Singapore Expats Forum

SP SERVICES

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

SP SERVICES

Postby ozchick » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 6:31 pm

This company really does take the cake for their strange billing system.
My latest account, read on Dec 12th shows an electricity reading of
-266kwh equalling an amount of $-57. How ridiculous to imply that I've used minus electricity :? There is a tiny water bill of $9 despite a leaking pipe that's been trickling constantly in the bathroom until repaired yesterday. Nowhere on the account does it say that the amounts listed are in liue of being overcharged in November. Yet clearly this is what's happened. Why don't they just adjust the amount owing according to their previous poor 'guesstimations' instead of ridiculous figures for usage that are straight out impossible. Great oddness.....
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 9:47 pm

They are not implying anything. They take your average for base period and based on that, estimate your current usage. If your usage actually went down considerably, then it's possible that you could have a negative bill on the month that they actually take the readings. As each month tells you whether or not it's an actual reading or an estimation, then it should be rather obvious that if, in the current month, say, you were on hols and the house was shut up with no, or very little, consumption, then when the reading were taken there are obviously going to be extremely low. Shouldn't need rocket science to figure that one out. You could also end up with the reverse if you had a break one month and through out the dude so only half the bits of protoplasm are wandering around the flat and the next month you decided to to a trip back to Oz for 2 or 3 weeks. If both fell in the Estimation range for the same quarter, then you could end up with a whopper of a bill, especially if you got lucky while on Hols and brought back the new beau to spend several weeks here! :cool:

Normally under the heading of 'Current Month Charges' each of the services will tell you, like in my case this month, "Electricity Estimated on 30-11/2009" whereas my bill the month before said "Reading taken on 30-10-2009" therefore designating that they actually read my meter on that date. The water reading/estimation will be the same while on the other hand, things like Refuse Removal will remain fixed. Water Conservation & GST taxes will vary based on the actual/estimated charges for the water consumption.

Sorted now? :wink:

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 13 Dec 2009 9:24 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: If both fell in the Estimation range for the same quarter, then you could end up with a whopper of a bill, especially if you got lucky while on Hols and brought back the new beau to spend several weeks here! :cool:

On the other hand if you'd just hoofed the PITA out you'd have lots of negative bills :)

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 13 Dec 2009 9:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They are not implying anything. They take your average for base period and based on that, estimate your current usage. If your usage actually went down considerably, then it's possible that you could have a negative bill on the month that they actually take the readings. As each month tells you whether or not it's an actual reading or an estimation, then it should be rather obvious that if, in the current month, say, you were on hols and the house was shut up with no, or very little, consumption, then when the reading were taken there are obviously going to be extremely low. Shouldn't need rocket science to figure that one out. You could also end up with the reverse if you had a break one month and through out the dude so only half the bits of protoplasm are wandering around the flat and the next month you decided to to a trip back to Oz for 2 or 3 weeks. If both fell in the Estimation range for the same quarter, then you could end up with a whopper of a bill, especially if you got lucky while on Hols and brought back the new beau to spend several weeks here! :cool:

Normally under the heading of 'Current Month Charges' each of the services will tell you, like in my case this month, "Electricity Estimated on 30-11/2009" whereas my bill the month before said "Reading taken on 30-10-2009" therefore designating that they actually read my meter on that date. The water reading/estimation will be the same while on the other hand, things like Refuse Removal will remain fixed. Water Conservation & GST taxes will vary based on the actual/estimated charges for the water consumption.

Sorted now? :wink:

Yeah yeah I KNOW ALL THIS! The point is that one cannot use negative electricity. Their 'reading' cannot be what they say it is (in the negative).
I would like a transparent bill. But with methods like they use, I ain't ever gonna get one. Still, it's nice to have a 'non-bill'!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Dec 2009 9:58 pm

How 'bout I call 'em up and tell them the send you a bill then that is equal to your average bill for the previous months then, just so you don't feel bad. You really must be bored if that's all you got to whinge about. :?

MinSG

Postby MinSG » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:36 am

Just wondering why SPS can't take actual reading every month. For my case, I just moved in my new condo in mid Sep and held some house warming sessions. My Oct bill showed S$330(actual reading). In mid Oct, my family has been out of SG for holiday till now and I switch off all electrical appliances(except fridge) before I go to work. Even when I came home after 7pm, I seldom watch TV and never use air-con. In all, my utility usage should be less than 20% of my first bill. However, my Nov bill showed SGD169(guesstimated) which was 50% of my first bill. I am wondering if my Dec bill would show negative amount if they do actual reading.

My point is, when they do poor guesstimations, we have to keep our money with them until the actual reading comes. My only question is, why can't they do actual reading every month?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:58 am

MinSG wrote: My only question is, why can't they do actual reading every month?

I'm guessing to cut down costs.

On the other hand, you could learn to read the meters and you can submit your own readings to them for the months when they do the guesstimates. That's what we do to avoid weird billing statements when you expect fluctuating usage. They can check the accuracy of your own readings anyway.

MinSG

Postby MinSG » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 1:52 pm

Yes, I thought of reading the meters myself. The problem is that the meters are locked in the room outside my unit and I don't have the keys. It will be inconvenient for me to always ask for the keys to read the meters every month. Also, I am not sure if the mgmt office would allow it.

Anyway, I will monitor it for next few months to see if the situation will improve.