Singapore Expats Forum

Student pass rejection appeal: info and/or agent wanted!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
londontosingapore

Student pass rejection appeal: info and/or agent wanted!

Postby londontosingapore » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 2:55 pm

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and can't understand why.

In a nutshell, my daughter had to apply for a Student Pass to attend pre-nursery (I am on a LTVP to seek employment so she's not eligible for a Dependent Pass).

The nursery (Odyssey) when I spoke to them before we moved said it would be fine and a straightforward procedure. I also looked on the website and it seemed that we should be eligible.

However, the application got rejected for some reason.

I have been advised to Appeal but it is difficult when we don't even know the basis of the rejection. Furthermore, there don't even appear to be any guidelines on what an Appeal should consist of. All we have been told is to turn up to ICA and present our documents (but documents showing what???)

I would be extremely grateful if:

(1) anyone has any knowledge/experience of a Student Pass application/appeals process could share their information with me so that we can be better prepared

(2) I also understand there are agents that help with visa applications and if anyone can recommend a good agent then that might also be a good way forward to navigate what I thought was supposed to be a transparent system!

Many thanks in advance.

M.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 3:04 pm

Is it only you and your daughter here?

londontosingapore

Postby londontosingapore » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 3:10 pm

No - my wife is here as well.

The plan was for all of us to move as a family. While I look for a job, my daughter would attend nursery (on the Student Pass) and my wife would be her Guardian.

We viewed this as the best stop-gap solution until I get an Employment Pass (and failing that we would go to HK where I have PR).

Unfortunately it turns out that the nursery has no experience in applying for a Student Pass (contrary to what they told me when we chose them).....so we're winging it solo...

M.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 3:31 pm

I think this might be a stumbling block?

"For the application of a Student’s Pass, an applicant must be
accepted into an approved full-time course. An applicant who
wishes to take up a part-time course or a course conducted in
the evening or weekend will NOT be eligible for Student’s Pass."

londontosingapore

Postby londontosingapore » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 4:58 pm

I don't think it should be...that is I assume that the nursery would have mentioned that at the outset?

As it is, my daughter is attending the nursery 5 days full-time, and the nursery was able to get a SOLAR+ application number for the course...

...one would assume that the nursery programme is eligible for the Student Pass as otherwise the nursery would not have inititated the application??

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 6:05 pm

Check if the nursery is registered with the MOE or licensed by MCYS as that is a requirement. Like you though, I don't know how they could use SOLAR without being registered. I would be inclined to make an appointment at ICA and go and talk to them before you submit an appeal. It may be something quite trivial like a missing form or piece of information that got it rejected before. How old is your child? That may also have a bearing.