Singapore Expats Forum

GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 2:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nah, that was just the trailer. The first act is coming when V finds the other thread.


(scrambles to find a better seat...)

sing07
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu, 06 Sep 2007

Wow

Postby sing07 » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 8:33 pm

Almost 3,000 views.. Im back from my travels.. In Japan they actually use indicators and pedestrians stop at cross walks n wait even when no cars around. Not to mention everyone stands to left on esclators..(yeah spelling who cares u know wht i mean) ha..

Anyway, Just to review for some:

1) I was ON a motorbike.
2) The 2 accidents here WERE the other drivers fault ( can send police report as they do follow up on these things)
3) The Universe? Talkin about drivin hunny, go back to Oprah..
4) N big mouth. get ur comics, into ur jammies n piss off..
Singapore was a colony of Britain (remember, thus the infrastructure duhh)

nuff said.. uuuhhhh

all is well...

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 9:16 pm

FWIW out of the 5 biggest morons I have encountered on the roads (from the pedestrian's POV), 2 were Westerners. And since we don't make up 40% of those behind the steering wheel, that does lead to some surprising conclusions.

At the same time jumping red lights seems to be rampant here, it's even ok to do it in front of the police it seems. In fact I haven't seen so many people plow through red since the last time I traveled to Egypt, where traffic lights are like a Christmas tree and serve purely decorative purposes.

pills
Member
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun, 12 Oct 2008

Postby pills » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 1:14 am

i think the taxi drivers are the worst here.


Signature lines should be one line or one icon in line with forum policy, please edit.


Moderator.



User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 2:40 am

Dunno about that, cabbies are higher in my book than some of the other drivers I've seen.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 7:46 am

aster wrote:FWIW out of the 5 biggest morons I have encountered on the roads (from the pedestrian's POV), 2 were Westerners. And since we don't make up 40% of those behind the steering wheel, that does lead to some surprising conclusions.

For curiosity sake, what these two Westerners have done?

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 8:29 am

aster wrote:And since we don't make up 40% of those behind the steering wheel, that does lead to some surprising conclusions.



Not really when you consider a disproportionate amount of Western expats have cars here.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 8:58 am

I would also be interested to know if they were rental cars or privately owned cars. Lots of western tourists rent cars when they come here. Unfamiliarity with the roads and laws here might have also had something to do with it as well.

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 9:55 am


User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:09 am

Yeah. Good example. Unfortunately! :-|

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:05 pm

I guess I should have differentiated between 1) bad driving due to bad driving skills 2) bad driving due to lack of manners

My 2 out of 5 was the latter, someone knowingly doing something on purpose, like not stopping for pedestrians even on a crossing and shooting past them literally inches away.

When it comes to the former though, I'm with you guys. Watch out for local drivers! I've even had some lady accelerate while I was crossing the street in front of her (her car was stopped), only to notice her look up and immediately hit the brakes, and then apologise in panic. Unreal... you even have to look out for cars that aren't moving here.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:06 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
aster wrote:And since we don't make up 40% of those behind the steering wheel, that does lead to some surprising conclusions.

Not really when you consider a disproportionate amount of Western expats have cars here.

More Western expats use cars (as a fraction of this particular social group) but the population is much smaller so how?

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Re: hello

Postby Splatted » Sat, 06 Feb 2010 1:08 pm

janette2120 wrote:
Splatted wrote:hmm.. not sure what to say about this.

At least you don't get crazies following you home after you cut them off, and bashing you in your car as you arrive home, like what happened here in Melbourne over the last week due to road rage.

my 2c worth:

a) drive 5km slower than the speed limit - you'll get there just as fast
b) accept the way Singaporeans drive, you'll feel a lot more relaxed.
c) MYOB. You wont achieve anything. They will never admit they were in the
wrong if you confront them, so why bother?
.......... ummmmmmmmmmm you can talk coz ur not living here mr high and mighty.......try living here for awhile hey before u start talking...... we almost had lotsa accidents coz some stupid singaporean just decided to get in our lane right in front of us no indicator nothing. the same problem we have with asian drivers in sydney we are having here grrrrrrrrrr.


Coming from someone that hasn't a clue how long I have actually lived in Singapore, that's a really "intelligent" reply. What else have you got?

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Sat, 20 Feb 2010 8:23 am

i dont get road rage as i dont have a car lol...but i get desk rage.i wish there was an eject the boss button . :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: hello

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Feb 2010 2:38 pm

Splatted wrote:
janette2120 wrote:
Splatted wrote:hmm.. not sure what to say about this.

At least you don't get crazies following you home after you cut them off, and bashing you in your car as you arrive home, like what happened here in Melbourne over the last week due to road rage.

my 2c worth:

a) drive 5km slower than the speed limit - you'll get there just as fast
b) accept the way Singaporeans drive, you'll feel a lot more relaxed.
c) MYOB. You wont achieve anything. They will never admit they were in the
wrong if you confront them, so why bother?
.......... ummmmmmmmmmm you can talk coz ur not living here mr high and mighty.......try living here for awhile hey before u start talking...... we almost had lotsa accidents coz some stupid singaporean just decided to get in our lane right in front of us no indicator nothing. the same problem we have with asian drivers in sydney we are having here grrrrrrrrrr.


Coming from someone that hasn't a clue how long I have actually lived in Singapore, that's a really "intelligent" reply. What else have you got?


Hopefully, Splatted, with that sad outburst, there cannot be too much left. One might start to think that she might be the cause of some of the frustrations. It's surprising the amount of "talent" here that doesn't have the talent to check out who they are replying to before doing one of these numbers......

Image

Guess they forget that there are more than "newbies" on here. :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest