Singapore Expats Forum

Employment Pass Rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ashok.byahut

Employment Pass Rejected

Postby ashok.byahut » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 1:16 pm

I accepted an offer from one of the major investment bank (MNC) in Singapore but my P1 pass was rejected.

I am citizen of nepal and graduated from Inida in BE (information science and engineering) from VTU, Bangalore. Its a reputed technical university in India. I have total 5 yrs of work-ex in IT and have been working in major investment banks in India for past 3 years. I have been offered S$7500 / month from my new employer.

Today I came to know that my EP was rejected. I qualify all the requirements of P1 pass but still my EP was rejected. When I contacted my HR about the rejection reason, they told that no reason was provided but they said that they will appeal for rejection. I was asked to provide my experience letters from my all previous employers( total 4) and updated resume.

Can you please help me out nailing the reject reason? Is anything can be done from my side to find out the reason and re-apply it so that the chances of approval is high? Is it advisable to visit MOM office personally from Nepal? What are the chances of getting it approved in appeal?

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 3:15 pm

Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 5:23 pm

Any past/current problems with authorities in SG or abroad?

ashok.byahut

Postby ashok.byahut » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 5:37 pm

nope, I did not have any problem with singapore or any other authorities.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 6:21 pm

Does the employer have other EP holders currently employed? Is it a start up company? Often the MOM will take a let's wait and see if the company has any staying power first.

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Postby xtasy010 » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 6:34 pm

Does the employer have other EP holders currently employed? Is it a start up company? Often the MOM will take a let's wait and see if the company has any staying power first.

I accepted an offer from one of the major investment bank (MNC) in Singapore but my P1 pass was rejected.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 8:48 pm

AS I said, does it have any staying power. In view of the current international investment bank climate, they may not be around long. We don't always know what is happening with MNC Investment Banks do we? Like Lehman Brothers or other "MNC" investment banks that have been in the news for the past 1.5 years or so........ :-|

ashok.byahut

Postby ashok.byahut » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:37 pm

Its one of the top investment bank, not an startup. It recruited quite aggressively and have many EP holders.

Does my nationality has to do anything with rejection? What is the best possible way to tackle this issue?

I know many EP got approved after initial rejection. Please help !!!!!!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Does the employer have other EP holders currently employed? Is it a start up company? Often the MOM will take a let's wait and see if the company has any staying power first.

I'd be more worried about the OP's staying power, 4 jobs in 5 years :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:54 pm

ashok.byahut wrote:I
Does my nationality has to do anything with rejection? What is the best possible way to tackle this issue?

Unless you have something substantial to offer, or your documents were thought to be forged, there is little hope of an appeal going through at this time. There is another on the board who was also rejected and it was due to suspect documents. He went to the MOM and met with an officer with the original docs and was subsequently given his EP. So, if you degree looks suspect and isn't a well know degree (outside of the country you got it in) that may well be the problem.

The other reason WHY MOM does not give out reasons, you have just politely broadcast to all and sundry. It is also a reason why maybe a lot of rejections are coming from countries in your vicinity. MOM doesn't want CV's doctored up to "meet" their qualifications. That's why they don't normally tell you and their point criteria remains something held very close to their collective chests. AND rightly so. This country want talent. Not schemers.

I've got to wonder as well about 4 jobs in 5 years. Who knows, maybe somehow that's weighted in the selection criteria as well. We really don't have any idea.

Any idea how many have been hired by this "MNC" since September? And their generally nationalities? Sept is when they started tightening up the criteria and making it more difficult for all companies to get foreigners hired, regardless of how many they had been hiring previously. It's called, protect it's citizens & PR's already here.

ashok.byahut

Postby ashok.byahut » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:08 am

thanks for the response.

This company hired quite substantial number of people since september and most of them are from singapore and india.

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blue_thunder » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:43 am

Saint wrote:I'd be more worried about the OP's staying power, 4 jobs in 5 years :wink:

I dont think so...as I am one of them :P
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 1:41 pm

Probably your HR knows the reasons, that's why he's asking for support documentation, which should have been presented with the application. After all if the documentation is not complete (proof) of character, then they are justified in a refusal. They may wish to contact your previous employers!

somesh

you can try this..

Postby somesh » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 7:57 pm

Your case is uncannily simliar to mine..I am a Nepalese citizen, studied in India thru and thru. Have an MBA degree from a top insti in India. Have been workin for 4 years with an Investment bank in India and the same bank wanted to move me to singapore. My EP got rejected and so did my appeal. I applied again and before the result came, I went to singapore to meet an officer at MOM.

Until then, I wasnt told of the reason. But when I met him, he indirectly indicated that they had some prob with my MBA transcript. I showed him the original, he kept photocopies and my EP was approved in 7 days.

If you believe your docs are genuine and all other things are in place, I would say, make an effort and go to Singapore from Nepal. Spend 2-3 days there. Go to the MOM. It might just work. Even if it doesnt, at least you would always have the satisfaction of giving it ur best shot

somesh

Postby somesh » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 8:04 pm

Another thing, it has nothing to do with your nepal citizenship, and if there is nothing new in your appeal, most surely it would get rejected too (so did mine, even after my company wrote a very strong letter with the appeal, justifying hiring me instead of a local).

They most surely have a problem that would not be told to your HR team and your HR team can only speculate (for eg they asked you to provide experience letters and stuff). It is futile in my view.

Do 2 things - 1. Ask your HR to make a covering letter justifying hiring you and recommend you strongly. Also, ask them not to file an online application but send it manually. 2. Go to MOM and meet them in the meanwhile.

All the best ! Hope my experience is of some help to you