Singapore Expats Forum

Do you remove lint from the Tumble Dryer

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Do you remove lint from the Tumble Dryer

Postby carteki » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:37 pm

How many of you out there know that when you use a tumble dryer that you need to clean out the lint after it has been used (or before the next load)?

I thought that this was something that was basic knowledge - but a sucession of housemates (from cold climates where tumble dryers are in use) has proved otherwise. Just wanting to know whether or not it is usual to remove the lint from the tumble dryer - or is it another outdated fad.

(We won't ask the other question as to why they feel the need to tumble dry stuff when the temp is 30'C+ and the a/c is on!)

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 3:29 pm

I remove the lint from that slider thing after every wash.

And YES we do use the dryer for bed linen and towels so it's softer (YES i have a delicate bottom)
Just me

DazzleBabe

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 4:47 pm

Ours wont work after the lint romeval alarm goes off.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 5:01 pm

QRM wrote:Ours wont work after the lint romeval alarm goes off.

Sounds like I need one of those :wink:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 5:21 pm

Yes, every single time. Two or three times a year I take the trap out and vacuum out the excess lint from inside the works. I thought this was Basic Dryer Knowledge: 101. :roll:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 9:38 pm

No need to do it every load, just now and then, it take a while for it to build up!

How not to use Microwaves! Or a tumble dryer

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/microwavedpet.asp

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:05 pm

ksl wrote:No need to do it every load, just now and then, it take a while for it to build up!

Should indeed clean the lint filter every load. The lint build up reduces air flow, which in turn increases drying time and electricity costs, ie, the efficiency of the dryer is reduced.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:56 pm

Yeah, one load of fluffy towels will load the lint filter right up. After every load it you want any mileage out of your dryer. That's why it's right in the front when you open the door - convenience!

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 5:52 am

Exactly right SE & SMS, and there is the added consideration: why would you get out of the habit of doing it each time? There is no upside there, just the potential for disaster. The exhaust hose should be cleaned out once a quarter as well. In the States we have a family of wrens who love to build there nest is there. We finally found an end-cap device that keeps them out, but it took several tries.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 1:06 pm

oooh the exhaust hose. How do you clean that? Never cleaned that since Day 1!
Just me

DazzleBabe

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 5:36 pm

You disconnect is, vacuum it out or rinse it out then reconnect it, piece of cake.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:28 am

Seems easy enough... now just getting round to actually doing it as the dryer is backed into a narrow room and taking the hose out means pulling the dryer and washing machine out!
Just me

DazzleBabe

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bluenose » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:00 am

One of the biggest fire hazards on the dryers....is the lint not having been removed!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:39 am

bluenose wrote:One of the biggest fire hazards on the dryers....is the lint not having been removed!

I plead guilty. I never cleaned my exhaust hose for 10 years... and... no fire.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 1:35 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
ksl wrote:No need to do it every load, just now and then, it take a while for it to build up!

Should indeed clean the lint filter every load. The lint build up reduces air flow, which in turn increases drying time and electricity costs, ie, the efficiency of the dryer is reduced.
I can see a little over exaggeration here, and only a scrooge wood clean a lint every time it was used but you are right SE it would take longer to dry the clothes.

There isn't that much electricity used, the parts are all mechanical and there are two sensors fitted, to pick up any obstruction of air flow. So yes I will agree that you are right, though i doubt very much you would clean it after every tumble :lol: :P

Totally insignificant in terms of cost efficiency for most people, even poor people. Most would follow the provided manual and use a bit of commonsense about what is being dried and check the filter each time not clean it and with experience you would know which materials clog up the lint anyway.

To clean it after every use, is not practical at all and i doubt very much it would show any difference on the electric bill because odds are if they are slightly damp, you would iron them dry.

Though in theory you are right in practise and convenances V's! time effort and $ saving money on electric bill pointless i think, I certainly wouldn't just over run the time to ensure they are 100% dry.

It doesn't use more electric, what happens is the airway gets blocked and it over heats it delivers the same amount of electricity to the machine, measured in watts but your clothes are not as dry as they should be, and if that happens you check the filter.

The electric doesn't work harder but it may take longer to dry. Though you should know that your filter needs cleaning, they would still be dry enough for ironing anyway. So I do not agree with your theory that it uses more electric, because the filter is clogging over a set time frame.

The machine itself is more mechanical than electrical
They also have two sensors that work within a temperature range, sorry but again mountains out of mole hills you only check the filter after every session not clean it, you clean it if it needs cleaning

I'll bet people don't clean their airfilters every day on their motorcycles or cars so that they improve their burning consumption.
:P

http://home.howstuffworks.com/dryer.htm

I think the debate is quite interesting, because many people will also argue
the fact, that all electrical appliances should be turned off to save electricity. Others say to leave them on to save money in the long run.

The reason is that a surge of electricity weakens the parts of the appliance and a continuous flow doesn't, so you save money on repairs. what is your answer to that?

I must admit I was trained very well in cleaning my weapon every time i used it :wink: