Singapore Expats Forum

Would you become a Singapore citizen if...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

aster
Manager
Manager

Would you become a Singapore citizen if...

Postby aster » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 8:16 pm

... you weren't required to relinquish your current citizenship?

At present you are required to denounce your current citizenship (and provide proof of doing so) before being granted your Singapore citizenship. What would you do if the laws changed and you no longer had to give up your current passport? :)

(I'm posting this here instead of the Relocating/Moving forum because this is just a hypothetical ("what if?" type) discussion)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 9:01 pm

I would have opted for dual citizenship years ago had they allowed it, but as it stands, now I can't wait to get out of here. After 28+ years of being in limbo now all I want to do is go fishing! In a couple of more years "I'll be sittin' on the dock on the bay" :P

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 9:53 pm

Once you are a PR you have already taken into account NS and CPF withholding as the 2 negatives.
Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:14 pm

:???: Why are they two negatives? Second Gen PR's do NS and all PR's pay CPF as well.

banker

Postby banker » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 3:19 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote::???: Why are they two negatives? Second Gen PR's do NS and all PR's pay CPF as well.

You may wish to read revhappy's post again. He is comparing Citizenship & PR & non PR/Citizenship.

According to him, someone who took PR has already considered&accepted NS (for 2nd Gen) and CPF, these two are not deciding factors in choosing citizenship.
I love Singapore

Hugo_R

Postby Hugo_R » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 6:46 am

Having PR and Canadian and French citizenship I don't see an advantage in relinquishing either for a Singapore citizenship, so no.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 7:10 am

banker wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote::???: Why are they two negatives? Second Gen PR's do NS and all PR's pay CPF as well.

You may wish to read revhappy's post again. He is comparing Citizenship & PR & non PR/Citizenship.

According to him, someone who took PR has already considered&accepted NS (for 2nd Gen) and CPF, these two are not deciding factors in choosing citizenship.

Mine was a rhetorical question as all the complaints on this forum seem to be about having to do NS when/if taking up PR (or their offspring). They all seem to think NS is a negative as well as having to put their money in CPF as, in all their supposed wisdom, they can do better on an equal risk basis.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 7:12 am

I love Monday morning trolls. Been a while since you've crawled out from under your rock, welcome back.

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Postby gravida » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 1:13 pm

The only problem with NS is that our country of origin does not allow their citizens to serve in other country's army. So, no matter if we are PRs or Sg Citizens (if they will accept double citizenships) - there is a problem with NS. I have no idea how to go about it, but well we do not have to worry about it right now (no son).
If double citizenship will be allowed I could consider taking it, but I will not give up my original one, as I still do not feel Singaporean, even though Singapore is my home now and most likely will be for a couple of more years.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Would you become a Singapore citizen if...

Postby Saint » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 2:11 pm

aster wrote:... you weren't required to relinquish your current citizenship?

At present you are required to denounce your current citizenship (and provide proof of doing so) before being granted your Singapore citizenship. What would you do if the laws changed and you no longer had to give up your current passport? :)

(I'm posting this here instead of the Relocating/Moving forum because this is just a hypothetical ("what if?" type) discussion)

Definitely

forumid123

Postby forumid123 » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 3:38 pm

I believe there is one problem NS that country of origin does not allow their citizens to serve in other country's army. I dont undertsand the reason why.. Do u guys have ne idea?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 3:50 pm

It depends on the country. You can serve in a foreign country's military if you have dual citizenship (US & something else) but the only codicil is that you cannot serve as a officer or in a military that is hostile to the US. I know Indonesia does not allow you to serve in another country's military and you could lose your Indo citizenship if you do (even if you are only PR - the 2nd Gen problem for Indonesian PR Parents with male PR offspring). I don't think that has been resolved even yet. And it's now about to change as long as wealthy Indonesian keep moving their wealth out of Indonesia and into Singapore. The Indo Gahmen knows it, so it isn't happy with Singapore. That's also why Singapore cannot get flight training space in Indonesia - been talked about for a long time but the same stumbling block of extradition keeps coming up.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Calmday » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 6:25 pm

revhappy wrote:Once you are a PR you have already taken into account NS and CPF withholding as the 2 negatives.

I have to ask again. What is so negative about NS?
As an ex military guy I dont understand people not wanting to serve the place that they call home.

To answer the original question. Of coarse I would become a citizen if given the chance and could keep my US citizenship. Even if it meant NS.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 8:50 pm

Calmday wrote:As an ex military guy I dont understand people not wanting to serve the place that they call home.

I wouldn't fancy being used as canon-fodder for a government whose Prime Minister too often and too easily says ditto to the US president. :x

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Calmday » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 9:55 pm

Plavt wrote:
Calmday wrote:As an ex military guy I dont understand people not wanting to serve the place that they call home.

I wouldn't fancy being used as canon-fodder for a government whose Prime Minister too often and too easily says ditto to the US president. :x
Then I’m assuming that since you disagree with the government and who the ally themselves with that you would NOT want to be a citizen of Singapore. NS is a non issue for you then.