Singapore Expats Forum

UAE Justice ? What a joke !

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

zodiac09
Regular
Regular

UAE Justice ? What a joke !

Postby zodiac09 » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 5:25 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8450722.stm

So Sheikh Issa [preseident's brother] has been cleared of attempted murder - not to mention filming the brutal torture of an ex-business partner ??

what a laughable excuse for justice in that country !!!!!

If you haven't already seen the diabolical video, just have a look. How any court can accept that this devil [who is actually heard on the video, telling the cameraman to get in close so he can "watch it later"] was innocent, is another nail in the coffin of the justice system in UAE. and this country is supposed to be one of the better ones....... !!!

geeeeez. I dont see any muslim brothers shouting about that ?

I'm glad I live here ;o}

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:10 am

another nail in the coffin of the justice system in UAE

You are presuming that the justice system pretty much anywhere in the Middle East had any credence anyway . . .

These countries are feudal systems, run by iron-fisted despots . . .

'nuff said Image

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:14 am

Here's another little ditty:

[quote]A British woman who alleged that she was raped in Dubai on New Year’s Eve has had her passport confiscated and may face a jail sentence after she was charged with having sex outside marriage with her fiancé.

The 23-year-old woman, a Muslim from London, of Pakistani origin, said that she was attacked by a man who is understood to be a worker in the hotel where she had been drinking with her fiancé to celebrate their engagement during a three-day holiday in Dubai.

When she reported to the police that she had been raped, she and her partner, 44, were themselves jailed for sex outside marriage, which is illegal under the emirate’s laws. Unmarried couples are not allowed to share hotel rooms or live together, although many establishments turn a blind eye. The couple were also charged with being drunk outside licensed premises.
The alleged assault on the woman took place at the upmarket Address Hotel in the Dubai Marina district.
Related Links

After drinking heavily to celebrate the marriage proposal that evening, the woman passed out in the toilets, where she says that she was followed by a member of staff and attacked. It is unclear if the alleged rape is being investigated by police. The woman’s alleged attacker has denied rape and has claimed that sex was consensual. He has also been charged with illegal sex outside marriage.
A spokesperson for the Address declined to comment yesterday. Dubai police also declined to comment.
The woman’s fiancé was unaware of the incident and took her home, but when she recalled the attack the next morning they went to the police.
It is reported that the police focused on the woman’s drinking and her sexual preferences. It is claimed that standard procedures in alleged rape cases were not followed, although legal sources in Dubai dispute this. A blood test proved that the woman had been drinking. The couple were arrested, charged and jailed overnight. They have been released on bail and their passports have been taken away.
The woman has been advised to drop the rape allegation, admit that she was drunk and marry her fiancé immediately if she wants to go home. She told The Sun: “I always dreamed of a big family wedding in Britain, but now I just want to get married so I can get out of here.”

'nuff said Image

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:40 am

Or being jailed for four years for having a speck of marijuana on the BOTTOM of your shoe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/1 ... 17874.html

Great place... not.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:59 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
another nail in the coffin of the justice system in UAE

You are presuming that the justice system pretty much anywhere in the Middle East had any credence anyway . . .

These countries are feudal systems, run by iron-fisted despots . . .

More like medieval...

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 3:14 pm

How can you say that? These are the countries aiding in the great war on terror. Their justice system is impeccable. They are above and beyond any reproach. In fact, Saudi is the most progressive nation of all despite no rights for women, no democracy, and the fact that most of the 9/11 hijackers came from this wonderful country. ** If I write anymore I will puke into my keyboard **

The rulers of UAE live by a different code. The western powers or for that matter any power should be embarrassed to associate themselves to these barbarians. They should focus on getting these allies to become democratic before making invaded nations toe the democracy line. Typical hypocracy of the so called first world powers for whom deal with the devil is only to suit their economic purpose. I mean, really! Do you think the powersto be have the f***king balls to tell the Saudi's to put up, shut up and get with reforms and democracy? The freaking Saudi's will cut off oil supply and then we will only see anarchy and more chaos. Pity! that there is no room for common sense and sense of justice.

There is no need to feel offended or riled because nothing is going to change. We can lament the situation but unless a concrete intervention takes place..........

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:06 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Or being jailed for four years for having a speck of marijuana on the BOTTOM of your shoe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/1 ... 17874.html

Great place... not.

Things may not be as cut and dried as they appear.

At first customs officers found nothing, but then a roll-up cigarette was spotted caught in the tread of his shoe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7234786.stm

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:05 am

guruvishwanath wrote: The freaking Saudi's will cut off oil supply and then we will only see anarchy and more chaos. Pity! that there is no room for common sense and sense of justice.

There is no need to feel offended or riled because nothing is going to change. We can lament the situation but unless a concrete intervention takes place..........

One would think that to keep the world from falling into anarchy and chaos the western powers didn't invade Saudi . . . But why concentrate solely on the west? Is India not an importer of oil from the Middle East, and therefore supporting the despotic regimes.

Cry out against the evil west when it does something and cry out against the evil west when it doesn't. Is this another example of 'the white man's burden'?

As for the rest of your post . . . spot on

Plavt, I was referring to the drunk woman passed out in the toilets as not being a cut and dried case

'nuff said Image

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:00 pm

The western powers or for that matter any power should be embarrassed

:-)) I knew someone will raise that, which I why I did include anyone into the frame of rant. :-)

You are right. India does import oil from ME. Especially since we are building a pipeline directly to Iran. That can of worms has been opened and as much as I love my country, I still think the foreign policy is managed by a bunch of glue sniffing reprobates.

My argument was that if nations take a stand against a regime of anykind, then they should hold the same bench mark for others. I would not have given a rats ass if USA/UK and others had started and remained in Afghanistan and cleaned it up. Then they, with UN mandate of course, should have flexed their collective muscles and said "Ship up or we are coming for you". In which case, I dont think there would be any argument. Despotic regimes will have to do something about it or remain isolated, marginalized.

I recall this awesome interview with an Arab sheik. Sitting in his very opulent home, with the image of Gandhi, Martin Luther King, this person was effusive and articulate in how image and perception of Islam has been ruined and how it needs to be moved on and how education, science is important and how faith has been mucked up by a few crazies and how he admires music especially Mozart and Beethoven for its harmony, symphony. It was in Arabic (subtitled in English) and his responses were pointed, poignant and very valid. I am trying to trawl my links to find it and when I do, I will post it here.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 3:10 pm

As we are speaking of double standards, guru......

The US has expressed their concern about the guy getting off . . . Hooray for the Good Guys

. . . meanwhile back at the ranch, the US justice system has dropped charges or found not guilty (can't remember which one) against a group of Blackwater operatives who gunned down a bunch of people.

(I'll find the link if anyone wishes)

Double standards for tea?

'nuff said Image

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 2:56 am

Vaucluse wrote: . . . meanwhile back at the ranch, the US justice system has dropped charges or found not guilty (can't remember which one) against a group of Blackwater operatives who gunned down a bunch of people.

in a war zone, when under fire :roll: Doesn;t neccesarily justify their actions but hardly comparable to the OP's case.

DO you really want to open the double standards "can" in Singapore. I mean really ??

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 6:48 am

bigfilsing wrote:in a war zone, when under fire :roll: Doesn;t neccesarily justify their actions but hardly comparable to the OP's case.

They were under investigation for the shooting of innocent civilians.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 7:06 am

Yeah, Mai Lai revisited.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:00 am

bigfilsing wrote:
Vaucluse wrote: . . . meanwhile back at the ranch, the US justice system has dropped charges or found not guilty (can't remember which one) against a group of Blackwater operatives who gunned down a bunch of people.

in a war zone, when under fire :roll: Doesn;t neccesarily justify their actions but hardly comparable to the OP's case.

DO you really want to open the double standards "can" in Singapore. I mean really ??

I can't believe you open your mouth, tap the keys, without thinking ALL the time:

They were under investigation for the shooting of innocent civilians.

Yeah, Mai Lai revisited.

And this has to do with Singapore . . . HOW?

I really believe this photo was made specifically with you in mind in your haste to try to find fault in any posts I make . . . my advice: choose wisely as I do make mistakes, just not there where you look

'nuff said Image

zodiac09
Regular
Regular

Postby zodiac09 » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 3:47 pm

How the hell you can compare a group of soldiers in a war-zone, who have gunned down innocent civilians, to some fkd-up @rab despot, who thinks he is soooo above the law in his own country, that he can torture [and let's face it folks, there aint NO other word for it] for hours [yup... not just a shot, but a prolonged, premeditated and ultimately evil act] a person with whom he'd felt wronged ???

Tell me ???? HOW ????????????

How on god's/ allah's [and for pities sake, don't start flaming me that THAT little quip] green earth can he call himself muslim ? Other peaceable muslims must be absolutely abhorent to be associated with devils like him .....?