Singapore Expats Forum

Fear of flying...please help

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 4:56 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
A funny sight having a 6'4 burly Yugoslav ex-AFL player and me holding hands . . . I'm sure it cost me some dates with flighties . . . despite repeated explanations and assurances of my heterosexuality.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 5:15 pm

I think the thread is heading in the wrong direction - as someone who has flown approx twice a week for over 15 years, I would say - It's safer to be on an airplane than it is to be on singapore roads - and Yes I have flown Philipine Airlines - many times. I have become so Blase about it, I don't even bother looking out the windows. Turulence can be a bit scary, but REAL turbulence is also extremely rare. You are in more danger from the food. If you are looking at the amount of accidents that a particuler airline has been involved in, compare it against the number of take-offs and landings. It's no good comparing a small airline with say UNITED (although I hate them) yes SIA is cool, nice and expensive, but if i was paying for myslef, I would have no qualms flying Philipine, especially on long haule where they use their most modern jeta and best crew. Many thosands of take offs and landings take place every day, but the media loves to highlight the accidents - see the recent one in Jamaice (but also realise no fatalaties) on the same day in SG 3 people were killed on the roads. But the headline - The plane accident. My advice - Fly, save the money and buy yourslef someting cool with the money saved.

sweetie2980

Postby sweetie2980 » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 5:30 pm

mondaymorningquarterback wrote:So your post is about fear of flying. Why the long explanation?

Are you referring to me?hmm..... :? sounds like im being a naggy to you.Well im being nice here and asking for advice and suggestion based on my situation.People here are kind enough to share their views and it seems like there are alot of seasoned travellers swimming around this forum.And you know what? im feeling much better now ever since my first thread.Its not too much to say that people here are like one big family despite our differences and culture but we still come here and share our stories, being supportive, share laugh and jokes and i see even some of you organised group meetings outside :D

To EV-Disinfection thank you for that nice welcoming gesture i will definitely post my stories here.

So based on the research it sounds like the safest bet is to a seat either in the middle or near the tail...i will look into that

For Vaucluse info...im on my K1 visa or in other words migrant visa.I have the right to stay in US as soon i get married there.

After all the money spent and more money coming out to buy the plane ticket hopefully i wont screw up my interview if not im doomed :lol:

I definitely gonna stuff in countless of Satays (Lau Pa Sat got the best ones), chicken rice, Katong Laksa, Char kuey teow and all the other yummy greasy local food in a month time..cross my finger my fiance wont send me home cause im too fat for him :P

cheers everyone...
from down south all the way to west coast california..blending the sugar and spice of asian world in the world of melting pots america

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 7:57 pm

sweetie2980 wrote:I definitely gonna stuff in countless of Satays (Lau Pa Sat got the best ones), chicken rice, Katong Laksa, Char kuey teow and all the other yummy greasy local food in a month time..cross my finger my fiance wont send me home cause im too fat for him :P

Not sure I have understood you correctly but should you mean take it with you be wary of what food is allowed/prohibited in the United States or you could find yourself saddled with a large fine. However, I don't know what the US regulations are, where are you sms?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 9:33 pm

Plavt, I read it as she is gonna chow down for the next month before leaving for the US and the impending drought of delightful greasy UFO's (Unidentified Fried Objects) and other scrumptious local dishes available here in Singers. I don't think she meant she was going into the import business. Hence the referral to gaining weight. :P

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:54 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:"get an aisle seat (so you don't look out of the windows) where the airplanes wings are at (Middle of the plane),"

Get the seats where the plane's wings are, usually at the middle of the plane, those are the best seats and where the plane is most stable....

Lets not forget the middle of the plane is where you sit a few feet from white hot fan blades, spinning at some mind numbing speed. A bit of metal fatigue and shards of titanium blades will be slicing through the middle of the cabin.

Forget the plane, take a boat, really find out what your future hubby is like after a month stuck on a boat anyones true colours will show through. :lol:

sgpdavid

Postby sgpdavid » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:56 pm

I'm also scared of flying ... have flown many times and after a while it gets a bit better, but not much.

Knowing how aeroplanes work doesn't help ... I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering, and some of the stories ... for sure it doesn't help!

The most important thing to remember is that the fear is irrational and only in your mind, it is not related to the real safety of flying, because as you probably know, flying is the safest way to travel.

Also, remember, probably pretty much everyone is scared or at least a bit nervous about flying, especially (take-off) to a certain extent.

Things that do help are distractions - that means read something, watch something on TV if possible or listen to your MP3 player etc. Also a drink will help, but I don't recommend getting drunk! Just one or two to relax you a bit.

The most helpful thing I read about fear of flying relates to what was referred to as "catastrophising" basically it refers to when your mind wanders onto those topics that will scare you, like "what's that noise", "what's that movement", "what if x happens ... ". The way to avoid this is to focus your mind on something positive, that will happen after the flight, eg how happy you will be when you land, collect your bags, start your holiday etc! My fear of flying is unusual, because although I hate take off and can barely manage cruising, I actually find decent and landing very exciting! So to avoid "catastrophising" I always imagine that moment of touch down when the thrust reversers kick in ...

sweetie2980

Postby sweetie2980 » Wed, 30 Dec 2009 12:00 am

Forget the plane, take a boat, really find out what your future hubby is like after a month stuck on a boat anyones true colours will show through. :lol:[/quote]

He might petition for another asian...probably with a huge sexy butt to spank every night :lol: kidding.....
from down south all the way to west coast california..blending the sugar and spice of asian world in the world of melting pots america

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:33 pm

you cannot expect to work through such fears in 2 months.

for shorter trips, you could get away with taking some sedatives (valium, lexotan, ativan... the list goes on! but i recommend and personally use stilnox to sleep on planes)

you can consider seeing a hypnotherapist to learn some relaxation and visualization techniques AND a doctor for some pills as a backup.

no injections necessary. no pilot will be around to allay your fears these days either.

good luck!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sweetie2980

Postby sweetie2980 » Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:59 pm

taxico wrote:you cannot expect to work through such fears in 2 months.

for shorter trips, you could get away with taking some sedatives (valium, lexotan, ativan... the list goes on! but i recommend and personally use stilnox to sleep on planes)

you can consider seeing a hypnotherapist to learn some relaxation and visualization techniques AND a doctor for some pills as a backup.

no injections necessary. no pilot will be around to allay your fears these days either.

good luck!

So are these pills can easily be attainable through pharmacy? or i have to go through doctor recommendation?

Thanks for the suggestions anyway Taxico..

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:59 pm

no such relaxants/sedatives are available OTC unless you have an MCR #.

you'll need to see a doctor. see your family doctor, that might cut through some required "hmmms!" and save you a few visits.

he/she might also recommend you a hypnotherapist. don't go to quacks...
Last edited by taxico on Fri, 01 Jan 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 01 Jan 2010 5:26 pm

Not true the courses I referred to in the UK which don't involve any medication are known to allay peoples fears in a few hours, just a pity they aren't available there. There are still pilots around that will allay your fears, maybe you are referring to American airlines where merely asking a question out of interest will get your head bitten off, or so it seems.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Jan 2010 5:36 pm

Plavt wrote:....maybe you are referring to American airlines where merely asking a question out of interest will get your head bitten off, or so it seems.

It this anecdotal evidence? or just heresay evidence? or just a wild assumption as you just don't like US airlines? :P

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Fri, 01 Jan 2010 7:44 pm

Plavt wrote:

Not true the courses I referred to in the UK which don't involve any medication are known to allay peoples fears in a few hours, just a pity they aren't available there. There are still pilots around that will allay your fears, maybe you are referring to American airlines where merely asking a question out of interest will get your head bitten off, or so it seems.

i know the courses you're talking about. i don't think it will work for the OP.

regardless, she should not expect to work through her fears in XX months prior to seeking any form of assistance.

while i still see pilots walking through the cabins, it's usually to stretch their legs, not for small talk. on short/medium haul flights, i've not seen this happen.

air travel is no longer what it used to be, even before 9/11...

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 01 Jan 2010 7:53 pm

taxico wrote:
while i still see pilots walking through the cabins, it's usually to stretch their legs, not for small talk. on short/medium haul flights, i've not seen this happen.

That is true but most are amicable enough to answer a question, on some airlines they will still allow passengers to visit the flight deck before or after take-off while the engines are shut down. According to one web-site they still do so in flight but not US or UK carriers although I don't know how true that is....