Singapore Expats Forum

It's that time of the year to wish you all . . .

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Fri, 18 Dec 2009 2:21 am

Vaucluse wrote:

The only reasons my wife loves me . . . will you be freezing or beaching it this year?

I'll be enjoying a tropical Christmas.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:18 pm

Here are a couple of pics from where I'm staying at the moment

the first was from last Friday morning after we woke up,

The 2nd is the snow blizzard at the moment!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 28 Dec 2009 1:40 pm

Bafana opines:
Your still a self righteous pain in the ass butt we love you too mate. Merry Christmas.

Flattery will get you nowhere! :) Christmas was great . . . now onto the New Year!

KSL writes:
Stopped the vinegar drinking 3 months ago and took to Mr Baron, now suffering overweight and high uric acid, so I'm back on the vinegar and off the booze for a while!

There are shops selling drinking honey-vinegar, is that what you are referring to? Tried it . . . ugh!

saint posted:
Here are a couple of pics from where I'm staying at the moment

Why is it that it looks so pretty, but once you spend more than 10 minutes in it . . .

'nuff said Image

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:36 pm

KSL writes:
Quote:

Stopped the vinegar drinking 3 months ago and took to Mr Baron, now suffering overweight and high uric acid, so I'm back on the vinegar and off the booze for a while!

There are shops selling drinking honey-vinegar, is that what you are referring to? Tried it . . . ugh!
Nope not that stuff, ours is much more superior and comes in 12 flavours! Ours are real beverages much like fruit juice and aged brown rice, the closest thing to non alcoholic wine, with no vinegar taste! :wink:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:14 am

ksl wrote:
KSL writes:
Quote:

Nope not that stuff, ours is much more superior and comes in 12 flavours! Ours are real beverages much like fruit juice and aged brown rice, the closest thing to non alcoholic wine, with no vinegar taste! :wink:

I'm confused now . . . also about high uric acid content . . . wouldn't drinking vinegar exacerbate that?

More info, please, and moreover why drink this stuff? Is it an alternative to something?

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:47 am

Uric acid is a byproduct of the body breaking down primarily Purine (one of around 200 types of protein). As the body breaks it down it is normally flushed out of the body via the kidneys but if you have gout, then this chemical imbalance of the body will produce more uric acid faster than the body can flush it out of the system. This leads to uric acid in the blood stream where it tends to form crystals in the capillaries of joints (primarily in the high stress joints (big knuckle of the the big toe and the knees) the grinding of the crystals in those tendons causes the inflammations that we associate gout with. ksl has high levels of uric acid because of too much beer/wine/port as these have high levels of purine.

The vinegar won't do much for the uric acid, but getting off the booze will! :wink: The treatment usually used is stop eating/drinking what ever it is that is putting the purine into the system (preventative) and to get immediate relief is colchicine followed by a regime of Allopurinol tablets which inhibits production of uric acid.

I'm a 30 year gout sufferer (or I was before I change my life last year). :wink:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
I'm a 30 year gout sufferer (or I was before I change my life last year). :wink:

. . . as I noted above! :)

Thank you for the explanation . . . so there is no connection between uric acid and 'regular' acid. I see.

'nuff said Image

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 1:09 pm

Pick on me fine .....but you just leave Brooke alone, ya bully.

All the best for the new year guys

Cheers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 1:24 pm

bigfilsing wrote:Pick on me fine .....but you just leave Brooke alone, ya bully.

All the best for the new year guys

Cheers

:) All the best to you, too!

'nuff said Image

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 5:21 pm

Yep - a lot of spare time, but appreciated.

I personally miss WIMH.

Happy and prosperous new year to all.