Singapore Expats Forum

Resume Writing Service

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

newbieisme

Resume Writing Service

Postby newbieisme » Mon, 28 Dec 2009 3:50 pm

Hey guys,

I just moved to Singapore and need a good professional resume writer. What are the good ones? Anyone had experiences?

I really don't want to lose money over this and I have heard of horror stories with these resume writing folks.

Cheers!

trixiebella

Postby trixiebella » Mon, 28 Dec 2009 4:00 pm

There are quite a number of them in Singapore. And the bigger ones seem to be ResumeAsia - but they have a god horrible website. I wouldn't trust them. Lol!

I've also heard of CV Plus Group, but my best friend tried them and didn't have a good experience at all. They charge for every resume edit if you not satisfied, and the consultant was not helpful at all.

I highly recommend you try WriteItPerfect.com - They're a small company, but they give you personalised service, for sure. It's not a HR company, but they were definitely knowledgeable about things and knew what employers and HR people here look for. And they have a money-back guarantee that other companies don't have.

I've gotten my resume edited with them and it got me two interviews. I've recommended them a bunch of my friends.

Good luck and let us know your experience!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 6:02 pm

OMG :???: What kind of people need someone to write their CV's?

g-shock

Postby g-shock » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:49 pm

I do know of a few freelancers (about 3) who have written resumes for jobseekers (who have eventually found their way into MNCs in Singapore) met them over a couple of drinks. They do it part-time though, you could probably email me for their contacts.

My email is rainforest93@gmail.com

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 1:48 pm

Frankly, resume writers often will cause more jobs to be lost than gained.

I'm saying this from a practical perspective of having 14 years as a headhunter and the last 5 years as an HR Mgr of an SME. Resume writers massage your CV until they get to a point that when the owner of the CV is sitting in front of me (figuratively speaking) at the interview, and they cannot project or talk or back up the claims of the CV, I kinda just turn off as I realize what I may of originally thought were valid claims, are just fluff added by someone else who may or may not have understood exactly what the candidate was actually saying.

From the candidates POV, I have to wonder though, which feels worse? Not getting to the interview at all, or going to endless interviews with nothing ever coming from it except expenses to attend them? Do you feel worse "not competing (the interview)" or "constantly losing out to the other candidate"?

A CV should be a snapshot of the individual, not a painting.

sms

newbieisme

Postby newbieisme » Tue, 18 May 2010 2:48 pm

Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd update this - went with WriteItPerfect.com and they were great! Their service was really quick and they managed to articulate my strengths better than i ever could. If anyone out there is looking for some help, you might want to think of them.

And the good thing is also that they are relatively small...like trixiebella said, they are a small team and keep costs low that way.

Good luck!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 May 2010 3:12 pm

Yeah, but did you find a job yet.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 19 May 2010 1:07 pm

newbieisme wrote:Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd update this - went with WriteItPerfect.com and they were great! Their service was really quick and they managed to articulate my strengths better than i ever could. If anyone out there is looking for some help, you might want to think of them.

And the good thing is also that they are relatively small...like trixiebella said, they are a small team and keep costs low that way.

Good luck!

I would say you and trixiebella joining the forum on the same day is more than a coincidence. Advertising comes to mind :wink: Such an old post kickstarted!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 19 May 2010 1:17 pm

Sigh...if you're the type who needs someone else to write your resume for you, you don't deserve to get an interview. How do you expect to sell yourself verbally if you can't even do it in writing?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 May 2010 1:30 pm

Yeah, but you just now realized it. :P

I've been waiting for additional posts ever since as I really couldn't bust them even though it appears that way. Shame both IP addys aren't the same! But still watching......tic......toc...... :wink:

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Postby intellectualsmuse » Wed, 19 May 2010 10:52 pm

Presenting the all-new "Interview Appearance" service. Will go to the interview on behalf of the candidate and represent him/her. Free: Resume Writing Service as an add on!

~~~~~~~
Okay am feeling a little batty tonight, but reading posts like the one on this thread does that to me!
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 20 May 2010 12:11 am

OK... so maybe this thread is a _subtle_ advertising scam.

Nevertheless, there is value in a resume writing service. I sell project managers. I get a lot of CV's. I interview quite a few people. Many of the people that I would be willing to put out to a client site have crappy CV's.

I rewrite them, to focus on the strengths that they have missed, ferret out inconsistencies, and overall to present a more powerful impression of the candidate. I have my own CV vetted by trusted friends because I don't see me as they see me.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 May 2010 12:37 am

AAahhh. But there's the rub. You KNOW what your project manager do. The average resume writer is like the average income tax consultant. They know key words and a phrases and if you hit a key words the insert a phrase instead without really knowing if the guy is full of crap or not. You, on the other hand, know exactly what they do.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 20 May 2010 8:00 am

CVs are often written to satisfy the man in the middle which are typically recruiters or HR stuff. Again, very typically they have no clue about the required skill sets esp. for technical and engineering jobs and they do not think outside of the box but they are the gate keepers. Skills necessary to do a particular job right may be completely different from these necessary for writing good CV. A + B.
If someone puts a crap in her/his CV sooner or later it will surface. Rather sooner and already during the interview.

Arwen

Postby Arwen » Thu, 27 May 2010 11:59 am

well I used resume writing services, after a lack of responses to my old cv. I had to submit my CV and a detailed description of my work. According to this my CV was just updated in a version that appeals more to Singapore HR Departments. I personally dont think its a shame using this services, as long as it still reflects your real skills. And selling myself in an interview is usually not a big issue for me :wink: