Singapore Expats Forum

Visa Options

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

fatfingers

Visa Options

Postby fatfingers » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 2:18 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a question about visa options for me with regard to staying in Singapore. I am currently travelling around the world but once I get back to the uk ( I hold a UK passport by the way) I am going to set up my own business. My girlfriend is in Singapore (she's a national) and I would like to go there once the business is up and running and see if I can extend the business into Singapore or start another one there. I'm a tad confused about the entry requirements on this issue. We can forget the Entrepreneur visa, I don't have half a million quid to invest. So what are my other options, assuming I have any? I appreciate any comments, well at least the helpful ones :-)

Cheers, FF

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 7:37 pm

The only guys who really know the answers are the Immigration Dept, and they ain't telling... :roll:

But to oversimplify a little, the way to get an Employment Pass in Singapore is to get a job offer. So if you want to work for yourself, the usual approach is to found the company, generate some revenue, and then apply for an EP for yourself. Obviously having Singaporean partners (or overseas, eg. Asia HQ of existing co), some cash to back this all up, and a decent business plan will increase your chances.