Singapore Expats

Expats with PR please standup :lol:

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Expats with PR please standup :lol:

Post by blue_thunder » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 7:13 am

I m in the process of collating my required documents for PR application.

What does this document mean ?

Testimonials from previous employer stating the nature and duration of employment and also the last drawn basic salary.

Do I have to get a testimonial from all my previous employers overseas/singapore with the details requested.
Or will a salary slip plus experience certificate suffice ?
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 8:50 am

I solved this one in the following manner.

I wrote my previous employer the following email:

Dear Bob,

I am applying to become a permanent resident of Singapore. Amongst the documentation they require is a 'testimonial stating the nature and duration of employment and also the last drawn basic salary'.

Below, I have described the nature of my work, my position title, duration, and my final salary. If you agree with this, would you please reply, with a copy of this email, with words to the effect: "The information as stated by Strong Eagle is correct", along with your name, title and contact number.
In working for the Frammis Flapjack Company, I held the position of Senior Procrastinator. I held this position from June, 1908, until July 2001. In this position, I advised the company as to how best to avoid doing any project that would actually accomplish anything. My final salary upon resigning from the company was US$ 3 million per month.

I sent this email (obviously with real job description), got a response, printed it out, and it was accepted without a peep.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 9:08 am

Unless it has changed, (remember I got my PR donkey's years ago), I think I only needed that kind of stuff for the previous 10 years. Back in those days most employers in the US didn't give out testimonials and such unless you passed a "milestone" as set by the individual HR departments. (e.g., 5/10/25 year awards.

SE methods is good, provided which the company is still in business or the other boss is still alive, etc, but I think for the most part a final payvoucher would suffice and maybe if necessary, your appointment letter. If you worked for a local boss, most will make up a "to whom it may concern" letter just by calling the HR department if they didn't give you one when you departed.

In my case, I was already in Singapore for 11 years when I got my PR so I only submitted documentation from those employers I worked for here in Asia.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Re: Expats with PR please standup :lol:

Post by x9200 » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 9:16 am

blue_thunder wrote:I m in the process of collating my required documents for PR application.
What does this document mean ?
Testimonials from previous employer stating the nature and duration of employment and also the last drawn basic salary.
Do I have to get a testimonial from all my previous employers overseas/singapore with the details requested.
Or will a salary slip plus experience certificate suffice ?
It may be sufficient but as with everything here it is on case by case bases. IIRC I asked the question about testimonials to ICA and got the answer: yes, all previous, yes, testimonials etc. but eventually included only last one it happened I already had and with no salary indication. No problems.