Singapore Expats Forum

Service Charges for New Years Eve Restaurants

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
kiwi73
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009

Service Charges for New Years Eve Restaurants

Postby kiwi73 » Sat, 26 Dec 2009 12:31 pm

I was looking for places to take my visiting friends out on New Years Eve in Singapore and found an advert for Sparkle Under the Sea at IndoChine down by Asian Civilization Museum. So I enquire about the dinner and band etc and agree to but 4 tickets priced at 200++ each (free flow of wine and beer all night).
The bill comes along and low and behold the price is $1250. How does this work out I asked, well says the lady we are charging 70% service charge on top of the $200 plus 7% GST so a total of 77% charges on top.
How is this possible? I have never heard of a restaurant charging this much service charge. I can understand the need to cover the free alcohol and band and wages of staff but this should be covered in the $200 per head.
Anyone seen this sort of scheme before in Singapore?

rainbowsunshine
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed, 23 Dec 2009

Postby rainbowsunshine » Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:23 pm

Sounds like you got totally ripped off. I suggest you lodge a complian to the Consumer's Association of SIngapore at : http://www.case.org.sg/

And also write in to the press... you might be able to get a refund. All the best!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Dec 2009 10:20 am

Most definitely take it to CASE and to the Press. ASAP! You have been ripped off big time.

User avatar
kiwi73
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009

Postby kiwi73 » Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:46 am

OK crisis averted.
After loosing sleep over this I called up the restaurant booking line and spoke to their agents who tells me it should be the std 10% Service Charge and 7% GST.

So the amount should have been $200 x 1.177.

Seems the lady at the front desk of the restaurant does not understand maths as she explained to me that the charge was 1.77 times even after my protest.

So the finance dept of IndoChine is refunding my $400 over charge amount by tomorrow and will speak to the front office lady to clear up the confusion.

Now I can focus on having a good time on New Years Eve. Thanks for the links to CASE. May come in handy in the future.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Dec 2009 2:03 pm

Ahhhh. It's nice to see a quick, sane resolution. Fortunately not like the $29 tiger prawn episode: http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/sh ... p?t=229165

Guess they didn't want their name dragged through the mud in the local birdcage liner. :lol:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest