Singapore Expats Forum

Advice needed! Jobs market and EPEC / PEP applications

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zamzam123

Advice needed! Jobs market and EPEC / PEP applications

Postby zamzam123 » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:09 am

Hi,

I am 30, female, British, moving to Singapore at end Q1 2010 because I love it here and need a change from London. I thought this would be relatively straightforward but after reading some of the posts on the site I'm a bit concerned about being able to find a job. I'm not being relocated with a company and don't have the opportunity to be.

I have a Masters Degree from University of London (in Media & Comms) and have 8 years work experience in marketing all in London but working with global clients (4 years in a global firm, and 4 years in an agency at which I am a Company Director). The plan is to get an EPEC and then apply for a PEP when (if!) I get a job offer. I meet the PEP criteria.

I've read on here that it's hard to even get a job in the first place as a foreigner and that even when you get an offer the employers EP application can be rejected. Is that the same for a PEP? Does the employer make that application?

So far I've registered with about 6 online agencies but it's a bit early to be applying for jobs as I won't be in Singapore until March for interviews.

Any advice would be appreciated about the reality of getting a professional job in Singapore in marketing / business development / events organising at the moment?

Thanks in advance!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:46 am

You can apply for the PEP yourself if you qualify with in income figures and can document them to MOM. This will give you around 6 months to find a job if need be. Otherwise the EPEC is also good. Better in fact, if you qualify academically, at that will give you 12 months to find a job and isn't subject to the 7k/mo minimum salary requirement. However, the EPEC is only good for 12 months and cannot be renewed. The PEP has annual salary limitations so has to be reported annually as to maintain the minimum required. See the relevant links below for more details.

PEP Personal Employment Pass

EPEC - Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate

At the moment, you might have a hard time as since Sept it's been rather hard on foreigners. However, if you have niche skillsets that you are able to capitalize on you might be able to sell yourself. Also, with your background, it would be a smart thing to capitalize on your networks to try to find the opening over here while still in the UK especially if you still have a position there. The market numbers here are still being massaged by the government to make things look rosier that they actually are on the ground and the lastest setback this morning shows the number for the 4th quarter sharply reversed from the two preceding quarters. Most of us already knew that, but the government keeps trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the general public which they think are just stupid drones. Seems there are a dearth of mktg types trying to move at the moment. So, you will need to really be able to bring something valueable to the table (your network?)

sms

sms

zamzam123

Postby zamzam123 » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:08 am

Thanks for the clear view sms - very helpful

Yes, I'm working my network in the UK while also going down the recruitment agency route. As you say, I think I will have more success getting a position through my current relationships / network.

Thanks