Singapore Expats

The mysterious dragonfruit

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

The mysterious dragonfruit

Post by ozchick » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 6:28 pm

I've tried googling but can't access info on how to choose a dragonfruit that's white inside rather than that deep red/purple colour.
Anyone know? I think they taste the same but the colour of the purple one spreads its colour through any fruit that's mixed with it.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:04 pm

The dragonfruit that have red flesh are also all red on the outside as well if I remember correctly. Only the white fleshed ones are green & red. At least that's the difference I've noticed when buying. I don't like the red fleshed ones as they are too messy and you are right, the red juice tends to dye everything it touches.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 5:46 pm

I find the white ones are a bit longer with longer "spikes" too whereas the purple/red ones are more rounder and have shorter spikes. Usually the type of dragon fruit is labelled...? I much prefer the red/purple ones though i agree it can be disastrous on clothing

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 8:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't like the red fleshed ones as they are too messy and you are right, the red juice tends to dye everything it touches.

I'm always right sms- but you know that don't you?! :wink:

Thanks sms and Macaroonie, gonna put my new "tutti-fruity" selection skills to the test! Thank you!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 8:53 pm

[-X :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:17 am

According to my local greengrocer/fruitseller it is difficult to tell them apart, but as they are different varieties the place you buy them from should know.

Very true . . . the red ones make a fruit salad Simply Red (and mushy)

'nuff said Image

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular

Post by mondaymorningquarterback » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 2:29 pm

I cant tell them apart. They usually come in white inside. They will label it when its red because its sort of a novelty here.

Return to “General Discussions”