Singapore Expats Forum

Wonder if it's unusal

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:53 pm

Just had a thought for the Youth Olympic Games here. Imagine this at the opening ceremony, after all the fanfare the grand final unviels with a RSAF fly by.

A huge podium covered in locals orchids, slowly splits opens accompanied by smoke and dramatic music to reveal a rising flag draped pole, at the base Fricker is strapped. Spot light on his bottom and the Merlin appears and gives him six of the best with a large satay covered stick. Another world first... The crowd goes wild and everyone saves face.

Or is this some colonial public school fetish throw back? BTW what do you call the "executioner" in this case a merlin, that does the whipping a whippor who whips the whippee?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 10 Jun 2010 1:02 pm

I don't know what they're called but these guys could handle rattan canes real good! :twisted:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 10 Jun 2010 1:42 pm

nakatago wrote:I don't know what they're called but these guys could handle rattan canes real good! :twisted:

Hey those two will make a killing if they start a sugar cane juice stall with the Benihana twist.

wcyou

Postby wcyou » Thu, 10 Jun 2010 4:14 pm

Actually, I don't really understand why they are tempted to show their artistic talent to the whole world too..

That's why im a programmer.. not artist..

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 10 Jun 2010 4:22 pm

wcyou wrote:Actually, I don't really understand why they are tempted to show their artistic talent to the whole world too..

What, you never had the oh so naturally human longing to feel appreciated or recognized? Also, programmers have the same tendencies too--some do it for lulz, bragging rights or the right to earn more money/to be promoted. It's just that this idjit decided to break a few laws AND get caught in a country known for its harsh laws to express himself.

Disclaimer: I have artistic tendencies and program for a living.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Thu, 10 Jun 2010 6:48 pm

wcyou wrote:Actually, I don't really understand why they are tempted to show their artistic talent to the whole world too..

On the contrary, they share the same urge to be recognised. That is why antivirus/antispyware programs share the same woe with the police.