Singapore Expats Forum

expats who have lived in China or HK

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

expats who have lived in China or HK

Postby carolynW » Sun, 31 Jan 2010 9:00 am

Would you by any chance still have your contacts to a maid agency? We may be moving to Europe and I would like to get a chinese nanny to upkeep the kids Chinese. I want to start interviewing as soon as we know we are moving...

x9200

Re: expats who have lived in China or HK

Postby x9200 » Sun, 31 Jan 2010 9:35 am

carolynW wrote:Would you by any chance still have your contacts to a maid agency? We may be moving to Europe and I would like to get a chinese nanny to upkeep the kids Chinese. I want to start interviewing as soon as we know we are moving...

Have you checked whether you can bring alone such person to Europe? Unless you marry or adopt her it may not be that straight forward.

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby merichan » Sun, 31 Jan 2010 9:51 am

yes depends which european country we are talking about.

I know for example that Switzerland might say yes but the maid needs to be working for you beforehand for a year or so.

julietzhuye

Postby julietzhuye » Sun, 31 Jan 2010 11:10 am

if you are moving to UK, don't think you can bring anyone from China, but there are plenty of Chinese there, and you can post ad to find I think...

Juliet

oku
Regular
Regular

Postby oku » Sun, 31 Jan 2010 6:10 pm

my advice is not to bring a foreign maid along with you.

i took mine with me and after 6 months there in a foreign land, she left without notice and claimed that i was not paying her salary at the right rate. luckily i had all the relevant documents/proof to show that i was paying her the market rate (in that country) and her rest days etc. + a proper bedroom etc. so the claim was dropped after the relevant department investigated and in my favour.

she has been with me in spore for more than 2 years and she called me one day (pretending that nothing happened) and asked about a loan and reference. she claimed that her cousins (i didnt know she has one there) said she can get compensation if she complained and also she wants to look for a higher paid job. now she is still looking (working part time) and her visa is expiring soon.

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carolynW » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 6:51 pm

Yes I have checked and know process, i just need some help on step one which is to interview and find the right person.