Singapore Expats Forum

Biggest gamble of your life?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:40 pm

SGBoy,

Yes, what you say has an element of truth to it. BUT. From experience, I spend a lot of time on the net at home even now with a wife & kids (course the kids are already big so are rarely around anyway). It's funny though. I can be on the internet for hours while she is watching TV or whatever in another room and I don't feel lonely or bored. But, let her go out to her sisters or rellies for the evening and I'm left all alone in the house. I immediately sense the loss even though when she's there we are each doing our own thing.

So your friends are correct. You won't miss those things until they're not available. And then? The loss become enormous. That's why suicides are higher among singles than married couples (although murders among family members is higher when you are married - but that's another issue). In later years, when one is not quite as mobile as they were in their youth, or the bloom has left their cheeks, it went it will be felt the most and be unattainable then.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Postby SGBoyxxx » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 4:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:SGBoy,

Yes, what you say has an element of truth to it. BUT. From experience, I spend a lot of time on the net at home even now with a wife & kids (course the kids are already big so are rarely around anyway). It's funny though. I can be on the internet for hours while she is watching TV or whatever in another room and I don't feel lonely or bored. But, let her go out to her sisters or rellies for the evening and I'm left all alone in the house. I immediately sense the loss even though when she's there we are each doing our own thing.

So your friends are correct. You won't miss those things until they're not available. And then? The loss become enormous. That's why suicides are higher among singles than married couples (although murders among family members is higher when you are married - but that's another issue). In later years, when one is not quite as mobile as they were in their youth, or the bloom has left their cheeks, it went it will be felt the most and be unattainable then.

:oops: true.

but I do noticed nowadays alot european guys prefer to be single huh?
correct me if I am wrong here.

Maybe due to present society.
In many developing countries like japan , china , even in singapore lot singles.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Dec 2009 5:32 pm

Check back when they're my age & see how they feel then. :wink:

It's one thing when you are 40 or even 50 and still at the top of your game and in the prime of your earning curve. It's another when you are staring at retirement (or being ousted by a younger colleague) and your retirement fund has collapsed due to bad investments by your bankers and you are left without a pot to p*ss in or a window to throw it out of.

Let's put it another way. Talk is cheap when one is young. It takes on a different hue when you are past the bloom of youth or even middle age when you get up and go, may well have got up and went! Especially, like lots of the youth of today, the loud music & lots of alcohol will create lots of deaf old people with cirrhosis of the liver and who knows what other ailments to afflict them in later years that may well hamper their activities even further.

Anyway, whatever you do, try to enjoy it! :wink: