Singapore Expats Forum

Being offered a job, housing not covered.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

HongKong_Guest

Being offered a job, housing not covered.

Postby HongKong_Guest » Mon, 09 Feb 2004 2:52 pm

Hi,

I'm new in this forum, hopefully you guys can help me out here.

I'm currently in Manila and I'm being offered a position in an IT firm in Singapore for a permanent position.

The initial offer was S$3500/mo and I don't know (I just got the news this PM) what other benefits are covered but housing is definitely not one of them.

I'll be having my first child by April and I'm planning to bring my spouse and my child (of course) with me by then.

Will my salary be able to support our basic needs such as food, shelter, medicare and "regular" expenses?

My spouse and I aren't the type who likes to go out and stuff, but granted that if we move in, we have to make purchases such as household furnishings and other essentials. Will we make it at that salary rate?

Budget

Postby Guest » Mon, 09 Feb 2004 3:57 pm

My dear Hker
This is a barely sufficient budget
threadbare I would say
Even with HDB housing ie public
Demand for more
You will need it
Good luck :!:

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 09 Feb 2004 9:02 pm

There are families living in Singapore on a third of that, but your salary is by no means luxurious if you're going to support three people on it -- you'll be living like a Singaporean, not like an expat. A decent HDB will set you back ~S$1000, food and public transport will chew up another thousand... Make sure you find out soon what (if any?) benefits you will be offered, as things like health insurance and medical care can be huge expenses.

HongKong_Guest

re

Postby HongKong_Guest » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 2:41 pm

Thank you for your responses...

First of all, I'm not exactly an expat, just applied for a mid-to-senior level position and seriously considering the transfer. The 3500 is initial and a raise will be given in 3-6 months upon permanence.

I'd like to know how much average would the following cost: (Sorry, I've yet to ask where the company is located.)

1) Housing 2 bedroom will do, preferably semi-furnished with the essentials such as stove, refridgerator etc. Doesn't have to be "downtown".

2) How much is commuting to and fro the office if you don't live downtown?

3) Are Singaporean companies required by law to provide basic medicare and insurance?

Thank you so much.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 7:44 pm

There are all FAQs, take a look at the Guides for Expats on this very site:

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/guides-f ... -expat.htm

Briefly:
1) $700 up
2) $1.50 x 2 x 30 and round up = $100
3) No (I think), but most contracts include some minimal insurance

You can even hire the friendly Singapore Expats admins to house hunt for you! (Admins, I'll expect a cut for this free advertising 8) )

HongKong_Guest

re

Postby HongKong_Guest » Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:48 am

jpatokal: Big help... Thanks... I was just a bit shocked the other day when I was browsing that site that most housing costs 3-8K a month... hehe..

I'll update you guys after I get the whole package info.

hsu hsia

I can answer your queries

Postby hsu hsia » Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:48 pm

hi HK. You seems to havr lots of queries. I can answer you one by one but i cannot be posting a long long mails over the net. If possible, email me at financial_mgt@yahoo.com.sg and I tell you the details.

Hsu Hsia