Singapore Expats Forum

Will you retire in singapore with your family?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 9:21 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
:cry: at least you all can leave

whereas as I am a local have to continue living here .

:oops:

I am a local too but I do not feel tied down in this part of the world. Do explain more why you feel that way?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 9:25 am

john2010 wrote:no, I view it a little different: locals know all the best places, have a feel for the community, and can recommend better than most anyone else. it's only a part of the decision, though.

I daresay most don't know any more than I do. I own an HDB flat, I've been here 27 years, my kids (2) went through the local school system, I've owned cars here and not. I'm a member of the local resident's committee for the People's Association and I work for a local SME. However, I worked as an Adult for 20 years in the US before coming over here. I also have property in the US as well as here. The property here, like irvine mentions, is an HDB flat which I hate, but it's cheaper than paying rent as it's actually making me money when I bail out of here (it was also a resale flat).

From my personal POV? Singapore is a great place to earn money, it's a safe place to raise kids (please note I said safe, not great), but one CANNOT RELAX in Singapore. EVER. So why would anybody want to retire in a place where there is noise CONSTANTLY. A place where, even on a clear night, you cannot see the milky way and what you think are stars (the few you can actually see) are actually just low orbit satellites.

Of course, I'm a country boy, born & bred, so cities aren't for me. So, for you it may work. :wink:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 9:27 am

Singapore really made it convenient to work here. You can easily get to work and easily access facilities that will make working here easier. However, when reaching retirement, one's priorities (and needs) change and a lot of things that make it convenient for working, doesn't make it conducive for retiring. Some people already know this will happen to them and have looked ahead what they want in their career twilight. I think a lot of expats and to some extent, some locals, share this point of view.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 9:36 am

local lad wrote:I am a local too but I do not feel tied down in this part of the world. Do explain more why you feel that way?

local lad,

While the government tries it's best to cookie cutter worker drones through the educational system, unfortunately, like the O level scheme and other failed genetic engineering plans of the government in the past, there are always those who are like cream and tend to rise to the top. It's those usually who have the "other" options, like immigrating to other countries. The bulk of the population does not and cannot even entertain the thought as they would still have to get through another countries immigration procedures. Of course they could migrate to Malaysia or India or other 3rd world countries but that would be a bit of a step down, eh?

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Postby SGBoyxxx » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:48 am

local lad wrote:
SGBoyxxx wrote:
:cry: at least you all can leave

whereas as I am a local have to continue living here .

:oops:

I am a local too but I do not feel tied down in this part of the world. Do explain more why you feel that way?

I don;t like the way we work here..

we work for life ..is not the another way round

we live to work lol I am don;t know I get it correct.

Ya some mention is true .In singapore you cannot be slack .

mrHomeLook

Postby mrHomeLook » Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:52 am

some like it here while others dont. it all depends what u have planned for your retirement. i know of others who travel from place to place and never settle in one country. i suppose singapore is not the ideal place to retire but nonetheless, its not exactly the worst place in the world.
MR HomeLook

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ev-disinfection » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 4:06 pm

john2010 wrote:sure would be great to retire here! ...although, I'd want more of a local's opinion and experience to know what to expect...

John 20:10 (New International Version)

"Then the disciples went back to their homes,"
Hope not all Johns think alike..

I have lived in Thailand for 9 months, Indonesia for 1.5 years.
My dad used to live in Australia when he was younger, he didn't like the names he used to be called.

Of course, every country, culture is different, to everyone.
Where ever you decide to retire, even in your own country, you will have to compromise, have tolerance and acceptance.
and different times in that country, will have different outcomes.
Example, what if a bad government takes control of the country, or the changes to the law, or the new neighbors, or a natural disaster,
Basically, what i mean is the choices you make today might and will change... for change is the only constant.

My thoughts for now is that I will retire here, as a first class citizen.
Where the government is stable, no natural disaster, low corruption, low crime, some bad drivers, that we all laugh at..... etc...

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Postby SGBoyxxx » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 1:09 am

:oops: WELL for me...

ya ...recently happen to visit batam...

gee you all must be laughing till now I have the chance to go...

after visiting neighbourhood countries well

I feel singapore is a better place to stay..lol
now I taking back my words???

Aust wise...I only been to a town ..call rockhampton during my ns days

well is quiet...peaceful...not bad..but night life is seem boring

well maybe is a small town .Is the same happen in most big countries

well I guess...only city areas will be more busy and nightlife is better.

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:45 am

I could see myself setting down in Singapore, especially if I was to travel a lot. I can also see myself chilling out in Sydney, southern England (Bournemouth/Poole area), Seattle or Samui.

Singapore would be a good base if the road to citizenship did not involve blowing up bridges behind you.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:59 am

aster wrote:Singapore would be a good base if the road to citizenship did not involve blowing up bridges behind you.

One of the best metaphors I've heard in a long while.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:20 pm

aster wrote:Singapore would be a good base if the road to citizenship did not involve blowing up bridges behind you.

Brilliant way of putting it :P
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ev-disinfection » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 9:40 pm

Hey Aster, do you happen to be British?

I think many Expats would love Singapore back in the days of old......
when this island was like this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvhY6DtfZs
Remember these times....SMS?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:12 pm

Nope, can't say that I do. :P 1938 is a wee bit before my time, but I've seen that clip some time ago. I've only been here once in 1968 (and it was still similar to the clip then) and then from '82 to now.

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 2:31 am

ev-disinfection wrote:

Hey Aster, do you happen to be British?

I think many Expats would love Singapore back in the days of old......
when this island was like this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvhY6DtfZs
Remember these times....SMS?

I remember hitting rock against rock to get a fire started, or putting my younger brother on lookout in case a T-Rex decided to poke his nose into our cave, but ever since they invented beer in the Neolithic age my life has been a bit of a blur...

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 2:32 am

aster wrote:I could see myself setting down in Singapore, especially if I was to travel a lot. I can also see myself chilling out in Sydney, southern England (Bournemouth/Poole area), Seattle or Samui.

Singapore would be a good base if the road to citizenship did not involve blowing up bridges behind you.

Samui.... of all places.

I am afraid quite a few people here are suffering from tunnel vision.

The world is bigger than Singapore, hell, it's even bigger than SE Asia. Oh my God!!!!!!

It's even bigger than Asia! :shock:

Even if they would offer me 1 million Euros a year (let's not talk in Singapore ringgits), I would not wanna retire in Singapore.

I don't think many retirees would chose to live in an overcrowded place with rigidness being the way of life, being squeezed like oranges, the government hungry for your juices (excuse me).

Only a die hard Indonesian billionaire, caught in a shopping frenzy of his 21 year old Singapore fiancee might do so.

Got nothing to do with burning bridges behind you, but with the rigidness in front of you.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso