Singapore Expats Forum

Having a Baby in Auspicious Year?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Having a Baby in Auspicious Year?

Postby cbavasi » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 8:05 am

Ok... so I know about having a c-section on an auspicious date and even a specific time... but recently I've noticed comments about having a baby during a certain year. I was having a polite conversation with a shopgirl about the new year and asking if she had any resolutions. She said "to have a baby in 2010"... turns out she's not married, doesn't have a boyfriend - but told me that if she has a baby (GIRL) in the year of the Tiger that would be compatible with her birth year ( :o )
So yesterday I'm reading a silly article about some local actor and this line appears: "He says although he likes a big family, after discussing with his wife, they've decided to withhold a second child until the Dragon Year (2012)"...
Is this really that common? I've started to ask more local people I know and they have different opinions... but then I've started to hear even more obscure things... like you shouldn't have a girl during the year of the Tiger b/c she'll be aggressive... you shouldn't have your baby in the evening b/c it'll be sleepy.... etc.
Just curious if anyone else has some insight on this....

x9200

Postby x9200 » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 8:35 am

Whatever happens, most importantly avoid any contact with water during the 30days long confinement period. If this is in place all the zodiac rituals and superstitions should not really be a surprise.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 8:48 am

Why no water during the first 30 days?

x9200

Postby x9200 » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 9:46 am

cbavasi wrote:Why no water during the first 30 days?

It is believed to have a negative impact on the mother's health by affecting the discharge of "unclean matter" from the womb so she may develop different damages to her internal organs resulting in things like joint pains etc. :?

cheesecake69

Postby cheesecake69 » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:25 am

My second child was born at noon - and she likes to eat... It might cost us a lot in the future. So don't get a child at noon if you don't want to spend so much money for food... :)