Singapore Expats Forum

Keeping a maids Passport

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cheesecake69

Keeping a maids Passport

Postby cheesecake69 » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:24 am

Is it allowed in Singapore to keep a maids passport?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Keeping a maids Passport

Postby ksl » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:33 am

cheesecake69 wrote:Is it allowed in Singapore to keep a maids passport?
Of course it is not! But you are allowed to look after it, there is a difference if she want's you too, though she is responible for it! Maid contracts may say different, though that is pure assumption in my opinion.
Passports are the property of the Country one is born in, and does not belong to the holder and as far as i know, it is illegal to handover your passport to a 3rd party as security like an hotel or any other 3rd party! Correct me if i'm wrong I'm pretty sure the British passport regs stipulates it. Other Countries I'm not sure about though our maid asked us to look after hers, It appears to be the norm here

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 7:54 am

I inquired at the ICA last year during my helper's permit renewal process b/c I was having a debate with a friend over whether you were supposed to hold onto it (her agency said the employer was to keep the passport - I didn't think this was right)... anyhow - they told me the passport was to remain in the FDW's possession.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:56 am

cbavasi wrote:I inquired at the ICA last year during my helper's permit renewal process b/c I was having a debate with a friend over whether you were supposed to hold onto it (her agency said the employer was to keep the passport - I didn't think this was right)... anyhow - they told me the passport was to remain in the FDW's possession.

Correct. The passport belongs to the bearer and the issuing authority.

Our maid wants us to keep it in our safe and takes it with her on her Sundays off i case she gets checked . . . despite having a FDW IC

'nuff said Image

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:03 pm

I would also think some unscrupulous employers would sell them on the blackmarket, that is also one reason why the maid should keep her passport or report it taken away from her to the police.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:14 pm

Not sure how prevalent hat would be in Singapore, ksl, but certainly a possibility.

It's all a control-issue, though, isn't it.

Very good friends of ours took on a Filipina maid a few months ago, she had been here illegally for two years. They spent 6k on making her 'legal' . . . two days after she received her papers she disappeared, just walked away very early in the morning . . . but she left her passport there.

She called our maid/nanny a few days ago as everyone was trying to contact her to ensure she wasn't kidnapped or in jail. This dunce just said she was ok and hung up.
She has five children back in Flippieland . . . and now no job, no passport, left most of her clothes etc....

Weird people

'nuff said Image

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:51 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Not sure how prevalent hat would be in Singapore, ksl, but certainly a possibility.

It's all a control-issue, though, isn't it.

Very good friends of ours took on a Filipina maid a few months ago, she had been here illegally for two years. They spent 6k on making her 'legal' . . . two days after she received her papers she disappeared, just walked away very early in the morning . . . but she left her passport there.

She called our maid/nanny a few days ago as everyone was trying to contact her to ensure she wasn't kidnapped or in jail. This dunce just said she was ok and hung up.
She has five children back in Flippieland . . . and now no job, no passport, left most of her clothes etc....

Weird people
Yes there are many desperate people around!
This dunce just said she was ok and hung up.
Immigrants in many cases are opportunists, for a better life, many turn to prostitution and go into hiding. In UK there was many Chinese in hiding and they destroy their passports to prolong the risk of being returned to their home Countries.

It's unfortunate circumstance that make people do irrational things i guess, to get a better life! I have been approached by unscrupulous people in my home city 10 years ago, so i know they are around.

Singapore does have a very active criminal element working Geylang, maids have been lured by jobs, only to have their passports taken away and forced into prostitution there was an incident several months ago.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 1:20 pm

Sad, isn't it . . .

'nuff said Image