Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for Ski/ Snowboard Buddies

Find your sports & recreational partners & Teams here.
Peruvia
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 25 Aug 2009
Location: Singapore

Looking for Ski/ Snowboard Buddies

Postby Peruvia » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:35 am

Hi all, I'm new here.

Spent a couple of days at a Ski Resort (Kiroro), Hokkaido Japan & just got back last week.

Am in love with Skiing! Snow was really powdery & the resort's beautiful. Would love to go carving lines in snow again very soon!

Was wondering if there's anyone into it & up for a short ski getaway in Feb/ Early March, since i don't have any friends who are into this sport or can getaway during that period.

Even if not, anywhere not too far that you'll recommend for a quick ski trip?

We could always catch up for dinner/ coffee & make further ski plans (if any) from there.


Oh PS// I'm not a Skiing Expert!

EddieH
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon, 04 Jan 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby EddieH » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 5:01 am

This isn't likely to be of much use to you as I'm only moving over at the start of March but I'm very keen to get some ski trips in once I move over (for 2 years +) so would love to hear about any future trips.

Like yourself, I'm no expert but it's my new favourite thing so I'm determined not to miss out on it just because I move to Singapore! I nearly moved to Geneva instead just for the ski...

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear be anywhere close at all for a 'short trip'; I think you're looking at a minimum 6/7 hour flight.

rw81
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed, 18 Mar 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby rw81 » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:04 am

I'd really like to try skiing or snowboarding, but have never done either before so I'd definitely need some lessons. If that's not a problem I'd be keen to join you.

Peruvia
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 25 Aug 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Peruvia » Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:16 am

EddieH wrote:This isn't likely to be of much use to you as I'm only moving over at the start of March but I'm very keen to get some ski trips in once I move over (for 2 years +) so would love to hear about any future trips.

Like yourself, I'm no expert but it's my new favourite thing so I'm determined not to miss out on it just because I move to Singapore! I nearly moved to Geneva instead just for the ski...

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear be anywhere close at all for a 'short trip'; I think you're looking at a minimum 6/7 hour flight.


New favourite thing, yes! I love the peace & wind when riding up the ski lift.

Haha 6-7 Hours is decently 'short' enough to me, to get us somewhere with a totally different climate!

Well we could still head to Hokkaido in March, they've got longer winters so the snow will just be finishing up March.

But i guess you'll be busy settling down & all once you arrive here, hopefully we can work out 1 trip to Melbourne in June/ July!

Peruvia
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 25 Aug 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Peruvia » Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:19 am

rw81 wrote:I'd really like to try skiing or snowboarding, but have never done either before so I'd definitely need some lessons. If that's not a problem I'd be keen to join you.


Nope, not a problem at all. I'm no expert myself.

Most ski resorts will have instructors so you can choose to get them to teach you the basics. Will just take a coupla hours for you to move around decently :P

My instructor said.. "Well if you can walk, you can ski".

True enough - I got moving around in minutes! Haha.. But coming down slopes & turns, different thing altogether!

EddieH
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon, 04 Jan 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby EddieH » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 6:07 am

Peruvia wrote:
EddieH wrote:This isn't likely to be of much use to you as I'm only moving over at the start of March but I'm very keen to get some ski trips in once I move over (for 2 years +) so would love to hear about any future trips.

Like yourself, I'm no expert but it's my new favourite thing so I'm determined not to miss out on it just because I move to Singapore! I nearly moved to Geneva instead just for the ski...

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear be anywhere close at all for a 'short trip'; I think you're looking at a minimum 6/7 hour flight.


New favourite thing, yes! I love the peace & wind when riding up the ski lift.

Haha 6-7 Hours is decently 'short' enough to me, to get us somewhere with a totally different climate!

Well we could still head to Hokkaido in March, they've got longer winters so the snow will just be finishing up March.

But i guess you'll be busy settling down & all once you arrive here, hopefully we can work out 1 trip to Melbourne in June/ July!


Yeah I think I'll be too busy getting myself set up in new job/accommodation to go skiing in March unfortunately. Plus, I'm getting two weeks in Austria this month before I arrive; don't want to be too greedy!

Could always look into a July trip like you mention. From what I've heard from some Aussie mates, though, Australian skiing isn't up to much at and wouldn't be worth the long, expensive trip just for ski. I think NZ would be a must.

Peruvia
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 25 Aug 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Peruvia » Tue, 02 Feb 2010 11:34 am

EddieH wrote:
Peruvia wrote:
EddieH wrote:This isn't likely to be of much use to you as I'm only moving over at the start of March but I'm very keen to get some ski trips in once I move over (for 2 years +) so would love to hear about any future trips.

Like yourself, I'm no expert but it's my new favourite thing so I'm determined not to miss out on it just because I move to Singapore! I nearly moved to Geneva instead just for the ski...

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear be anywhere close at all for a 'short trip'; I think you're looking at a minimum 6/7 hour flight.


New favourite thing, yes! I love the peace & wind when riding up the ski lift.

Haha 6-7 Hours is decently 'short' enough to me, to get us somewhere with a totally different climate!

Well we could still head to Hokkaido in March, they've got longer winters so the snow will just be finishing up March.

But i guess you'll be busy settling down & all once you arrive here, hopefully we can work out 1 trip to Melbourne in June/ July!


Yeah I think I'll be too busy getting myself set up in new job/accommodation to go skiing in March unfortunately. Plus, I'm getting two weeks in Austria this month before I arrive; don't want to be too greedy!

Could always look into a July trip like you mention. From what I've heard from some Aussie mates, though, Australian skiing isn't up to much at and wouldn't be worth the long, expensive trip just for ski. I think NZ would be a must.


NZ, Australia.. I don't really care. As long as we get the trip materialized!

Will PM you my MSN addy, let's add up!

welda
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat, 26 Dec 2009

I'm up for NZ

Postby welda » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:00 pm

Just got back from Hakuba a few weeks back, the snow was amazing.

I'm up for a trip to New Zealand in July or August. I spent a season in Thredbo Australia and can tell you it is good when there is a lot of snow, but pretty average most of the time. The cost of getting down there and all the extras just don't make it worthwhile.

PM me if you are thinking of NZ.

Peruvia
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 25 Aug 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Peruvia » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 1:28 pm

Peruvia wrote:
Will PM you my MSN addy, let's add up!


Oh Eddie, i just realized that there are a lotta spammers adding people up on MSN & i've been rejecting them like crazy. Just drop me a reply bout your MSN addy on my PM so i can keep a lookout for it alright.

Peruvia
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 25 Aug 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Peruvia » Wed, 03 Feb 2010 1:28 pm

welda wrote:Just got back from Hakuba a few weeks back, the snow was amazing.

I'm up for a trip to New Zealand in July or August. I spent a season in Thredbo Australia and can tell you it is good when there is a lot of snow, but pretty average most of the time. The cost of getting down there and all the extras just don't make it worthwhile.

PM me if you are thinking of NZ.


NZ sounds cool like Eddie's suggested. I'm in.

Peruvia
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 25 Aug 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Peruvia » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 1:16 pm

Hey guys, I'll probably be heading up Hokkaido/ Tokyo for a quick trip coming end Feb & Early March - to get 1 last ski session before the snow wraps up for winter.

Looking at 5D4N, probably departing Wed/ Returning Sunday.

Dates:
24 Feb - 28 Feb
3 Mar - 7 Mar
10 Mar - 14 Mar

Let me know if anyone can go, we can meet up for food & drinks to plan.

whiteprint
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 27 Mar 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby whiteprint » Sat, 06 Mar 2010 1:14 am

Hi guys,
Not sure if this thread is still live..

I'm looking to head down to NZ to pick up snowboarding and hoping for travel buddies.

If you're interested, we'll have to head down after 18 July as that's the end of sch hols for the kids. At the moment, I'm thinking of a 1-2weeks trip, to Queenstown - either Ohau, Canterbury or Cardrona Alpine Resort, Wanaka - as these have better slopes for beginners.

PM me if you are keen!

Peruvia
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 25 Aug 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Peruvia » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:35 am

whiteprint wrote:Hi guys,
Not sure if this thread is still live..

I'm looking to head down to NZ to pick up snowboarding and hoping for travel buddies.

If you're interested, we'll have to head down after 18 July as that's the end of sch hols for the kids. At the moment, I'm thinking of a 1-2weeks trip, to Queenstown - either Ohau, Canterbury or Cardrona Alpine Resort, Wanaka - as these have better slopes for beginners.

PM me if you are keen!


PMed you =)

welda
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat, 26 Dec 2009

NZ

Postby welda » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 5:30 pm

Anyone interested in going to NZ for a ski trip in July or early August?
Flights seem to be very expensive right about now - does anyone know reasonable travel agents or other suggestions?
Any advice on Queenstown, the four resorts, which are better for snowboarders?

kantra
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 24 Jun 2010

Postby kantra » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 5:10 pm

i'm a beginner/intermediate snowboarder.. did 2 seasons in lake tahoe before..

looking forward to join a ski trip or help to plan one... PM me your msn/email :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Sports & Recreational Partners & Team”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest