Singapore Expats Forum

Need some help locating some specific beers

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

tkopf01
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 30 Dec 2009

Need some help locating some specific beers

Postby tkopf01 » Wed, 30 Dec 2009 4:19 pm

Hey all, I moved to Singapore in October from Texas and since then I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a few beers which just remind me of home. Does anyone know where, if at all you can buy, Shiner Bock or Bud Light?

thx
Tim

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 30 Dec 2009 6:46 pm

Hey Tim, Welcome to Singapore,
You can get Budweiser regular in cans at Cold Storage S$ 17.75 for a 6 pack.
They have got Miller's at the "Ice Cold Beer" at Emerald hill. (beside Centerpoint Shopping Center) (there have 50 different types of beer there)

Brauhaus at United Square has about 200 ++ types of beer there.
oldest German Pub in Singapore.

Will keep a look out for the 2 beers that you like, but in the mean time, i am sure you will find something similar... and better.

Enjoy your stay here and oh...cheers

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34793
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Dec 2009 8:15 pm

Believe me, the various brews here will have you drooling if you will but give them a chance. I won't drink a US beer anymore. They are like have sex at the beach. "F**king near water!" :lol: Yeah, I'm a Yank come over from your neighboring state (but not from there originally) - worked on the rigs outta Morgan Sewer!

:cool:

Hugo_R
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009
Location: Montreal

Postby Hugo_R » Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:27 pm

The US has lovely microbreweries with a moderately large production such as Rogue, Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada and others. I still wonder why USians drink bud

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Believe me, the various brews here will have you drooling if you will but give them a chance. I won't drink a US beer anymore. They are like have sex at the beach. "F**king near water!" :lol: Yeah, I'm a Yank come over from your neighboring state (but not from there originally) - worked on the rigs outta Morgan Sewer!

:cool:


That is a good one.... "F..King near water"
really crack me up.
Well, I would drink a bud, but only if it was the last beer on earth,
No offense to your preference Tim,
My favs are Carlsberg, Erdinger (light / dark), Wastenier and Guiness.
Hey SMS, what is your pleasure? (Keep it to beer) :wink:

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:24 am

Hugo_R wrote:The US has lovely microbreweries with a moderately large production such as Rogue, Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada and others. I still wonder why USians drink bud



There are several good microbreweries in Singapore....... I don't class Brewerkz as "good" but is generally okay.

The Pump, Red Dot, a Czech place in Gilman Villiage i can't remember the name of, Paulaner to a certain extent and the recently opened Thai-German Tawandang at Dempsey name pretty much the best ones here.

You'd never need to drink american again.

User avatar
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri, 17 Aug 2007
Location: In a spacious appartment

Re: Need some help locating some specific beers

Postby Superglide » Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:34 am

tkopf01 wrote:Hey all, I moved to Singapore in October from Texas and since then I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a few beers which just remind me of home. Does anyone know where, if at all you can buy, Shiner Bock or Bud Light?

thx
Tim


Try a bar / restaurant called Oosters, at Capital Square, Church Street.

Tell them you're from US and would like to learn enjoying beer.

Not sure they still offer Rochefort 10, but that should do it, if available.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Hugo_R
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009
Location: Montreal

Postby Hugo_R » Sun, 03 Jan 2010 1:14 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:
Hugo_R wrote:The US has lovely microbreweries with a moderately large production such as Rogue, Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada and others. I still wonder why USians drink bud



There are several good microbreweries in Singapore....... I don't class Brewerkz as "good" but is generally okay.

The Pump, Red Dot, a Czech place in Gilman Villiage i can't remember the name of, Paulaner to a certain extent and the recently opened Thai-German Tawandang at Dempsey name pretty much the best ones here.

You'd never need to drink american again.


Nice, I'll be aware for when I move over! 8-)

I meant that looking for US brewed piss overseas doesn't make much sense :D

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sun, 03 Jan 2010 3:46 pm

Hugo_R wrote:
Nice, I'll be aware for when I move over! 8-)

I meant that looking for US brewed piss overseas doesn't make much sense :D



Not aimed at you...... general information and a point to OP only ;) With so much good beer around.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Need some help locating some specific beers

Postby x9200 » Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:04 pm

tkopf01 wrote:Hey all, I moved to Singapore in October from Texas and since then I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a few beers which just remind me of home. Does anyone know where, if at all you can buy, Shiner Bock or Bud Light?

Agree with SMS and surprisingly being Bud illiterate some time ago time was given exactly the same explanation by my American friend - F...close to water . Besides the places already mentioned you may find some coffee-shop surprises. Inside Bukit Timah Market and Food Centre there is one beer stall (2nd floor IIRC) with amazing variety of beer, for example Chimays in 1l bottles not easily to be found in other places.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon, 27 Jul 2009

Postby Koalabear » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:59 am

at least bud is near water

tiger is just water (in my army camp that is)

Wellman
Regular
Regular
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu, 26 Nov 2009

Postby Wellman » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 1:02 pm

Koalabear wrote:at least bud is near water

tiger is just water (in my army camp that is)


Bud is pish, reminds me when I was 15 years old! Tiger is grand, and there's always Heineken to rely on :)

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:16 am

Not a fan of Heineken at all. Will take a Chang or a Tsing Tao over that... :)

You want a truly unique beer experience? Tell me when and I'll take you to a giant HDB complex in Chinatown, behind the temple, where on L2 there is a beer hall for the locals. What an atmosphere to drink in, loved every second of it. Felt bored to hell in Clarke Quay the next day... :)

Wellman
Regular
Regular
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu, 26 Nov 2009

Postby Wellman » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:19 am

aster wrote:Not a fan of Heineken at all. Will take a Chang or a Tsing Tao over that... :)

You want a truly unique beer experience? Tell me when and I'll take you to a giant HDB complex in Chinatown, behind the temple, where on L2 there is a beer hall for the locals. What an atmosphere to drink in, loved every second of it. Felt bored to hell in Clarke Quay the next day... :)


What is this HDB complex?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:36 am

Wellman wrote:
aster wrote:Not a fan of Heineken at all. Will take a Chang or a Tsing Tao over that... :)

You want a truly unique beer experience? Tell me when and I'll take you to a giant HDB complex in Chinatown, behind the temple, where on L2 there is a beer hall for the locals. What an atmosphere to drink in, loved every second of it. Felt bored to hell in Clarke Quay the next day... :)


What is this HDB complex?


Yes, where is this wonderful place of which you speak, in which we could partake wonderful ambrosia... :o


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests