Singapore Expats Forum

Whats Boxing Day ??

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Portsdown

Whats Boxing Day ??

Postby Portsdown » Fri, 11 Dec 2009 7:56 pm

Boxing Day :???: ? I wanna know what people do on Boxing Day.. A good friend of mine is organising a Boxing Day Carnival event at the East Coast Park on the 27th of Dec, now this is something different from all the hub bub Christmas-y lunches and dinners you get all around.. So you people who do not know what to do or do not have anything else to do, wanna get together for a whatever people do Boxing Day?? :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Dec 2009 9:23 pm

You must be a Yank as well!. I had the same problem when I came here 27 years ago. Boxing Day is a hanger-on from Colonial British days here. It's the day after Christmas day and it was, the way I understand it, the day that the church poor boxes were opened and distributed to the poor in the church's parish/district. It's not what you would think, when the boys would get into fights over each other new toys when one wanted what the other had and take to boxing each other. :lol:

edited to add the following link:

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk ... ngday.html
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sat, 12 Dec 2009 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:28 am

I thought it was the day that merchants prepared boxes (gifts) to their employees or other workers for the holidays since they were busy till Christmas Eve and didn't work on Christmas.

:)

mauvecloud
Chatter
Chatter

Postby mauvecloud » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 1:30 am

i always thought it was the day unwanted/unsuitable christmas gifts were re-boxed and long queues were then formed in front of stores for purpose of exchanging the gifts (for the correct size, color, etc.) - that's what they told me back in moomooland.

of course, this only works if people have the foresight to include receipts with gifts. apparently the moomoolanders do.

Portsdown

Re: Whats Boxing Day ??

Postby Portsdown » Sat, 12 Dec 2009 4:02 pm

Portsdown wrote:Boxing Day :???: ? I wanna know what people do on Boxing Day.. A good friend of mine is organising a Boxing Day Carnival event at the East Coast Park on the 27th of Dec, now this is something different from all the hub bub Christmas-y lunches and dinners you get all around.. So you people who do not know what to do or do not have anything else to do, wanna get together for a whatever people do Boxing Day?? :)

So lets get together for Boxing Day,the 27th Dec that is.... Anyone interested?