Singapore Expats Forum

Anyone up for travelling during the Chinese New Year break?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
captaine

Anyone up for travelling during the Chinese New Year break?

Postby captaine » Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:02 am

Hi all,

Anyone up for a short 3-4 day trip (13-16th feb)? I'm open to any place near by ( like Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia etc).

The plan is not finalised yet but I need to confirm the plan soon.So whoever is interested, better get back to me soon!

cheers,
The Captaine!

adione
Regular
Regular

Postby adione » Wed, 20 Jan 2010 7:16 pm

we' re also looking for some short vacation but 'cos the CNY everything is already fully booked or double the original price :(

if you have any hints, let me know!

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:40 pm

CNY period also is Vietnam Tet
Hotel, airline is very very fully book

captaine

Postby captaine » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:49 am

I was checking the Jet Star deals to Bangkok and the return ticket is about $300 .But the travel dates need to be tweaked a little (11-18 Feb).Does that sound ok or is it expensive for a budget airline?

castaway

Postby castaway » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 1:39 pm

Yes, almost all flights to Hanoi, Vietnam is fully booked :cry: but it is the only place you can see how people prepare for CNY which calls Tet overthere.
Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people.

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

Postby JaanJ » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 2:31 pm

Long weekends are the peak periods. Almost everything - airfares, hotel rooms are costlier. Not only that, booking in advance is really required. Although CNY is 3 weeks aways, but air tickets are already flying off filling the seats to the max. Gotta be fast if you wanna travel during that week.

Good luck, guys :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 2:54 pm

AAhh. Tet, 1968. I was lucky. I missed it by two weeks! Left the NAM 2 weeks before Tet started. Probably saved my life.

But yeah, making reservations and trying to get flights now is about too late. Most everything will be booked solid, especially considering the economy seems to be turning around a wee bit. Lot's of pent up travel urges coming to the fore at the moment. That coupled with 13th month bonuses being paid this month......