Singapore Expats Forum

Will you retire in singapore with your family?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Will you retire in singapore with your family?

Postby SGBoyxxx » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 1:26 am

after contracts end will you leave singapore?

or will be still working here till retirement and stay here with your family along?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 6:58 am

Working till retirement but after that, no way in hell would I stay here in this dog forsaken mercenary country where people are only something to be used and tossed aside when all the juices are squeezed out. :mad:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:25 pm

SMS enjoying a good night out:

SMS after a good night out and contributing to SEXpats:

:)

There are certainly pros and cons to retiring in Singapore . . . as there are for every country, but the one con I can see is the emphasis on buildings and nothing but progress.
Compare this with being able to retire on the coast or the mountains in Oz or the US . . . of course retiring in India or the UK would be another story

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 1:03 pm

That'll work! :cool:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 1:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That'll work! :cool:

I find this the appropriate time to tell you that I do very much admire and appreciate the way you accept a bit of humour and and a good verbal stoush! Wish every mod everywhere were like you.

Having said that . . . wait until I next have a dig at you!!!! Problem is that you don't give me a lot of ammo and leave it to Bigfilsing to leave himself wide open to showing what a prat he is.

'nuff said Image

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 3:26 pm

Retirement place for me is somewhere I can enjoy space, nature, and grow my own vegetables... and maybe rear some chickens too ;) .... and to go through for days without having to spend money... and able to spend time with family members who are not too stressed out, that they're able to take time out to enjoy quality time with their old folks...

So to answer your question... unless Singapore offers what I'd like, the answer is no.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 4:01 pm

irvine wrote:... and maybe rear some chickens too ;) ....

You know, in some cities you can be arrested for that! :o

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Postby SGBoyxxx » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 5:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Working till retirement but after that, no way in hell would I stay here in this dog forsaken mercenary country where people are only something to be used and tossed aside when all the juices are squeezed out. :mad:

:cry: at least you all can leave

whereas as I am a local have to continue living here .

:oops:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 5:18 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Working till retirement but after that, no way in hell would I stay here in this dog forsaken mercenary country where people are only something to be used and tossed aside when all the juices are squeezed out. :mad:

Is this the same sentiment from the other Singaporeans who have emigrated?

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Postby SGBoyxxx » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:38 pm

nakatago wrote:
SGBoyxxx wrote:

Is this the same sentiment from the other Singaporeans who have emigrated?

those who are living is party due to , they are studying oversea .
Stay there and find the place is good so will stay there.

Another group is those working there .

Ya most of them just PR there never give up citizenship.
But mostly those are emigrate are well to do.

john2010

Postby john2010 » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 4:16 am

sure would be great to retire here! ...although, I'd want more of a local's opinion and experience to know what to expect...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 6:59 am

Why as the average local? don't you think that their view may or may not be biased? If they have never lived anywhere else (like SGBoyxxx for instance) they may not have a comparison to make so therefore their opinion would be skewed due to lack of data.

john2010

Postby john2010 » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 8:43 am

no, I view it a little different: locals know all the best places, have a feel for the community, and can recommend better than most anyone else. it's only a part of the decision, though.

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 9:13 am

John2010, yes the locals may give you their point of view. But it is still based on their point of view. Values and beliefs may be different from you and where you come from.

One example, I was chatting with my local colleagues about buying a HDB here and how it's hard to be lucky in the balloting for the BTO new flats... they suggested buying a resale... To which I said it may be a lot more expensive. So they suggested how about a 3-room rectangular resale flat?

Where I grew up, my family and I live in a house with LAND all around it. So for us, the optimal purchase is a 4 or 5 room BTO new flats here. Although ideally it'd be nicer to live in a landed house here.

Same thing for the community. Many locals like it where it's convenient on buses, mrt, supermarket, school, etc. For me, I would hate to be in the central of these things. So again, the difference in point of view.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 9:16 am

What the best places? For locals? For foreigners? And do you really expect such places (regardless) exist that can help you to make the decision after you already have stayed in Singapore for 5 or more years?