Singapore Expats Forum

One bedroom vs studio. Am I weird in my look at things?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Pepijn
Regular
Regular

One bedroom vs studio. Am I weird in my look at things?

Postby Pepijn » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 1:51 pm

Hi all,

Getting more and more frustrated with a couple of real estate agents (guess I am not the only one), but now they tell me I am wrong in my expectations.

Now I ask you, if an apartment has no self contained bedroom, as in, no walls and no door, it is a studio right?

Am I really insane if I expect a bedroom with a door I can close, to keep my pets out of the bedroom at night, when they advertise a place as 1 bedroom?

They advise I get from them, you should look for a 2 bedroom place if you want to be able to close the bedroom off. ????

Am I really confused? Or is basic mathematics no longer required to become a real estate agent (unless it's monetary)?

Sorry if this seems to be a flame, I actually really begin to doubt my marbles, but that could be due to agents waking me up at 5 in the morning.

P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 2:35 pm

You are correct. Even here. It sounds like they are just trying to have you on and trying to rent you something you don't need or want.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macaroonie » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 3:52 pm

I have seen studios where you can also close the doors to the bedroom, they make an enclosure type thing. Don't believe everything these agents tell you, the majority of the time they are only trying to rip you off! Good luck

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 4:57 pm

i think over here they count the whole room in the apartment as the number of room...so like 3 room can be 2+1 (2 BR and 1 living room)

dunno...sounds like a misunderstanding

mrHomeLook

Postby mrHomeLook » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:17 pm

i really like the idea of studio apartments but when guests come over, it may be a little weird, as u say. partitions are great to improve on that matter
MR HomeLook

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Thu, 24 Dec 2009 4:11 pm

Many agents use the terms "studio" and 1-bedroom apartment" interchangeably. But most should understand the difference. There are plenty of these 1-bedroom apartments around - I lived in one for 3 years.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

vmetro

Postby vmetro » Sun, 27 Dec 2009 9:05 pm

I concur with Adda's comment.

When I first found my current apartment on the newspaper, it was listed as a studio. But when I checked it out in person, it was actually one bedroom (by US standard) i.e. a bedroom with door, separate living room, kitchen/bathroom.

I think the trick with dealing with a lot of real estate agents and landlords here is you have to know exactly what you are looking for and the price you are willing to pay, or you will just get pulled in all directions.