Singapore Expats Forum

Have you been betrayed by your closest friend?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

adibahhhhhh

Postby adibahhhhhh » Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:02 pm

well said zodiac09!

and yes sweetie2980, do whatever the hell you want but dont let the relationship with your family go astray. try to somehow meet in the middle. if you can try whining to your mother about how crappy your past relationships with muslim men have been, perhaps she can see why you choose to live with this guy you're with now. all the best.

sweetie2980

Postby sweetie2980 » Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:38 am

Thanks guys for all the support. To keep you updated, I already got my visa on wednessday and everything going well now.

I came back home and explained to my parents and surprisingly they accepted my decision. I stood up to myself and made them understand this is my future. However they had set one rules which is similar to all the other malay muslim parents, that is....my fiance has to convert and abide to the islamic way of life. My mother wanted me to come back to malaysia as soon as possible once im allowed to travel and do a little wedding ceremony here. My fiance not willing to convert as a muslim but for the sake of my parents, he is willing to play along according to their wishes once we are in malaysia for the sake of keeping peace with everyone and me while we live the life that we choose in US.

All is well now, everyone in the family has been receptive. Me and my mother already start talking bout my flight journey and she even kept looking at my fiance pics (probably she just couldnt panthom how on earth she's end up with a caucasian son-in-law) :lol:

Previously i couldnt wait to leave my place but as time goes by i started to feel upset leaving everything behind...especially my best friend whom has always been there for me through bad and good times, all the yummy local food and my family :(

I have learned to appreciate all the things i been through before and people who has been there for me as you will never know whats gonna happen next.

Cheers everyone.....
from down south all the way to west coast california..blending the sugar and spice of asian world in the world of melting pots america

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:00 am

sweetie2980 wrote:Previously i couldnt wait to leave my place but as time goes by i started to feel upset leaving everything behind...especially my best friend whom has always been there for me through bad and good times, all the yummy local food and my family :(

I have learned to appreciate all the things i been through before and people who has been there for me as you will never know whats gonna happen next.

Cheers everyone.....

Good to hear it was possible to straighten the things up and I only hope you also learnt that lesson to have a bit of trust in your own parents and not leave things important to them to get from somebody else. All the best.

pills

Postby pills » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 1:19 am

great to hear that you're feeling better now.

all the best! =)

Peruvia

Postby Peruvia » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 4:00 pm

sweetie2980 wrote:Thanks guys for all the support. To keep you updated, I already got my visa on wednessday and everything going well now.

I came back home and explained to my parents and surprisingly they accepted my decision. I stood up to myself and made them understand this is my future. However they had set one rules which is similar to all the other malay muslim parents, that is....my fiance has to convert and abide to the islamic way of life. My mother wanted me to come back to malaysia as soon as possible once im allowed to travel and do a little wedding ceremony here. My fiance not willing to convert as a muslim but for the sake of my parents, he is willing to play along according to their wishes once we are in malaysia for the sake of keeping peace with everyone and me while we live the life that we choose in US.

All is well now, everyone in the family has been receptive. Me and my mother already start talking bout my flight journey and she even kept looking at my fiance pics (probably she just couldnt panthom how on earth she's end up with a caucasian son-in-law) :lol:

Previously i couldnt wait to leave my place but as time goes by i started to feel upset leaving everything behind...especially my best friend whom has always been there for me through bad and good times, all the yummy local food and my family :(

Cheers everyone.....

Good to hear that all's been ironed out.

Now.. Love your parents more, will ya?

sweetie2980

Postby sweetie2980 » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 2:54 pm

Peruvia wrote:
sweetie2980 wrote:Thanks guys for all the support. To keep you updated, I already got my visa on wednessday and everything going well now.

Cheers everyone.....

Good to hear that all's been ironed out.

Now.. Love your parents more, will ya?

Oh yeah....in fact i missed my mother alot since i left Malaysia. Now im in my new home in Upland, CA..it has been good for the past couple of weeks. However a week after i left my father passed away and i dint get the chance to go back home since im not in the position to be able to travel out of US because of the kind of visa im holding.

Its kinda sad cause the morning before i left my father already bedridden. I thought he's gonna hold out a little longer than what it supposed to be but he gone too soon. I used to hate my father alot for the past 29 years because of how poorly he treated me in the past...but as i saw him lying motionless as his health deteriorating couple of weeks before im flying...all my anger is gone. I have totally forgiven my father.

I have been calling my mother often now and each call that i made i never forget to say "i love you" which i never said it in person while i still living with my parents. While my sisters kept urging me for my fiance to convert soon...its funny that my fiance kept joking bout it mentioning that he will only convert if i will get the part of my inheritance from my late father. Oh well... :roll: i might not even get a dime!.. :lol:
from down south all the way to west coast california..blending the sugar and spice of asian world in the world of melting pots america