Singapore Expats Forum

Protecting my $ from a greedy spouse and a vicious lawyer

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

savemenow

Protecting my $ from a greedy spouse and a vicious lawyer

Postby savemenow » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:29 pm

Hi..!

Well, I am going to be commencing divorce proceedings. My spouse is the vengeful, spiteful sort and she has made her intentions clear about making sure that she will get as much as possible from my assets. She has engaged a vicious lawyer to help.

Now, I am prepared to pay reasonable share of the assets and generous with the maintenance. But having slogged all my life (while she enjoyed my money), it is difficult to part with a substantial chunk.

The lawyer advises me to move my money overseas under the radar. I am wondering how this can be done:

1. Is it doable in the first place?
2. What are the specific steps that I should follow?
3. How do I ensure that this is done in secrecy and confidence?
4. Does anyone know any firm that does this for a price?

All advice appreciated :)

Thanks.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Protecting my $ from a greedy spouse and a vicious lawye

Postby ksl » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 1:39 pm

savemenow wrote:Hi..!

Well, I am going to be commencing divorce proceedings. My spouse is the vengeful, spiteful sort and she has made her intentions clear about making sure that she will get as much as possible from my assets. She has engaged a vicious lawyer to help.

Now, I am prepared to pay reasonable share of the assets and generous with the maintenance. But having slogged all my life (while she enjoyed my money), it is difficult to part with a substantial chunk.

The lawyer advises me to move my money overseas under the radar. I am wondering how this can be done:

1. Is it doable in the first place?
2. What are the specific steps that I should follow?
3. How do I ensure that this is done in secrecy and confidence?
4. Does anyone know any firm that does this for a price?

All advice appreciated :)

Thanks.

You must be careful of lawyers here, there have been a few that have run away with clients money, Once you jump on the band wagon, you are also committing a crime, your lawyer knows this! And may keep most of the proceeds if you follow instruction with him.

Be very careful, you are not entrapped by others, tell no one what you are about to do.

It's very easy to transfer money from one bank to another for reasons of paying debt, lets say owe your family members 200k it must be paid back, surely they are on your side. I would secretly invest it in gold bullion overseas, move it several times. Though depending how long you have been married she will get half of what you declare, if you do not declare the full amount a crime is committed!

If you have childen you may wish to invest it for them long term, you maintain control over the accounts but theoretically, it wouldn't be your assets but there's! If you recover the money from them, that is also something else. You could also give it too charity rather than your wife....though my thoughts are, you may not have been able to make all that money without her help, so it's your own conscience you have to deal with. It's going to be nasty and i have been through it! A woman scorned is a dangerous woman :) I think in all fairness, if she has any idea of your wealth, she's going to lie to get at it and you will lie to keep it. It is called survival
Last edited by ksl on Sat, 12 Dec 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mondaymorningquarterback
Regular
Regular

Postby mondaymorningquarterback » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 1:45 pm

Sorry to hear about your situation. The govt has tightened the laws recently to protect against money laundering etc. Theres a lot of restrictions when it comes to transfering money, especially when you are sending them offshore. You will leave a paper trail and her lawyer would love to use it as target practice. WHy not liquidate into cash and store it in a safe deposit box? If appropriate you might want to look into setting up a trust fund for yourself, your kids, or your parents.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 2:08 pm

mondaymorningquarterback wrote:Sorry to hear about your situation. The govt has tightened the laws recently to protect against money laundering etc. Theres a lot of restrictions when it comes to transfering money, especially when you are sending them offshore. You will leave a paper trail and her lawyer would love to use it as target practice. WHy not liquidate into cash and store it in a safe deposit box? If appropriate you might want to look into setting up a trust fund for yourself, your kids, or your parents.

I don't think trust funds in his name will help, it's still an asset, though the safety deposit box in another bank is ideal, they the accusers, have to discover the assets and prove it. Lying under oath is a serious offence.

I was made to cash in my long term endowment policies and the 5 antique collectors cars I owned where scrap cars with no real value at all, becuase that was my hobby....can you imagine the impression her lawyer was giving the judge, actually the judge awared my wife 80% of what i owned, because i was in the military, and therefore has he says don't have a need for these things.

She recieved a check book from the army, and i was left with 8 pounds a week, after 10 years service, after deducting my food and lodgings on the camp. My 22 year contract, I had to repurchase from the military, becuase of my financial situation, I hope he is able to turn it into cash and save it with his family help! better to trust family than outsiders, and even family can be a problem too, to get the money back!

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Koalabear » Mon, 21 Dec 2009 3:15 am

Do not try transfering money offshore now because its too late. Can you not divorce? I mean even if I hate the woman I will not divorce so she cant have my money =)