait?

Postby ceej1979 » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 7:58 am

Tas Burrfoot wrote:
ceej1979 wrote:Is the 4-6 weeks they state for pass decisions, pretty uniform in general?

I'm happy to wait. Just wondering if you ever get shorter decisions - like within a week, or a couple of weeks or something like that?

I'm just planning on going away for a 2-3 weeks, and may or may not be in e-mail contact with the company.

If I got a positive decision, I'd have to act straight away with my company, in regards to notice. I'm picturing me going away, and then getting the fastest decision of all time, and having waisted a week or so with it sat in my inbox.

Worth bringing the blackberry, and staying on contact. Or can I safely assume that I won't hear anything for at least, say 2 weeks?

thanks!


4-6 weeks is pretty long... My gf got hers in 1 day, this was in mid December.

You can proceed with your vacation but just probably make sure you tell your prospective employee that you will be out of the island. And make sure you have email access. :)



1 day? Wow. Was she a really high earner - like the Q1 over 7k people? Or was it just a normal sort of one?

I'm actually probably the only person on here who wants it to take maybe 5-6 weeks!

I've told them I will head right out if I got one (and plan to stick to that commitment whatever happens just to show them that I mean business) and also have a wedding in the UK in 6 weeks to go to. So If I can hang on for another 3 weeks, I can still go!

Although, I'lll be very happy if I got it obviously

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:37 am

If the EP application is filed online (and there's no reason not to), they're usually processed very quickly -- a P1 EP I handled recently was approved in under 24 hours (!). It only takes 4-6 weeks if you send in a paper application.

However, the EP is valid for 3-6 months after issuing, so there's no need to for you fly off to Singapore immediately.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ceej1979
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu, 03 Sep 2009
Location: Bristol, England

Postby ceej1979 » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:37 pm

jpatokal wrote:If the EP application is filed online (and there's no reason not to), they're usually processed very quickly -- a P1 EP I handled recently was approved in under 24 hours (!). It only takes 4-6 weeks if you send in a paper application.

However, the EP is valid for 3-6 months after issuing, so there's no need to for you fly off to Singapore immediately.


Ahhh, I see. I think I misunderstood. I assumed the 6 week thing referred to all applications.

It's definitely been sent online. Yesterday I think. I just assumed it would take numerous weeks.

I'll keep in contact with HR then. As I said, I have a lot to organise, and need to know one way or the other ASAP.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests