Singapore Expats Forum

World War III

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dadelaw

World War III

Postby dadelaw » Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:22 pm

It seems likely tht WWIII will be declared within the next few years, with China and the US the chief protagonists.
Is Singapore safe under those circumstances? What is Singapore's position politically in such a dispute?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:20 am

:???: :roll:

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:59 am

before that, can you give me CNY toto Group 1 number since you can able to foresee WWIII

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Grumpy77 » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 5:18 pm

Not fear-mongering are we.... Where do you see the 'likely' part

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 8:55 pm

China would never bother entering into a war with America. The Chinese are too clever to fall for that one. Much easier to just step aside and watch them slowly tumble.

My money's on Iran vs Israel sparking a wider conflict, but I would hardly call it WWIII. If Iran had only asked, I would have set them up a Zippe centrifuge in a matter of months, free of charge. Then the real shit could hit the proverbial fan.
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

dadelaw

Postby dadelaw » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 9:00 pm

Grumpy77 wrote:Not fear-mongering are we.... Where do you see the 'likely' part

The United States will not accept the rise of China any more than Britain was prepared to tolerate "uppity" Germany at the beginning of the 20th Century.

That's just the way it is with superpowers whose hegemony is being usurped. Deny reality at your peril.

I'm still interested in knowing where Singapore stands in relation to superpwer conflict. Any opinions?

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 9:09 pm

dadelaw wrote:
The United States will not accept the rise of China any more than Britain was prepared to tolerate "uppity" Germany at the beginning of the 20th Century.

:? :roll:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 2:47 pm

An intelligent OP deserves an equally intelligent response.

Unif Green Tea with Honey

'nuff said Image

Edmund Teoh

Postby Edmund Teoh » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 3:57 pm

dadelaw wrote:
Grumpy77 wrote:Not fear-mongering are we.... Where do you see the 'likely' part

That's just the way it is with superpowers whose hegemony is being usurped. Deny reality at your peril.

I'm still interested in knowing where Singapore stands in relation to superpwer conflict. Any opinions?

Though not for the same reasons as what you're mentioning, I do believe conflict between the two can't be ruled out. It's just a question of how the leaders on both sides handle things. There are always people within on either side who would love to go kick the crap out of each other, as well as those who would be trying their best to prevent it from happening. Don't think it's fear mongering per se if you check all those reports that strategic think thanks are coming out with (like CSIS).

I think the only person who would know would be LKY. I think official-speak from what I've been reading is that Singapore would 'swing both ways' until that time actually comes. Though when the old man goes I wonder if policy makers here would be running around like headless chickens when it comes to who to side with...

Being ethnically Chinese I think I'd prefer to be in China when that time comes. I don't think Japanese-Americans were treated all that well during WWII. Just being realistic. Not really trying to offend.

Really cheerful topic btw!

mulatto
Regular
Regular

Postby mulatto » Wed, 27 Jan 2010 4:41 pm

I can imagine a similar Operation: Market-Garden, but with 100 million PLA soldiers being paradropped into Singapore...

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Calmday » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 6:21 pm

The US will be in a civil war (getting closer every day) before going to war with China. China and the US have become way to important to each others economies. That war would COMPLETLY wreck the economy of the world and every policy maker in the US and China knows that. Lose-lose scenario.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 7:43 pm

Well, I for one, welcome our Communist overlords...

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Sun, 07 Feb 2010 11:26 am

Of course, why mention WWIII when it pales in comparison to WW1V?

Particularly as the Romulans and Clingons are a constant thorn in the side of the Federation. But, I digress....

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sun, 07 Feb 2010 11:53 am

China declaring war on the US would be, these days, just another Civil War...... given the percentage of the US that China already owns.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Calmday » Sun, 07 Feb 2010 8:43 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:China declaring war on the US would be, these days, just another Civil War...... given the percentage of the US that China already owns.
I think that if you dug into just how much China owns you would be shocked.