Singapore Expats Forum

Would you become a Singapore citizen if...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Feb 2010 5:07 pm

aster wrote:The initial glamour wears off after several weeks or months, then comes the worst part when you start being negative and only focus on the worst aspects.

But after that you realise how great this country is and you appreciate the fact that you live here. Maybe it's just me and my line of work where everything is flexible, but I cannot think of a better place that I would prefer to live in. I've been a resident of several countries, visited many, many more... but (surprisingly) Singapore feels more like home than anywhere else. The only time I feel like a foreigner is when I board a SQ flight to somewhere else.

And then there is the final bit to the otherwise accurate timeline.

That's when you finally realize that the moment you stop working you will forgotten and even if you want to work, unless you are an entrepreneur, you will be SOL. That this whole city-state is nothing but a charade. The the reality of this "Corporation" dawns on you. You are not "human capital" for nothing. Once they have squeezed the last bit of juices from you, you are tossed on the "wagon". Kinda like the scene from Month Python and the Holy Grail. "Bring out your dead, bring out your dead!"

I have to admit, it took me 2 decades to get to that point though. :-|

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 13 Feb 2010 5:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: You are not "human capital" for nothing. Once they have squeezed the last bit of juices from you, you are tossed on the "wagon". |

Isn't that the same anywhere else? About the only way anybody, be it a city, state, country or individual gets rich is by exploitation of labour........

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Feb 2010 6:22 pm

Almost, except here it is the State Sanctioned Religion! :lol:

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 6:22 pm

aster wrote:
Superglide wrote:Each and every one's personal opinions respected, but I would strongly suggest those, who after a few years in Singapore, think of taking up Singapore citizenship, to spend a few more years, before taking that decision.

The glitter and glamour of the tropical country called Singapore, often does not last as long as a lifetime, but the decision is for a lifetime.

I for one am very happy I never took up the Singapore citizenship, when I had the chance to do so.

The initial glamour wears off after several weeks or months, then comes the worst part when you start being negative and only focus on the worst aspects.

But after that you realise how great this country is and you appreciate the fact that you live here. Maybe it's just me and my line of work where everything is flexible, but I cannot think of a better place that I would prefer to live in. I've been a resident of several countries, visited many, many more... but (surprisingly) Singapore feels more like home than anywhere else. The only time I feel like a foreigner is when I board a SQ flight to somewhere else.

It all wears down, to what is important in life for you.

If you find that in Singapore, good for you.

But elaborate, does that translate to Singapore citizenship, and if so, why? (please be a bit more specific than 'great').
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 7:38 pm

Singaporeans I have spoken to recently believe that within a few years the gov't will allow new citizens to hold onto their old passports. Not sure why they seem so convinced about this - is there any indication that legislative changes will head in this direction?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 7:49 am

aster wrote:Singaporeans I have spoken to recently believe that within a few years the gov't will allow new citizens to hold onto their old passports. Not sure why they seem so convinced about this - is there any indication that legislative changes will head in this direction?

It will only change only if the Harry Dynasty is no more in power. It is the same in 1985 when there was a white paper on dual citizenship, nobody notice it then as it was seen as detrimental to SG sovereignty.
Or like the F1 GP was first offered to SG then but some *&^%head said it was detrimental to SG public as they worry it will create alot of street racers BUT when M'sia took the F1 and the amount of revenue they got each year, he blame he was ill advised back then. They basically have to pay thru their nose to Bernie to get the F1 here.
SO.... things will change if other things change first. :)
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!