Singapore Expats

Am I the only British man on LTVP. O levels+cant get job?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
British Man

Am I the only British man on LTVP. O levels+cant get job?

Post by British Man » Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:42 am

:(

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:10 pm

I would be surprised if you were.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:33 pm

Probably not. O levels, unless you have heaps of experience and can find a job paying more than 7K/mo, are not likely to get approval from the MOM to get an employment pass. All the lower passes require degrees. Only the P1 visa doesn't require the degree but only the salary minimum. However, if you are married to a local you could apply for PR and then you might be able to score something.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Fri, 18 Dec 2009 5:08 pm

Though it might be difficult to get PR unless you were married for sometime.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Fri, 18 Dec 2009 6:26 pm

If you are stuck here unable to work, would you consider studying?

Local unis might be hard to get into without your A-levels, but you could take a couple of subjects from Open University in the UK. And use this to get yourself started.

If you are planning to be around Singapore for sometime, it does not hurt to have the bit of paper, if you have the mood for studying that is.

Good Luck!

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:45 am

:-| even I am a local here I feel sad ...

in singapore is sad the employers here only see your certs than your skills.

for me I feel skills is more important in fact.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 6:09 pm

I agree with SGBoy.

I've just taken someone on today and she asked me if I wanted to see her certificates. Personally I'm not interested in bits of paper like that. I want to see their skills and if they can do the work then they get employed. Simple.

However.... Singapore likes those little bits of paper. They have to justify why you, as a foreigner (I am too by the way) should be employed over a local. Their system is good here. Sometimes unfair at times but mainly right. Look after your own 1st and then you are in a position to help others because you're stronger for it. I don't blame them one bit. This is a small place and locals take priority.

If only the UK had a proper system like this then we wouldn't be over-run by millions of people claiming money here, there and everywhere. Ok, rant over :)
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 6:20 pm

:wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:44 pm

ukdesigner wrote:I agree with SGBoy.

I've just taken someone on today and she asked me if I wanted to see her certificates. Personally I'm not interested in bits of paper like that. I want to see their skills and if they can do the work then they get employed. Simple.

However.... Singapore likes those little bits of paper. They have to justify why you, as a foreigner (I am too by the way) should be employed over a local. Their system is good here. Sometimes unfair at times but mainly right. Look after your own 1st and then you are in a position to help others because you're stronger for it. I don't blame them one bit. This is a small place and locals take priority.

If only the UK had a proper system like this then we wouldn't be over-run by millions of people claiming money here, there and everywhere. Ok, rant over :)
one thing I am puzzle why people admire singapore education systems?

is it media make a ho ah of it?

seriously as a Local myself here.

I feel our education systems something is not right.
nowadays and in the future the young generation seem put more pressure on themself on that freaking cert than what they learn .

next is our society here the culture.Seem like you don;t anything thing but have the freaking good cert with you is like an amulet.

this is the wrong concept.

I not sure is the local education systems is on the blame?or the present society out there around the world now is like this?

FelineUK
Regular
Regular

Post by FelineUK » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:28 am

I only have GCSE's (showing my age as I was the in the first group of people to take them in 1988)... I managed to get roles here based on my experience as an IT contractor (former life)... I was very in demand but they didnt want to pay the rates so in order to stay i had to drop and drop my rates til in the end i was on 25% or my original salary so i could stay with my partner.

As I see it, it all depends how much you want to stay, do you have a speciality, do you have an entrepreneur mind set? I know initiative is one thing here that is in short supply here.

I am reinventing myself into something completely different as I have the opinion if you love what you do its not work... In IT working damn long hours for someone else and the stress and idiocy that goes with it all, its just not worth it....