Singapore Expats Forum

question about preposition

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

julinico

question about preposition

Postby julinico » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 8:05 pm

Hi all.

Question: is it 'good luck for the interview' or 'good luck on the interview' ?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 8:46 pm

The latter I'd say, but personally, I'd use "at the interview". Don't think any of them are particularly 'wrong' though. 'Course I'm an ole farmboy, so what would I know. Maybe some of the more learned types here as a definitive answer.

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:45 pm

I'd say "Good luck on your interview." But as already noted, I don't think any of them are incorrect. The first one is a little more formal, which may be just right in some contexts and too stiff in others.
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:49 pm

I'm with SMS - I'd probably say "Good luck at your interview".

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:58 pm

I'd say "with".
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:00 pm

AT or WITH would be best. Not sure about FOR.
ON is a definite NO WAY!

Better still- "good luck after the interview"! :wink:
Last edited by ozchick on Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:03 pm

Good luck during the interviews

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:17 pm

Or, if you haven't been called......

Good luck 'getting' an interview! :wink:

julinico

Postby julinico » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:48 am

AT or WITH would be best. Not sure about FOR.
ON is a definite NO WAY!

Hey ozchick,

I usually use 'for' or 'with'. And I also never use 'on'. Why is 'on' a definite no for you?

And since we're on English grammar, is "I have about 4 years' experience in the industry" acceptable, with an apostrophe after years, as opposed to the usual writing of "4 years of experience..."

I think the apostrophe here is acceptable, just as in "two weeks' (worth of) notice".

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 8:01 pm

Well, they do say that laughter is the best medicine. One has to admire the taunt, unwavering rectitude of anyone who must categorically state anything.

The last word on grammar is always usage; even if it appalls the older generation, or perhaps exactly for that reason.

Google results:

Good luck ...

with 71.4 million
in 29.6 million
on 17.7 million
for 11.1 million
at 5.2 million
during 0.2 million

... your interview

in 4.2 million
for 3.8 million
on 3.2 million
with 2.6 million
at 1.7 million
during 0.8 million

So, whilst 'with' figures quite highly in conjunction with good luck, it's usage is less common when used in the context of an interview. And in fact the almost universal use of 'with' in conjunction with present participles such as in: Good luck with your swimming; running; blowing; farting; flying, probably explains its strong representation.

As should be self evident, 'on,' in either sentence fragment, is far from a 'definite NO WAY.'

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 8:38 pm

So then you are saying "I will send you home" and "can I follow you to the store" are correct in Singapore because 75 per of the population in Singapore (or virtually 100% of Singaporeans) say it that way. Or did I miss something. :P

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 8:41 pm

SunWuKong wrote:Well, they do say that laughter is the best medicine. One has to admire the taunt, unwavering rectitude of anyone who must categorically state anything.

The last word on grammar is always usage; even if it appalls the older generation, or perhaps exactly for that reason.

Google results:

Good luck ...

with 71.4 million
in 29.6 million
on 17.7 million
for 11.1 million
at 5.2 million
during 0.2 million

... your interview

in 4.2 million
for 3.8 million
on 3.2 million
with 2.6 million
at 1.7 million
during 0.8 million

So, whilst 'with' figures quite highly in conjunction with good luck, it's usage is less common when used in the context of an interview. And in fact the almost universal use of 'with' in conjunction with present participles such as in: Good luck with your swimming; running; blowing; farting; flying, probably explains its strong representation.

As should be self evident, 'on,' in either sentence fragment, is far from a 'definite NO WAY.'

I bet you are a real hit with the ladies ? :lol:

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:31 pm

QRM wrote:I bet you are a real hit with the ladies ? :lol:

:( Ease up QRM, I'm anticipating that my luck will improve once my prescription contacts arrive, the segmented nickel braces come out and the doctor says I can remove the scoliosis back brace.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:36 pm

hehe...reminds of the time at the Alley Bar when they were closing and one of the staff asked if we wished she could 'usher us to the door'....

who else speaks like that in this century?

Like the way the word "manage" is overused here, when simply 'did' suffices, as as in, "did you manage to speak with XXX?"

It's right up there with the silly faux-Victorian manner of starting sentences with "do", as in "Do give me a call". Earns a smirk from me every time.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So then you are saying "I will send you home" and "can I follow you to the store" are correct in Singapore because 75 per of the population in Singapore (or virtually 100% of Singaporeans) say it that way. Or did I miss something. :P
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 31 Jan 2010 1:48 pm

SunWuKong wrote:

There's nothing wrong with using good luck 'on' e.g. your birthday, your wedding day etc but for reasons I'm not sure of and am going to research it's not good with 'your interview'. Good luck 'on' seems to need the word 'day' but I can't work out why. Good luck on your exam would also be wrong unless one said exam day. I have experts in the family on this kind of thing. Can't win a point on my instincts here so will come back to you all with my research results!

Ain't this fun!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'