Singapore Expats Forum

Stocks & shares where is technology moving

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Stocks & shares where is technology moving

Postby ksl » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 3:09 pm

Predicting the next boom market is not easy at all, though i have noticed that Bill Gates is out of the running these days and is to far behind to catch up!

I would like any idea's of where do you see the next bull.

I have identified with help, at least 3 companies that will run Microsoft out of the market.

Gone are that days of PC's in my opinion, Microsoft's bubble is burst.

The next level of innovation is in the super highway roll out of optical delivery world wide, far too fast for any processors of today, so you should be looking at up and coming companies software and hardware, that can deliver Microsoft cannot deliver and is losing market share to google and AOL, in the software packages that they offer for less than a 10th of Microsoft's prices.

Google is one of them, that is having a big effect on Microsoft I believe and will be prepared for the roll out of the optical challenge.

Arm technology in UK is also one to monitor though a little high just now, it will still burst the 2 pound level in the future and probably will be a prominent player in years to come.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 3:43 pm

I am working for the IT division for a large Investment bank, in microsoft technologies. When I was a newbie in IT I used to always try and anticipate when would the Hay days of IT be over and what would the next big thing be.

In 2000 after the Dot com bust almost everybody had written off IT completely. I clearly remember that students entering grad schools in 2001/02 had Comp Science and Information technology as their least favorite subject. People chose Mechanical Engg, Electrical Engg and even Civil Engg above IT. It was Biotechnology and BioInformatics that was thought to be the next big thing.

But almost 10 years forward and IT is still the best career choice you could have done.

Now when I look at the number of inefficiencies in the our bank and amount of money that the bank is losing mainly because we dont have the kind of systems that provides visibility across various departments and divisions, I am quite confident that IT is here to stay for a long long time.

I wouldn't write off Microsoft so soon. Especially in the Enterprise software market. They have come up with Microsoft Dynamics which is ERP for the mass market. Their latest database software sql server 2008 is really good and expected to make a dent into Oracle's market share. They have also improved their enterprise collaboration and document management software Microsoft sharepoint server which is going to be a big growth area for microsoft

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 4:49 pm

I wouldn't write off Microsoft so soon. Especially in the Enterprise software market. They have come up with Microsoft Dynamics which is ERP for the mass market. Their latest database software sql server 2008 is really good and expected to make a dent into Oracle's market share. They have also improved their enterprise collaboration and document management software Microsoft share point server which is going to be a big growth area for microsoft

Appreaciated, I agree Microsoft shouldn't be written off, though what i am saying is they have lost in the race to adapt for optical roll out, selling expensive software is becoming a thing of the past. Google and AOL are takeing the cream of Microsoft in the applications arena.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html

Microsoft fortunes are from all consumers, not just banks, I believe the larger piece of cake to be in consumer software for Microsoft in the past, so what i am saying is that google AOL are delivering consumer online packages, that have been whittling down Microsoft's hold on the market.

Bill Gates has retired the empire is crumbling and Microsoft are on a spiral in terms of revenue, which will eventually hit profits.

Those with the innovation to see the world roll out of optical delivery and speed for processors significantly on the same level has super computers, will be needed for the next stage, of innovation.

My belief is Microsoft may well have missed it's opportunity to lead the field, and is really a lagging antique, you only have to search online and you can purchase OEM software at 99$ for full package files, though you cannot register the product, these companies are supporting all patches and updates and it appears to be legal.

So the prices of Microsoft applications are getting hammered into the ground, he needs Microsoft anymore. That is not a company i would consider investing in for the next 10 years!

IT is not dead far from it, though nothing can be done without the backbone in place and the last mile to the door complete, and that stage is optical, which is expected to be launched in 2012 in Singapore.

My guess is, that a new phase of hardware and software is in the making, to suit the optical role out, these are the companies, that are involved in the next revolution of technology and Microsoft is lagging behind a very long way. No doubt we will also see better services to banks too in terms of security and cost effectiveness.

Microsoft share point is a little late off the starting line in my opinion! I read a really interesting document about the secrets that are being developed by leading search engines, that is going to blow Microsoft out of the water. Microsoft failed to get a piece of the google action back in 2003 and then came his retirement http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002278.html I'm speculating that he's all washed up and he knows it!

What i can visualise is more on the web working, and less software package sales, this will include also professional graphic design and other pro platforms through search engines, who have the reach to consumers, the sales done by local affiliates. Not good for the retail shops, however its cost effective all round with with better support I should imagine too!