Singapore Expats Forum

Prices of Televisions in Singapore

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
aamkhao
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 31 Dec 2009
Location: Washington DC

Prices of Televisions in Singapore

Postby aamkhao » Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:52 am

Hello All, and seasons greetings!

We are very seriously considering a move to Singapore, and was wondering what the prices of TVs are in Singapore. I have tried to look for an online store where I can buy/price a TV but in vain.

I would be interested in 42" LCD, PLASMA or any size LED TV.

Since I have not yet moved to Singapore, I am wondering if it more cost effective to buy a Multi System, Multi Voltage LCD in the US, and then move it to Singapore via the Movers, or buy it there.

Thanks in advance for all the insight.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11060
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 31 Dec 2009 3:01 am

If you are not paying for the moving costs, it would be better to buy in the US. Otherwise, shipping costs far exceed price differentials.

User avatar
blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 19 Jul 2007
Location: Waveless beach

Re: Prices of Televisions in Singapore

Postby blue_thunder » Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:10 pm

aamkhao wrote:Hello All, and seasons greetings!

We are very seriously considering a move to Singapore, and was wondering what the prices of TVs are in Singapore. I have tried to look for an online store where I can buy/price a TV but in vain.

I would be interested in 42" LCD, PLASMA or any size LED TV.

Since I have not yet moved to Singapore, I am wondering if it more cost effective to buy a Multi System, Multi Voltage LCD in the US, and then move it to Singapore via the Movers, or buy it there.

Thanks in advance for all the insight.


42" LCD (with HD) -- S$ 2000++
42" LCD (without full HD) -- less than 2000
LED -- above 3500++ depending on the size.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

User avatar
pixfirewall
Regular
Regular
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2008

Re: Prices of Televisions in Singapore

Postby pixfirewall » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 2:49 am

blue_thunder wrote:
aamkhao wrote:Hello All, and seasons greetings!

We are very seriously considering a move to Singapore, and was wondering what the prices of TVs are in Singapore. I have tried to look for an online store where I can buy/price a TV but in vain.

I would be interested in 42" LCD, PLASMA or any size LED TV.

Since I have not yet moved to Singapore, I am wondering if it more cost effective to buy a Multi System, Multi Voltage LCD in the US, and then move it to Singapore via the Movers, or buy it there.

Thanks in advance for all the insight.


42" LCD (with HD) -- S$ 2000++
42" LCD (without full HD) -- less than 2000
LED -- above 3500++ depending on the size.


if your willing to wait...prices will drop on the upcoming IT show this year...i think around march or april....
pixfirewall
IM & email: dccruzjr@msn.com

snaw
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed, 07 Oct 2009

Postby snaw » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 9:00 pm

Sorry for the dumb question, but they'll be sold at the show and the pricwe will drop there, or generally everywhere in Singapore?

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 9:16 pm

generally, TV price will always fall for the old model. question is, how long do you wait? and do you want to buy an old model at a cheaper price or a new model but more expensive?

during the IT show, vendor and manufacturer will do some special offers only available at the show. so make sure you know your product and the price as they will pressure you to buy it there and then.

snaw
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed, 07 Oct 2009

Postby snaw » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 9:24 pm

Wasplanning on waiting till around then anyway. I don't mind getting this years good model that's about to be superceded.

Say I have a particular model in mind, do you think it'd be worth going along to show and seeing if I can get it cheaper, or just wait till afterwards and get it in an electronics store?

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:39 am

snaw wrote:Say I have a particular model in mind, do you think it'd be worth going along to show and seeing if I can get it cheaper, or just wait till afterwards and get it in an electronics store?


how long is a piece of string... :roll:

observer
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed, 13 Jan 2010

Postby observer » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:44 am

If you go to websites like the following, you can get an idea of the prices and the promotional deals.

http://courts.com.sg/
http://carrefour.com.sg/

There are other sites as well but the ones above are pretty up to date.

snaw
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed, 07 Oct 2009

Postby snaw » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 4:00 pm

durain wrote:
snaw wrote:Say I have a particular model in mind, do you think it'd be worth going along to show and seeing if I can get it cheaper, or just wait till afterwards and get it in an electronics store?


how long is a piece of string... :roll:


I've no local experience, hence I come to a resource like singaporexpats for advice. I appreciate that with electronics things always change, but the implication earlier was that it's best to wait for this show, so I'm merely asking for some further info based on local knowledge and experience. I'll pass on the side order of patronising, thx.

And thanks observer, I'll use that as a start point.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35115
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 4:31 pm

And................

Once you get here, be sure to buy at the first shop you walk into.

once you get here you will understand WHY we sometimes give the answers we do. You can pay top dollar or pretty cheap (but you might not get all the bits and pieces you are supposed to get). Electronic & Camera gear you cannot even thinks about making a "qualified" statement here.

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 6:52 pm

snaw wrote:I've no local experience, hence I come to a resource like singaporexpats for advice. I appreciate that with electronics things always change, but the implication earlier was that it's best to wait for this show, so I'm merely asking for some further info based on local knowledge and experience. I'll pass on the side order of patronising, thx.


TV price will always go down in price given time, whether you are in singapore or in mogadishu. if during the IT show is selling it cheaper, just buy it there. why wait and buy it later?

at the end of the day, dont be so tight. if you need a TV, just buy it.

snaw
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed, 07 Oct 2009

Postby snaw » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:04 am

durain wrote:
snaw wrote:TV price will always go down in price given time, whether you are in singapore or in mogadishu. if during the IT show is selling it cheaper, just buy it there. why wait and buy it later?

at the end of the day, dont be so tight. if you need a TV, just buy it.


Is a manager on this forum like a mod, or is it your forum?

I'm just asking for an opinion, not a lecture. I have a good TV, I'd like a newer one, but if waiting a few weeks means I can save a few bucks then I'll wait. And I know the price of electronics comes down over time, but clearly me calling you patronising has gone way over your head.

aamkhao
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 31 Dec 2009
Location: Washington DC

Thank you to all

Postby aamkhao » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 1:49 am

Thanks to everyone who posted replies. If looks like Courts Webstore has the answers that I needed.

We have decided to move to Singapore and really appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks a ton!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests